Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI & Union @ Harvard & Dartmouth (2/12, 2/13)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI & Union @ Harvard & Dartmouth (2/12, 2/13)

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
    ok, i'm done with this "not playing for 60 minutes" garbage.
    This team has never quit, thrown in the towel, or given up. They play a passive game that can look like they are not playing, but they are.
    As a devil's fan, i have seen a team play that style and win three stanley cups. They played defense and relied on their goalie.
    They also had the personnel to get away with it.
    Stop criticizing this team for lack of play. They need to be aggressive. They don't have the personnel to just sit back.
    The team is fine, the system in not.
    b.i.n.g.o!
    Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Ok, I'm done with this "not playing for 60 minutes" garbage.
      This team has never quit, thrown in the towel, or given up. They play a passive game that can look like they are not playing, but they are.
      As a Devil's fan, I have seen a team play that style and win three Stanley Cups. They played defense and relied on their goalie.
      They also had the personnel to get away with it.
      Stop criticizing this team for lack of play. They need to be aggressive. They don't have the personnel to just sit back.
      EHF, as a Ranger season ticket holder who has been going to MSG since the early 70's, I am quite painfully aware of those Lamoriello teams. The reason why the Devils were so successful with that left wing lock was that they had interchangeable parts, i.e., a bench (and Scott Stevens and Brodeur). Those teams were so in lock-step that they played like "The Borg." This RPI team does have Kasdorf but nothing like Stevens to police the blue line. RPI not having that kind of depth nor the discipline limits the ability to play that system as we have seen time after time. I absolutely agree they have to be aggressive but that is not what they have been often. Nobody said they have quit. And it isn't throwing in the towel either, but it is not having your foot on the accelerator at all times. If you accept that going into a shell and hoping that Kasdorf can save your bacon is satisfactory, then fine, we can certainly disagree on what it means to play for 60 minutes. My definition of playing for 60 minutes is being aggressive for 60 minutes. You darn well know that our opponents will.
      "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Comment

Originally posted by DeepRed72 View Post
        EHF, as a Ranger season ticket holder who has been going to MSG since the early 70's, I am quite painfully aware of those Lamoriello teams. The reason why the Devils were so successful with that left wing lock was that they had interchangeable parts, i.e., a bench (and Scott Stevens and Brodeur). Those teams were so in lock-step that they played like "The Borg." This RPI team does have Kasdorf but nothing like Stevens to police the blue line. RPI not having that kind of depth nor the discipline limits the ability to play that system as we have seen time after time. I absolutely agree they have to be aggressive but that is not what they have been often. Nobody said they have quit. And it isn't throwing in the towel either, but it is not having your foot on the accelerator at all times. If you accept that going into a shell and hoping that Kasdorf can save your bacon is satisfactory, then fine, we can certainly disagree on what it means to play for 60 minutes. My definition of playing for 60 minutes is being aggressive for 60 minutes. You darn well know that our opponents will.
        DR72 I totally agree with your assessment of the Devils. I tried to say it by pointing out that they had the personnel to play that style.
        As for playing for 60 minutes, it has nothing to do with aggression. It is playing your system for 60 minutes. Now you and I would love to see them be more aggressive, but if they are continuing to keep the puck to the outside and giving up their bodies to block shots, that shows me that they are playing their game. Even if we don't like it.
        Don't take out your frustration on the players.
        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
        Benjamin Franklin
        The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
        Gary Player

Comment

Truth
          Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

DR72 I totally agree with your assessment of the Devils. I tried to say it by pointing out that they had the personnel to play that style.
            As for playing for 60 minutes, it has nothing to do with aggression. It is playing your system for 60 minutes. Now you and I would love to see them be more aggressive, but if they are continuing to keep the puck to the outside and giving up their bodies to block shots, that shows me that they are playing their game. Even if we don't like it.
            Don't take out your frustration on the players.
            In other words, don't hate the players, hate the game (or the system).

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
              In other words, don't hate the players, hate the game (or the system).
              My first game at MSG, Gump Worsley was the Ranger goalie. Hockey is the greatest game.
              The system we play does not bring out the best in the players on the team. We don't have the personnel to play that style.
              And yes, don't hate the players.
              Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
              Benjamin Franklin
              The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
              Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                Does any team play hard for 60 minutes? The problem is that we can't turn it on at will like QU does.
                I believe you just answered your own question.

Comment

While this thread, as is usual with pre-game threads for games involving RPI, is pretty much entirely focused on the Engineers and their recent problems, there will be another team on the ice Friday night. That, of course, will be Harvard.

Harvard had reason to think that this might be finally the year that they could win the Beanpot tournament. Then they lost in the first round.

Since that time, their play suggests that they may be suffering from a case of Oh-(insert expletive of your choice)-we-lost-the-Beanpot-AGAIN depression.

They barely squeaked past last-place Brown. They lost to Yale. Then they fell behind 3-0 in the first period and were decisively beaten, 5-1, by Northeastern in the Beanpot consolation game.

If a game against Harvard's most bitter rival wasn't enough to inspire them to a winning effort, and a game against another Beanpot rival wasn't enough, either, I'm not sure that they're going to gain a great deal of inspiration from the fact that they are now going to face RPI (and, for that matter, Union).

Of course, if the Engineers and/or Dutchmen go out expecting the Crimson to play like a demoralized bunch of stiffs, they'll probably get their heads handed to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                    While this thread, as is usual with pre-game threads for games involving RPI, is pretty much entirely focused on the Engineers and their recent problems, there will be another team on the ice Friday night. That, of course, will be Harvard.

Harvard had reason to think that this might be finally the year that they could win the Beanpot tournament. Then they lost in the first round.

Since that time, their play suggests that they may be suffering from a case of Oh-(insert expletive of your choice)-we-lost-the-Beanpot-AGAIN depression.

They barely squeaked past last-place Brown. They lost to Yale. Then they fell behind 3-0 in the first period and were decisively beaten, 5-1, by Northeastern in the Beanpot consolation game.

If a game against Harvard's most bitter rival wasn't enough to inspire them to a winning effort, and a game against another Beanpot rival wasn't enough, either, I'm not sure that they're going to gain a great deal of inspiration from the fact that they are now going to face RPI (and, for that matter, Union).

Of course, if the Engineers and/or Dutchmen go out expecting the Crimson to play like a demoralized bunch of stiffs, they'll probably get their heads handed to them.
                    All good points, but RPI is 0-fer in 125 minutes against the Crimson so far this season. I don't expect to get shut out again, but I don't expect any 5-1 victories.
                    RPI Pep Band
                    GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                    2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                    2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post

At this point, I just hope we can score a goal tonight.

Comment

Working...
                      X