This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Excellent post, and can't disagree with your basic premise. It's why the term "20 year old freshman" is seemingly synonymous with college hockey, and really nothing else. Whether it's to capitalize on the excess supply coming out of Canada and/or giving prep schools another raison d'etre, it's hard to justify a kid matriculating at 20 or *graduating* at 24 (or even running out of eligibility at 25 in some cases). Heck - our youngest graduates UNH this weekend at age 20, and our eldest graduated several years ago with a Masters at age 22. A good slice of the hockey program's players are virtually just getting started at those ages. And when the best answer you get to the question "Why?" is "Just because" then maybe it's time to go back to the drawing board and get a better answer.

I'm also not a huge fan of the so-called "redshirt" either. I think (assume?) that's been around for most of my lifetime, but it seems like just another device for the schools to maximize an asset's lifespan within their programs. While redshirting isn't a big factor in most D-1 hockey programs, it seems to be the tool of choice for the big-time football factories. Tighten all of that stuff up, and *maybe* the NCAA can make a convincing argument they're prioritizing the "C" (collegiate) instead of the $$$$$.

Totally agree, HR. It's why I try to only be generally aware of the recruiting game (while respecting those who know the various ins and outs down cold) for D-1 hockey ... which was admittedly a lot easier in the first half of Coach's UNH career, when they had things working and you just trusted that most of the new kids would find their D-1 footing and keep the program moving forward competitively. Now that it's not happening, I suppose it's only human to want to see what's gone wrong with the process and understand how to fix it. I'm running out of time to see UNH back in the mix at the top of D-1, and they still seem to be either stuck in neutral or falling slowly deeper into the competitive quicksand. So I guess then it's all about me.
    Congrats on your daughters graduation Chuck!! We are going too to support our friends son who passed away this winter but alas I am leaving the infamous Pom Pom in the car so you won't be able to pick me out of the crowd 😉🙄 As will be said about 50 times "It's a great day to be a Wildcat"!!
    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2016 and Beyond

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
      Providence is so stacked that it just deferred the BCHL's 4th leading scorer (Kawaguchi)
      Deferred or parting of ways
      Last edited by NCAA watcher; 05-21-2016, 03:29 PM.
      The Souza record:
      15-16 10th place
      16-17 10th place
      17-18 11th place
      18-19 8th place
      19-20 9th place
      20-21 10th place
      21-22 9th place
      22-23 10th place

Comment

• “@MarkDivver: .@FriarsHockey and Chilliwack's Jordan Kawaguchi recently parted ways. Word is he quickly had offers from a Big Ten and an @TheNCHC school.”

And this is unrelated

“@MarkDivver: Hearing three @hockey_east & one Big 10 school in mix for @BLMThunder captain Jake Slaker, a former @SkatingSaints commit.”
        Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

UNH, Providence and Brown offered an athletic scholarship to Selects Academy forward Connor Marshall (2/10/98). He verbally committed to Brown.
          https://www.neutralzone.net/2016/05/...commits-brown/
          The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
            UNH, Providence and Brown offered an athletic scholarship to Selects Academy forward Connor Marshall (2/10/98). He verbally committed to Brown.
            Sounds like the kid was impressed with the City of Providence, and Brown was his best chance to play?
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              Sounds like the kid was impressed with the City of Providence, and Brown was his best chance to play?
              I think for recruits with a high level of scholastic aptitude, it's hard to turn down an Ivy League education. No doubt, their parents also see the advantages of the Ivies. As you say, the opportunity to earn more playing time at Brown vs PC probably enters into his decision as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                I think Kawaguchi is an example of the difficult situation facing college recruiters. As C-H-C noted last year, there really would not be a lot of space for UNH to offer him. Meanwhile, Providence has made space for upgrades in recruits, cutting loose Cam Lee (for Ryczek), Matt Alvaro, Tom Aldworth, Jake Henderson, Ted Hart, Terrance Amorso and Dylan McLaughlin, and Ori Abramson in just the past 4 years.
                UNH has started this a bit. It is annoying to see Borek be able to walk away from his mistakes, saddle UNH while taking advantage of his cap flexibility.

So, do you join the dark side and overrecruit, or do you lock yourself out of getting good recruits by being virtuous?
                Come on, Borek had no choice but to live with his "mistakes" at UNH. It wasn't his job to move on from guys that didn't cut it is it? He didn't have the power many think he had, and what power he did have he begged to share with the guy at the top. Not his decision period!

Comment

• Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                  Brown has athletic scholarships?

Comment

• Originally posted by bomberhockey View Post
                    Brown has athletic scholarships?
                    I'm well aware that Ivies offer other forms of financial aid to it's students who happen to be exceptional athletes.
                    Last edited by C-H-C; 05-22-2016, 12:05 PM.

Comment

2016 UNH Commit Liam Blackburn and the West Kelowna Warriors play for the RBC Cup (Canadian Junior A Championship) later today. Blackburn is tied for the second highest points in the tournament.

http://stats.hockeycanada.ca/schedul...bseason=304534

Comment

Liam Blackburn & West Kelowna win RBC Cup/Canadian Junior A Championship. Blackburn scored 4 goals - 1 EV, 2 SH, 1 Shootout - plus 4 assists in 6 tournament games. Was the tournament's leading scorer. Signed National Letter of Intent November 2014. Set to enroll at UNH this Fall.

Comment

• Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                          Liam Blackburn & West Kelowna win RBC Cup/Canadian Junior A Championship. Blackburn scored 4 goals - 1 EV, 2 SH, 1 Shootout - plus 4 assists in 6 tournament games. Was the tournament's leading scorer. Signed National Letter of Intent November 2014. Set to enroll at UNH this Fall.
                          Fingers crossed that he does not decommit in the next three months. And, if he does show up in Durham, I hope that he gets lots of ice time right away.

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                            I'm well aware that Ivies offer other forms of financial aid to it's students who happen to be exceptional athletes.
                            Ivy "scholarships"/financial aid have always been a mystery to me. My sense is that they don't call them athletic scholarships but that it's also not pure financial aid right out of the same pool that the general group of students gets it from; that the coach must have his own bucket of money, he just has to run it through the Financial Aid office and not just the Athletic Department.

But I'd love to hear from someone who knows. Always been something I was curious about.
                            I went home with a waitress the way I always do
                            How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              Fingers crossed that he does not decommit in the next three months. And, if he does show up in Durham, I hope that he gets lots of ice time right away.
                              Sorry for the question but can they decommit after signing an NLI? Like last summer when we lost Masonius; I don't think he had signed an NLI and that was more of an admissions issue, if I remember correctly? As per getting alot of ice time, we all know the answer to that question if history repeats itself but I think this kid will skate mega mins once he gets the hang of D1. But that remains to be seen...of course.

Like I said in an earlier post...guess I'll wait and see who shows up and puts the jersey on. Safer and lots less stress that way...

Comment

Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
                                Ivy "scholarships"/financial aid have always been a mystery to me. My sense is that they don't call them athletic scholarships but that it's also not pure financial aid right out of the same pool that the general group of students gets it from; that the coach must have his own bucket of money, he just has to run it through the Financial Aid office and not just the Athletic Department.

But I'd love to hear from someone who knows. Always been something I was curious about.
                                Short, google generated answer:

Ivy League schools provide financial aid to students, including athletes, only on the basis of financial need as determined by each institution's Financial Aid Office. There are no academic or athletic scholarships in the Ivy League.

Comment

Working...
                                X