This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NHL 2015-16: John Scott for MVP!

I wouldn't call that a celebration, but he did hold it.

Vasilevskiy was the star of the series.
    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
      Through 2 periods, Pittsburgh=Rust Belt. Two goals so far...
      Rust's corrosive effect continued in 3rd; Bryan could have easily have bagged two more. Instead he settles for the original pair of tallies and the Game's #1 Star.

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
      Sid with a bold strategy celebrating With PoW trophy.
      NBCSN Studio guys recount that this is Sid's 3rd encounter with the PoW Trophy. The Boxscore:

2008: Doesn't touch trophy; loses Cup Final
      2009: Touches trophy; wins Cup Final
      2016: Touches trophy; Cup Final TBA

So the argument is that, in Sid's world, touching PoW Trophy is actually in accord with superstition -- not bold defiance of superstition.

Comment

NBCSN Studio guys recount that this is Sid's 3rd encounter with the PoW Trophy. The Boxscore:

2008: Doesn't touch trophy; loses Cup Final
        2009: Touches trophy; wins Cup Final
        2016: Touches trophy; Cup Final TBA

So the argument is that, in Sid's world, touching PoW Trophy is actually in accord with superstition -- not bold defiance of superstition.
        H0 = Touching the Campbell Bowl or Prince of Wales Trophy has no effect on winning the Stanley Cup.

For Sid alone:
        n = 2
        χ2 = 2; d.f.=1
        p = 0.1573
        Do not reject the null hypothesis.

I found a list of whether or not each Captain touched the Campbell or POW and their Cup result from 2001 to 2011 and...
        n = 20
        χ2 = 0.2020; d.f.=1
        p = 0.6531
        Do not reject the null hypothesis.

Even if you leave out 2001 and 2002 where all four teams touched the conference trophies, we can't reject the null hypothesis. If we split it between conferences over that time frame (where each conference conveniently won 5 times), we still can't reject the null hypothesis.

Oh, and while we're here, there is a highly statistically significant dependence between winning the PT and the Cup (p < 0.0001).
        Last edited by lugnut92; 05-27-2016, 07:12 AM. Reason: Added PT data
        RPI Pep Band
        GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
        🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
        2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
        2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

I was told there would be no math.....

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
            H0 = Touching the Campbell Bowl or Prince of Wales Trophy has no effect on winning the Stanley Cup...Do not reject the null hypothesis.
            Not quite sure how to take this one. If meant in a playful, myth buster way, good post.

But if meant as a serious rebuttal? Let me gently suggest that if you want to kill a mosquito, it's not necessary to use a cannon.

Comment

I'll take Thornton's first over Crosby's second any day. Go Sharks.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                I'll take Thornton's first over Crosby's second any day. Go Sharks.
                I'd be happy with Thornton getting a Cup, but I'd be almost as happy with Phil Kessel getting to give a 35 pound sterling silver middle finger to Toronto.

He could even eat a hot dog out of it.

If he won the Conn Smythe to go with it...that would be the mic drop to end all mic drops.
                Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

I've never liked the Penguins (less so after 2009), but... I can really get behind the Phil Kessel "Salute to Toronto" campaign.
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Not quite sure how to take this one. If meant in a playful, myth buster way, good post.

But if meant as a serious rebuttal? Let me gently suggest that if you want to kill a mosquito, it's not necessary to use a cannon.
                    Yes, it was meant as a joke (at least for the conference trophies). It takes three seconds to do a quick chi-squared test, so I figured I would run the numbers pretty quick just to see what they said.

As for the Presidents' Trophy, I was more trying to make a point. Doing four times better than would be expected by random chance is hardly a jinx.
                    RPI Pep Band
                    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

Comment

Naturally, I'm all on board for Joe Pavelski to lift the cup. Even if it comes at the expense of Justin Schultz.
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                        Naturally, I'm all on board for Joe Pavelski to lift the cup. Even if it comes at the expense of Justin Schultz.
                        That would make for a fun Geoffrion Hockey Classic, wouldn't it?
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                          That would make for a fun Geoffrion Hockey Classic, wouldn't it?
                          That it would.
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Dustin Brown reportedly to stripped of the captaincy. Makes one of the worst contracts in the league even worse.
                            RPI Pep Band
                            🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                              Naturally, I'm all on board for Paul Martin to lift the cup. Even if it comes at the expense of Phil Kessel.
                              fyp

Comment

Did you guys know about the 24/7 type of show on Showtime? It's called All Access. I'm watching the second episode now. Need to track the first one down.

Comment

Working...
                                X