Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye, Lord Jeff

Re: Goodbye, Lord Jeff

How about the Blankets? That's how they defeated their Native American (Indian) enemies ;-)
    Formerly known as NUSuntan

Quote Originally Posted by Birdwatcher View Post
    Austin College in Sherman, Texas and University of Missouri–Kansas City are also the Kangaroos.
    Well, so much for that marketing firm's research capabilities when they stated this fact at the nickname unveiling...
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey

I like A's, Fighting Poets, Purple Aces and Purple Rays.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Quote Originally Posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    I like A's, Fighting Poets, Purple Aces and Purple Rays.
    Purple is reserved for Williams.

Fighting Poets has a Monty Pythonesque ring to it.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    4 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16,??? 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post

I know what you're saying but aren't Amherst's colors purple and white? If they want to put purple in their name, they should.

Colorado Cadets Fan

Quote Originally Posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    I know what you're saying but aren't Amherst's colors purple and white? If they want to put purple in their name, they should.
    They could always do what Dartmouth did when they ditched "Indians" years ago and become the "Big Green." The Amherst "Big Purple."
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Amherst Americans...settled

Quote Originally Posted by bakdraft21 View Post
    Amherst Americans...settled
    Politically incorrect. Does not reflect the diversity of the Amherst campus.

Quote Originally Posted by NUProf View Post
    They could always do what Dartmouth did when they ditched "Indians" years ago and become the "Big Green." The Amherst "Big Purple."
    +1. Wasn't a semifinalist though. We could have combined to submit that one...
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Quote Originally Posted by NUProf View Post
    Would an eggplant be the mascot then? That wouldny cause any problems.

Do You Believe in Miracles? YES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by haulin oats View Post
    Would an eggplant be the mascot then? That wouldny cause any problems.
    No more ridiculous than the Hamsters. Is there a campus organization of carnivores that would be offended by that nickname?
    Steve
    Penn State Class of '95
    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Proud New Englander living in Ohio.

To be fair, Connecticut College is the Camels. Williams is the Ephs but their mascot is an androgynous purple cow. Stanford's name is the "Cardinal" and their mascot is an anthropomorphic tree... Babson is a Beaver, UMass Boston is a Lighthouse. The point is there are plenty of non-intimidating, and in some cases just weird, mascots out there. Honestly the Moose or Mooses wouldn't be that bad at all. There's an AHL team called the Moose and a QMJHL team called the Mooseheads. Moose would be my choice out of the available options. At least there's kind of a story there as opposed to the other ones which are just random names people came up with. Even then, people would eventually get used to Hamsters or whatever. People make too big a deal about mascot changes and overthink it. North Dakota whined for 3+ years about having to change theirs and then picked the completely boring and unoriginal name Fighting Hawks. Moose, Hamsters, Poets, etc. may seem weird now, but originality is better than nothing.
    Frozen Four: 1998

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017

R.I.P. CCHA 1971-2013

Member of the REAL Zoo Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye22 View Post
    To be fair, Connecticut College is the Camels. Williams is the Ephs but their mascot is an androgynous purple cow. Stanford's name is the "Cardinal" and their mascot is an anthropomorphic tree... Babson is a Beaver, UMass Boston is a Lighthouse. The point is there are plenty of non-intimidating, and in some cases just weird, mascots out there. Honestly the Moose or Mooses wouldn't be that bad at all. There's an AHL team called the Moose and a QMJHL team called the Mooseheads. Moose would be my choice out of the available options. At least there's kind of a story there as opposed to the other ones which are just random names people came up with. Even then, people would eventually get used to Hamsters or whatever. People make too big a deal about mascot changes and overthink it. North Dakota whined for 3+ years about having to change theirs and then picked the completely boring and unoriginal name Fighting Hawks. Moose, Hamsters, Poets, etc. may seem weird now, but originality is better than nothing.
    Or people need to stop getting their panties in a bunch and quit making teams change their name.......

Quote Originally Posted by spwood View Post
    No more ridiculous than the Hamsters. Is there a campus organization of carnivores that would be offended by that nickname?
    Believe it or not in modern culture the eggplant emoji is used to symbolically represent the male organ, so I think there might be some groups on campus offended or embarrassed by using an eggplant as a mascot.
    Scott Henkle
    SUNY Plattsburgh Class of 2012

Proud alumn of WQKE

GO CARDS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_TG View Post
    Believe it or not in modern culture the eggplant emoji is used to symbolically represent the male organ, so I think there might be some groups on campus offended or embarrassed by using an eggplant as a mascot.
    I am getting old because I'm about to drop a "what the hell is wrong with these kids?" comment? How the hell does an eggplant represent a male organ?
    Steve
    Penn State Class of '95
    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Quote Originally Posted by spwood View Post
    I am getting old because I'm about to drop a "what the hell is wrong with these kids?" comment? How the hell does an eggplant represent a male organ?
    1) Since they don't have emojis that symbolize those parts of the body more straightforwardly, the kids improvised.

2) The way the eggplant emoji is drawn, it does look phallic scaled down like that.
    Scott Henkle
    SUNY Plattsburgh Class of 2012

Proud alumn of WQKE

GO CARDS!!

It's A Great Day For Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post

Or imagery of Robin Williams standing on a desk with a hockey stick, exhorting his players...
    St. Norbert College Green Knights
    NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16
    NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 2017
    NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014
    ---
    SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_TG View Post
    1) Since they don't have emojis that symbolize those parts of the body more straightforwardly, the kids improvised.

2) The way the eggplant emoji is drawn, it does look phallic scaled down like that.
    Thanks for the visual. Guess I see it now...

Colorado Cadets Fan

Dartmouth's mascot is a green letter D. I was a student there when it was changed from Indians. Lots of noise back then, now it is what it is.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Southern New Hampshire Penmen. Which I kind of like because of what it represents.

Ditto with UMass-Boston Beacons because of the Paul Revere tie-in.

If a nickname has a great historical and/or cultural significance to the school, it never bothers me what it is. I think it's kind of neat. It's when people try to just pick a nickname out of the sky and fail miserably is when it deserves scorn.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Thread Information