This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
    Reading between the lines, let's say we seem to be on the same page. You are just a bit less blunt than I am.
    One other thing worth mentioning - Souza apparently developed contacts in Minnesota - not a typical recruiting area for UNH. UConn sophomores Naas and Austin are from Minnesota as is 2017 commit Mayer. Time will tell if those contacts pay off in the future.
    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2016 and Beyond

How about New Jersey?

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        How about New Jersey?
        Penn State, Quinnipiac and UConn have become attractive destinations for some New Jersey and downstate New York kids. It's not a good sign that no Jersey Hitmen players have committed to UNH since Furgele. Brett Pesce, Matt Willows and Collin MacDonald played for the Hitmen.
        Last edited by C-H-C; 04-10-2016, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Kudos to all for some great discussion on here over the last 24 hours. Good stuff.
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
            I think Souza didn't have the luxury of bringing UConn verbal commits with him when he came to UNH. He was starting fresh.
            He's not starting fresh - even if this was something that was agreed to, like any recruiter Souza would have a LONG list of players available to him. Players UConn was just talking too, players that he liked but Cavanaugh did not, players interested in spots that were already filled at UConn, players who were not interested in UConn, players that he had only recently discovered, etc, etc, etc.

Regardless of what fans think about Borek's track record, he had developed extensive contacts that helped him land kids like Ryczek and Farabee. It may take Souza some time to build up that many contacts.
            Souza has coached for five seasons, played professionally for 11 years and grew up playing hockey with countless players and coaches through his time at UNH. I'm sure a personable guy like himself has made a number of connections. Certainly enough, in this day and age - where kids all flock to the same teams, leagues and tournaments - to identify and have access to top talent. This is not the 1970's where connections might lead you to a complete unknown. Ref mentioned Souza's use of the internet - every player, stat, schedule, scouting report, video, etc., you could want is available. Meanwhile, while an occasional club coach with an ego may do everything he can to send players to BC, BU, UM, ND, etc, 98% will simply hope for the best fit for every prospect. UNH is getting its call returned if they see someone and feel the need to contact a coach...

These seem to me to be two half-hearted attempts to rationalize the slow start. I don't think you do, but if you truly believe he has no connections and had to start fresh because he lacked recruiting awareness beyond UConn verbals, than what are his qualifications for his current job? Let alone his future position...

Reportedly, Eric MacAdams was someone he was following while at UConn. He looks like he has the potential to be a Souza-type player (i.e., power forward). Picking up Anthony Wyse after Dartmouth wouldn't accept him is a solid addition, particularly given the need for a couple bigger defenseman.
            Souza has never been the primary recruiter - Cavanaugh was the closer and decision maker at UConn. That's a fact. That's why after an entire year, we've picked up three emergency replacements to fill holes on the current roster and just three future recruits. At best, he will overcome his inexperience in evaluation, decision making and ultimately pulling the trigger. At worst, his extremely limited track record is who he is...

The three future recruits are MacAdams, who as Watcher noted scored just 10-8-18 as an 18 year old in the USHL (For reference, in the same respective year Jason Kalinowski scored 8-23-31, Casey Thrush scored 10-18-28, Jamie Hill scored 11-12-23, Jay Camper scored 9-12-21 and Max Gaudreault scored 6-8-14) and two project defensemen who would still be available next fall, if not next spring...
            Last edited by Dan; 04-11-2016, 11:19 AM.
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

Penn State, Quinnipiac and UConn have become attractive destinations for some New Jersey and downstate New York kids. It's not a good sign that no Jersey Hitmen players have committed to UNH since Furgele. Brett Pesce, Matt Willows and Collin MacDonald played for the Hitmen.
              Actually, its a great thing - UNH's biggest problem is too many kids from other Eastern junior league teams. BC and Quinnipiac - the two schools representing the East in the FF - combined for 7 players matriculating directly to college out of the Eastern leagues, while UNH had 8. One of the seven for BC/QU was an emergency goalie and at least three were players who choose to stay East. Only two were major players - Fitzgerald & Clifton...

UNH needs more top kids from the USHL and the BCHL and less late-bloomers from the USPHL or EHL. The top Eastern kids (wherever they're from) likely play Prep, are good enough to go West, or both - those that remain are few and far between and over run by the rest of the 'talent' who put up gaudy numbers against DIII fodder. Of the four you mentioned above, one chose to stay East early then came to UNH ahead of schedule thus missing his year in the USHL (or potentially the USNTDP), another was a late bloomer who played a big role at UNH only because of his supporting cast, while the other two...
              Last edited by Dan; 04-10-2016, 10:05 PM.
              Live Free or Die!!
              Miami University '03

Comment

One other thing worth mentioning - Souza apparently developed contacts in Minnesota - not a typical recruiting area for UNH. UConn sophomores Naas and Austin are from Minnesota as is 2017 commit Mayer. Time will tell if those contacts pay off in the future.
                So much for that, Souza not involved in Naas or Austin recruiting...

http://www.courant.com/sports/colleg...016-story.html

Cavanaugh recruits Minnesota. Cavanaugh made/makes closes and decisions for UConn...
                Last edited by Dan; 04-10-2016, 10:22 PM.
                Live Free or Die!!
                Miami University '03

Comment

I don't make stuff up. A scout who covers Minnesota for a junior hockey team told me Souza spent many hours out there on the trail of Naas, Austin, and Mayer. I also did not fabricate the information that Wisconsin and BU, in addition to Vermont and Maine, were pursuing Anthony Wyse. I don't appreciate having my integrity impugned.
                  Last edited by C-H-C; 04-10-2016, 11:06 PM.

Comment

I don't make stuff up. A scout who covers Minnesota for a junior hockey team told me Souza spent many hours out there on the trail of Naas, Austin, and Mayer. I also did not fabricate the report that Wisconsin and BU, in addition to Vermont and Maine, were pursuing Anthony Wyse. I don't appreciate having my integrity impugned.
                    I haven't accused you of making anything up - I've simply done some research that indicates the anecdotal evidence (which could have easily been innocently misinterpreted any number of ways) that you have heard may not be correct. Unless you think Cavanaugh is lying about how he discovered the Minnesota recruits, that certainly seems to be the case here.

There is a difference between identifying and closing a recruit and simply following up on a recruit from the bleachers. You'd be surprised how much of their limited NCAA recruiting time college coaches waste 'babysitting' kids who have already committed. Easy misinterpretation...

As far as Wyse and Bahn interest - there is also a difference between catching a game, making a phone call, sending an email or establishing an insurance policy and legitimate interest (i.e. a financial offer). I have always assumed that was simply lost in translation or misinterpreted by your scouts, but it is still extremely important to note for accuracy. I'm not sure why you're sensitive about acknowledging that after Wyse and Bahn's quotes in your own interviews have indicated that's what the 'interest' was (I'd imagine if you were devious enough to fabricate the truth, you'd simply alter the interviews - but you don't, so no one questions your integrity)...

I'll continue to follow recruiting and do the work to understand as best I can what is ACTUALLY happening. Sometimes I'll follow up here to set the record straight or offer alternative perspective. The frustration I feel over the distance between what is reported and reality is what it illustrates for this recruiting regime and not the reporting itself. Its not an attack on your work, but just the same apologies in advance...
                    Last edited by Dan; 04-10-2016, 11:23 PM.
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      I haven't accused you of making anything up - I've simply done some research that indicates the anecdotal evidence (which could have easily been innocently misinterpreted any number of ways) that you have heard may not be correct. Unless you think Cavanaugh is lying about how he discovered the Minnesota recruits, that certainly seems to be the case.

As far as Wyse and Bahn interest - there is a difference between catching a game or sending an email and legitimate interest (i.e. a financial offer). I assume that was simply lost in translation from your scout, but it is still extremely important to note for accuracy. I'm not sure why you're sensitive about acknowledging that after Wyse and Bahn's quotes in your own interviews have indicated that is the case.

I'll continue to follow recruiting and do the work to understand as best I can what is actually happening. Sometimes I'll follow up here to set the record straight or offer alternative perspective. Its not an attack on your work, but just the same apologies in advance...
                      I have no doubt that Cavanugh is telling the truth in that newspaper article. I was conveying what was told to me by a source I trust. Cavanaugh pursuing recruits in Minnesota and Souza doing the same during the same time frame are not mutually exclusive. You stated "so much for that, Souza not involved in Naas or Austin recruiting" as if it was a fact. A few months ago I suggested you clarify when you are stating facts vs expressing your opinion. My suggestion is still relevant.

Comment

I have no doubt that Cavanugh is telling the truth in that newspaper article. I was conveying what was told to me by a source I trust. Cavanaugh pursuing recruits in Minnesota and Souza doing the same during the same time frame are not mutually exclusive. You stated "so much for that, Souza not involved in Naas or Austin recruiting" as if it was a fact. A few months ago I suggested you clarify when you are stating facts vs expressing your opinion. My suggestion is still relevant.
                        At least you quoted me this time - less passive aggressive that way. If you'd actually engage in discussion these days (and not just drop in to post your pro-UNH recruiting propaganda) maybe we could clear some stuff up together. As far as the bolded type - take your own advice. You are no different than anyone else in here. We all have sources. Why you think yours are the only ones that matter are beyond me...

Cavanaugh's description of the story (Which you believe) was he found the two of them, sent the other assistant out to cross-check and then immediately offered. FYI, That is not MY opinion of the events, but Cavanaugh's. Actually, it is also my opinion, as it was reported to me by a newspaper I trust...

Don't get angry at me because the actual evidence doesn't jib with what your scout told you...
                        Last edited by Dan; 04-11-2016, 12:05 AM.
                        Live Free or Die!!
                        Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          At least you quoted me this time - less passive aggressive that way. If you'd actually engage in discussion these days (and not just drop in to post your puff pieces) maybe we could clear some stuff up together. As far as the bolded type - take your own advice. You are no different than anyone else in here. We all have sources. Why you think yours are the only ones that matter are beyond me...

Cavanaugh's description of the story (Which you believe) was he found them, sent the other assistant out to cross-check and then immediately offered. FYI, That is not MY opinion of the events, but Cavanaugh's. Don't get angry at me because the evidence doesn't jib with what your scout told you...
                          If you were trying to encourage a discussion, editing your post to include a snipe about my "puff pieces'" wasn't the best way to go about it.
                          Watcher asked me some fair questions and he did so with respect. I'm happy to engage in a discussion with anyone who extends a modest level of respect.

Comment

If you were trying to encourage a discussion, editing your post to include a snipe about my "puff pieces'" wasn't the best way to go about it.
                            Watcher asked me some fair questions and he did so with respect. I'm happily to engage in a discussion with anyone who extends a modest level of respect.
                            That was part of the original post. Frankly, I'd like to see a little more actual analysis and objectivity. If you're so well connected to scouts, then maybe you could write a little more about what's happening behind the scenes, good and bad. As far as discussion, I'm not talking about today. You used to post often, now you never do unless its a story or a fly-by, unattributed shot at posts by someone else asserting the superiority of your sources and opinions over others. Is that the type of respect you mean? I will no longer ignore those posts and will continue to respond in kind...

If you have thoughts and opinions or facts on the matter, then get involved on a regular basis so the rest of us (me) aren't so misinformed...
                            Last edited by Dan; 04-11-2016, 12:14 AM.
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

Now I remember why I stopped posting on the UNH threads. Thanks for the questions Watcher and Snively65. I appreciate the spirit in which you raised them and hope you consider my answers for whatever they're worth.
                              Last edited by C-H-C; 04-11-2016, 12:34 AM.

Comment

I will add one thing here. It is a huge misconception that players go thru their coaches in juniors on the recruiting front. They could care less what junior coaches think. They make their decision with their parents and know all about the schools before they are recruited. Chances of a player going to one school vs another based on a push by a USHL or BCHL coach is zero, zero. They might push a walk in to a certain program, even than maybe. Any too 3 and mist 4th line types are recruited directly by the colleges. Internet, profile events make virtually all recruits available and few hidden gems

Comment

Working...
                                X