Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
      USHL season ends, and UNH recruits

Patrick Grasso 60-22-21-43 34th overall
      Anthony Wyse (D) 54-2-17-19 165th
      Eric MacAdams 51-10-8-18 166th
      Joe Cipollone 47-7-3-10 T267th
      Eric Esposito 48-2-8-10 T267
      Aaron O'Neill 8-0-1-1
      A class with 8th place in HE written all over it.
      I went home with a waitress the way I always do
      How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

Comment

• Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
        A 15-year-old from Ontario who signs with an OHL team within hours of being drafted #28 in the OHL Priority Selection is not the type of kid who was thinking of playing NCAA hockey.
        Shouldn't the UNH coaches be able to unearth this?

Comment

• Originally posted by bothman View Post
          Shouldn't the UNH coaches be able to unearth this?
          Of course. I didn't say UNH or any other NCAA team was recruiting Hillis.
          In general, NCAA programs don't seriously look at a Canadian projected to be highly drafted by a major junior team unless the youngster's family, advisor, and/or coach send out the message that he is considering US colleges.
          Last edited by C-H-C; 04-10-2016, 01:12 PM.
          The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2016 and Beyond

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
            Of course. I didn't say UNH or any other NCAA team was recruiting Hillis.
            In general, NCAA programs don't seriously look at a Canadian projected to be highly drafted by a major junior team unless the youngster's family, advisor, and/or coach send out the message that he is considering US colleges.
            Hillis plays at St.Andrews, the school of Justin Fregona and Warren Foegele. He apparently visited and per hockeysfuture.com was using the NCAA option to dictate one of 4 teams to which he would report. I guess Guelph is one, though that doesn't seem a natural fit for this Toronto kid.

bomberhockey
            01-06-2016, 08:32 PM
            recruiting is starting to be more focused! Word has it Souza and Stewie had the top 2000 recruit on campus recently, just MVP of Midget Minor Silver Stick in Ontario!
            The Souza record:
            15-16 10th place
            16-17 10th place
            17-18 11th place
            18-19 8th place
            19-20 9th place
            20-21 10th place
            21-22 9th place
            22-23 10th place

Comment

An important element in recruiting is connections/relationships. If Cameron Hillis made an unofficial visit to UNH (at the family's expense), then St. Andrew's Coach David Manning probably had something to do with it. Manning played for former UNH coach Jim Tortorella at Colby College. Foegele and Fregona committed to UNH when Tortorella was an Associate Head Coach at UNH.

If Hillis visited UNH on the suggestion of Manning, even if Hillis turned out to be not all that interested in the NCAA, then that's a good thing. St. Andrew's, a previously obscure prep school in Ontario, has been turning out some very good players (e.g., Foegele, Fregona, Sinclair [Harvard], and Cho [RPI]).

Hillis was characterized as the "apple" of UNH's eye, implying that UNH went hard for him and whiffed. If Hillis was using his "interest" in NCAA programs as leverage with OHL teams, I'm confident that UNH was aware of it. I'd prefer that Souza et al continue to pursue top 15 and 16-year-old Canadiens as if UNH was still a major player in the recruiting game. To not do so would be surrendering to permanent 2nd class status.

Comment

An important element in recruiting is connections/relationships. If Cameron Hillis made an unofficial visit to UNH (at the family's expense), then St. Andrew's Coach David Manning probably had something to do with it. Manning played for former UNH coach Jim Tortorella at Colby College. Foegele and Fregona committed to UNH when Tortorella was an Associate Head Coach at UNH.

If Hillis visited UNH on the suggestion of Manning, even if Hillis turned out to be not all that interested in the NCAA, then that's a good thing. St. Andrew's, a previously obscure prep school in Ontario, has been turning out some very good players (e.g., Foegele, Fregona, Sinclair [Harvard], and Cho [RPI]).

Hillis was characterized as the "apple" of UNH's eye, implying that UNH went hard for him and whiffed. If Hillis was using his "interest" in NCAA programs as leverage with OHL teams, I'm confident that UNH was aware of it. I'd prefer that Souza et al continue to pursue top 15 and 16-year-old Canadiens as if UNH was still a major player in the recruiting game. To not do so would be surrendering to permanent 2nd class status.
                Naturally, I do not have the savvy to understand the main points of this discussion regarding this player but am trying to get it...so please correct me if I'm wrong if I say that it's good to see that YES, UNH is INDEED working toward getting top players...but they, may not be interested in us? For example believe I heard that Jack E toured the campus but had Beanpot visions dancing in his head... Can't imagine they (coaches) aren't giving it their best shot with top prospects. Hate to say it but geeze its kind of obvious what you need to win a NC and it's more than one, Poturalski...(ya think?) And I feel better in knowing that we are at least, trying for them. (Just wanna sign 'em....) If i'm full of it just be nice and educate, please and thank you....
                I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

I agree. They need to get elite players, and he seemed a possible NCAA player.
                  The Souza record:
                  15-16 10th place
                  16-17 10th place
                  17-18 11th place
                  18-19 8th place
                  19-20 9th place
                  20-21 10th place
                  21-22 9th place
                  22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                    Naturally, I do not have the savvy to understand the main points of this discussion regarding this player but am trying to get it...so please correct me if I'm wrong if I say that it's good to see that YES, UNH is INDEED working toward getting top players...but they, may not be interested in us? For example believe I heard that Jack E toured the campus but had Beanpot visions dancing in his head... Can't imagine they (coaches) aren't giving it their best shot with top prospects. Hate to say it but geeze its kind of obvious what you need to win a NC and it's more than one, Poturalski...(ya think?) And I feel better in knowing that we are at least, trying for them. (Just wanna sign 'em....) If i'm full of it just be nice and educate, please and thank you....
                    First of all, there isn't any real indication that UNH is targeting and chasing top kids. They are supposedly 'swinging for the fences' yet they have not done any better than a seeing eye single and have now missed out on the only high-end player they can legitimately be connected to (though we are now being told it's not a whiff because he was an OHL lock all along.)

Eichel is NOTHING more than another player in a LONG line of talented players that attended Borek's UNH camp with their teams and never truly considered UNH. They get a tour during the camp - it doesn't mean any of them are interested. And as I've mentioned before, you get no credit for getting kids to camp or verballing kids who never show up...

Borek was doing a poor job - and as of now there has been no indication that Souza is any better. At least Borek landed a kid worth being excited about every once in a while. UNH under Souza - to date - is either admitting defeat and chasing second rate kids, unable to properly evaluate properly or proving its inability to be competitive for top kids and settling for second rate kids. One scenario may make some feel better but they're all garbage in reality...

It's been a year - sorry if that opinion Ruffles some feathers but that is simply a true evaluation of what has happened so far. Facts, not rationalization or BS.

I'm sure someone will want to tell me about a current commit who turned down BC, North Dakota and the Minnesota Wild - unfortunately as we've seen so far that will not only be news to me but news to the player as well....

I'll bet Pablo Sandoval was swinging for the 'fences' yesterday too - 0-4, 3 Ks...

But when you have a lazy AD, who is unable to stand up to a coach who has proven himself completely out of touch with college hockey in 2016 what can we really expect...
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

I haven't written off Coach Souza or Stewart as failures, in either the recruiting or coaching domains. It's obvious a few have concluded they won't succeed because they were Umile's choices- guilty of inadequacy by association. To each his own.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        First of all, there isn't any real indication that UNH is targeting and chasing top kids. They are supposedly 'swinging for the fences' yet they have not done any better than a seeing eye single and have now missed out on the only high-end player they can legitimately be connected to (though we are now being told it's not a whiff because he was an OHL lock all along.)

Eichel is NOTHING more than another player in a LONG line of talented players that attended Borek's UNH camp with their teams and never truly considered UNH. They get a tour during the camp - it doesn't mean any of them are interested. And as I've mentioned before, you get no credit for getting kids to camp or verballing kids who never show up...

Borek was doing a poor job - and as of now there has been no indication that Souza is any better. At least Borek landed a kid worth being excited about every once in a while. UNH under Souza - to date - is either admitting defeat and chasing second rate kids, unable to properly evaluate properly or proving its inability to be competitive for top kids and settling for second rate kids. One scenario may make some feel better but they're all garbage in reality...

It's been a year - sorry if that opinion Ruffles some feathers but that is simply a true evaluation of what has happened so far. Facts, not rationalization or BS.

I'm sure someone will want to tell me about a current commit who turned down BC, North Dakota and the Minnesota Wild - unfortunately as we've seen so far that will not only be news to me but news to the player as well....

I'll bet Pablo Sandoval was swinging for the 'fences' yesterday too - 0-4, 3 Ks...

But when you have a lazy AD, who is unable to stand up to a coach who has proven himself completely out of touch with college hockey in 2016 what can we really expect...
                        Dan stick to recruiting softball players!

Comment

I haven't written off Coach Souza or Stewart as failures, in either the recruiting or coaching domains. It's obvious a few have concluded they won't succeed because they were Umile's choices- guilty of inadequacy by association. To each his own.
                          I haven't written them off, either, and am rooting hard for him. (Not sure how Stewart is lumped in here. To my view he doesn't seem as much a failure as he seems to have been marginalized.) Written off suggests something immutable. Obviously, at age 37 with only 8 months on the job, that would be unfair. However, I feel like I have graded him fairly for his performance during that period.

1. What are your impressions of the first year of recruiting?

I have thoughts about the hiring plan that I have edited in an effort to be fair to him, and when I have commented, I have focused it on the role of others (Umile/Scarano). I do wonder about the Umile link -- not necessarily guilt by association, but rather that by Umile forcing someone on the process he necessarily is associated with Souza. That is something that Souza knew and accepted upon taking the job he really could not pass up, so I don't feel it is unfair to mention it in the equation.

In closing, the association with Umile is far less important than two other items -- the seeming lack of plan this year, and then the few tidbits about what style of player they want (size). Not really my preferred choice.
                          Last edited by NCAA watcher; 04-10-2016, 06:28 PM.
                          The Souza record:
                          15-16 10th place
                          16-17 10th place
                          17-18 11th place
                          18-19 8th place
                          19-20 9th place
                          20-21 10th place
                          21-22 9th place
                          22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                            I'm on the verge of writing off Souza because the first year of his recruiting oversight has yet to yield a top-six forward or a top-pair defenseman on a top - half HE team. The most significant recruiting developments of his tenure has been inability to keep Farabee or Ryzcek. As a result, I question the decision to give a coach who has done a poor job recently the sole decision making initiative for this transition. Some others feel anyone associated with UNH can do no wrong or are simply elite by association, to each his own...

Bomber, what's your point - are you upset because I am judging Borek due to the players he got to campus or the results of the teams he built? Or do you disagree and feel that Souza is doing an exceptional job to date? You were the one who told us players like Hillis were strongly considering UNH - so where are they?
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                              I haven't written them off, either, and am rooting hard for him. (Not sure how Stewart is lumped in here. To my view he doesn't seem as much a failure as he seems to have been marginalized.)

So I will ask you two questions:
                              1. Do you think Souza was the most qualified candidate? (or, to avoid tricky superlatives such as "most qualified", do you find his resume to be of the ilk of other top young assistants out there?)
                              2. What are your impressions of the first year of recruiting?

I do wonder about the Umile link -- not necessarily guilt by association, but rather that by Umile forcing someone on the process he necessarily is associated with Souza.
                              Good questions that require some thought.

The succession model that has justifiably gained credibility is getting rid of the Head Coach and his associates, usually by buying out their contracts, and hiring an up and coming coach with HC experience. Certainly, UMass is hoping that works.

I don't know all the intricacies of Umile's contract situation last summer, but it seems possible it would have been difficult to force him to retire, buy out Stewart, and do a nationwide search for a Head Coach. Regardless, that ship has sailed. UNH doesn't have the resources to buy out Umile, Stewart, and Souza.

People I respect (former players, a couple scouts) think Souza will be a very good head coach in time. They say he's personable, smart, enthusiastic, and able to relate to 15-24 year olds. After missing the NCAA tournament 4 of the last 5 years, the pressure is certainly on.

I think Souza didn't have the luxury of bringing UConn verbal commits with him when he came to UNH. He was starting fresh. Reportedly, Eric MacAdams was someone he was following while at UConn. He looks like he has the potential to be a Souza-type player (i.e., power forward). Picking up Anthony Wyse after Dartmouth wouldn't accept him is a solid addition, particularly given the need for a couple bigger defenseman.

Regardless of what fans think about Borek's track record, he had developed extensive contacts that helped him land kids like Ryczek and Farabee. It may take Souza some time to build up that many contacts.

Would it be cleaner to have Umile graciously step aside and hand the reins to Souza next year or the year after? Maybe. That would give Souza the opportunity to hire an assistant of his choice (e.g., a former defenseman). On the other hand, I think recruits must realize they will ultimately be playing for Souza not Umile. In some cases, Umile will be helpful in closing the deal with select recruits. He is still respected in some quarters.

The success of a recruiter and head coach comes down to their powers of persuasion and understanding of the strategies that lead to success on the ice. Given his somewhat limited experience as an NCAA assistant and associate head coach, there's no guarantee that Souza will ultimately succeed. One thing in his favor is that current players reportedly believe they earn ice time by working hard and excelling in practice. That's a good sign.

Comment

1. Do you think Souza was the most qualified candidate? (or, to avoid tricky superlatives such as "most qualified", do you find his resume to be of the ilk of other top young assistants out there?)
                                People I respect (former players, a couple scouts) think Souza will be a very good head coach in time. They say he's personable, smart, enthusiastic, and able to relate to 15-24 year olds. ...

It may take Souza some time to build up that many contacts.....

Given his somewhat limited experience as an NCAA assistant and associate head coach, there's no guarantee that Souza will ultimately succeed.
                                Reading between the lines, let's say we seem to be on the same page. You are just a bit less blunt than I am.
                                The Souza record:
                                15-16 10th place
                                16-17 10th place
                                17-18 11th place
                                18-19 8th place
                                19-20 9th place
                                20-21 10th place
                                21-22 9th place
                                22-23 10th place

Comment

Working...
                                X