Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 102

Thread: Goodbye, Lord Jeff

  1. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Oswego, New York
    Posts
    1,214

    Re: Goodbye, Lord Jeff

    I would like to see them called the Zebra's. Not nearly enough sports teams out there called that.

  2. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    out of NYC and up to Orange County
    Posts
    4,898

    Re: Goodbye, Lord Jeff

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_TG View Post
    No worse than the Roos of Canton
    I would say its worse,or at least a bigger rat looking thing......How about blowdryers...

  3. #43
    Colorado Cadets Fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, CO
    Posts
    9,320

    Re: Goodbye, Lord Jeff

    Quote Originally Posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
    Alert to Oswego fans. This comes from the REAL WTOP
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

  4. #44
    Do You Believe in Miracles? YES!!!
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    West Chazy, NY
    Posts
    3,976

    Re: Goodbye, Lord Jeff

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_TG View Post
    No worse than the Roos of Canton
    Yeah, sorry, the Fighting Hamsters is worse than the Canton Roos! Actually, now that I look at the list, the rest of the choices aren't very good either. I thought this school housed the intellectual elite...
    Steve
    Penn State Class of '95
    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

    If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

  5. #45

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    29,233
    Quote Originally Posted by NUProf View Post
    Alert to Oswego fans. This comes from the REAL WTOP
    The New York State version has better sports reporting.

  6. #46
    Colorado Cadets Fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, CO
    Posts
    9,320

    Re: Goodbye, Lord Jeff

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    The New York State version has better sports reporting.
    But they stole the name from a real broadcast organization. Campus closed circuit operations shouldn't do that.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

  7. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    4,237

    Re: Goodbye, Lord Jeff

    Quote Originally Posted by spwood View Post
    Yeah, sorry, the Fighting Hamsters is worse than the Canton Roos! Actually, now that I look at the list, the rest of the choices aren't very good either. I thought this school housed the intellectual elite...
    Yeah, there are some pretty poor choices.

    Canton is rooting for the Hamsters, so they will no longer have the most ridiculous nickname.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

  8. #48
    It's A Great Day For Hockey
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Titletown, USA
    Posts
    4,100

    Re: Goodbye, Lord Jeff

    Well, at least Hamsters would be original. Don't need any more Huskies or Tigers or whatever. Maybe they can all get a sport nickname, too: Skating Hamsters, Dribbling Hamsters, Spiking Hamsters... Just go "all in" on the ridiculous!

  9. #49

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    29,233

    Re: Goodbye, Lord Jeff

    Fighting Snowflakes doesn't work.

  10. #50
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Posts
    2,470

    Re: Goodbye, Lord Jeff

    Might as well be the Poodles


    "FEAR THE BIRD!"

  11. #51
    Colorado Cadets Fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, CO
    Posts
    9,320

    Re: Goodbye, Lord Jeff

    Quote Originally Posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
    Well, at least Hamsters would be original. Don't need any more Huskies or Tigers or whatever. Maybe they can all get a sport nickname, too: Skating Hamsters, Dribbling Hamsters, Spiking Hamsters... Just go "all in" on the ridiculous!
    A lot of high schools like to use alliteration in their mascots. So they should choose something that starts with A - Amherst Alligators, for example. Or Avocados now that would be unique. Hamsters would be great for Hamilton, though.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

  12. #52
    It's A Great Day For Hockey
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Titletown, USA
    Posts
    4,100

    Re: Goodbye, Lord Jeff

    Though I shouldn't be throwing stones... my high school - Milwaukee Pius XI - is the "Popes" ... but the girls teams are routinely referred to as the "Lady Popes." Not kidding.
    St. Norbert College Green Knights
    NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16
    NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 2017
    NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014
    ---
    SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

  13. #53
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    234

    Re: Goodbye, Lord Jeff

    Biggest mistake ever is to put it to a student vote. They will end up with a joke mascot, like Hamster, that while it might have some subtle references (yes, you can spell hamster with the letters in Amherst but most folks won't get that), ends up making the school look stupid. I'm not an Amherst fan but it would be a major error for a school that's ranked among the best small colleges in the country to come across as goofy. In marketing terms, a foolish name will degrade the Amherst brand which they have worked hard for almost 200 years to build. Big committees and student votes never bring good results in these kinds of matters.
    Last edited by puxrex; 01-13-2017 at 09:39 AM.

  14. #54
    Proud New Englander living in Ohio.
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    355

    Re: Goodbye, Lord Jeff

    Lord Jeffs was unofficial in the first place. I think they should just not pick a new one and allow a mascot and identity to develop organically over time. That's the way most college mascots were chosen in the first place. The list of names Amherst are considering are all kind of stupid.
    Frozen Four: 1998

    NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017

    R.I.P. CCHA 1971-2013

  15. #55
    It's A Great Day For Hockey
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Titletown, USA
    Posts
    4,100

    Re: Goodbye, Lord Jeff

    Quote Originally Posted by puxrex View Post
    Biggest mistake ever is to put it to a student vote. They will end up with a joke mascot, like Hamster, that while it might have some subtle references (yes, you can spell hamster with the letters in Amherst but most folks won't get that), ends up making the school look stupid. I'm not an Amherst fan but it would be a major error for a school that's ranked among the best small colleges in the country to come across as goofy. In marketing terms, a foolish name will degrade the Amherst brand which they have worked hard for almost 200 years to build. Big committees and student votes never bring good results in these kinds of matters.
    That's why at UW-Green Bay they stepped in to stop Fighting Tomatoes...
    https://blog.uwgb.edu/admissions/how...e-the-phoenix/
    http://news.uwgb.edu/featured/alumni...-phoenix-name/
    St. Norbert College Green Knights
    NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16
    NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 2017
    NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014
    ---
    SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

  16. #56
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    4,237

    Re: Goodbye, Lord Jeff

    Quote Originally Posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
    Well, at least Hamsters would be original. Don't need any more Huskies or Tigers or whatever.
    That was the logic behind Canton picking Kangaroos. Nobody else had it.

    Doesn't mean it was good logic, though...
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

  17. #57
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Posts
    2,470

    Re: Goodbye, Lord Jeff

    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    That was the logic behind Canton picking Kangaroos. Nobody else had it.

    Doesn't mean it was good logic, though...
    Austin College in Sherman, Texas and University of Missouri–Kansas City are also the Kangaroos.


    "FEAR THE BIRD!"

  18. #58
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    28

    Re: Goodbye, Lord Jeff

    But Canton Kangaroos is unique in that it so closely mimics the baby boomer memory of Captain Kangaroo.

  19. #59

    Re: Goodbye, Lord Jeff

    For almost 300 years the Pioneer Valley was known for its Tobacco . How about the Amherst Tobacco? Think of the possible $$$$ opportunity instead of two hockey sticks 2 joints with the Fox glowing puck!!!

  20. #60

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    29,233
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieshack23 View Post
    For almost 300 years the Pioneer Valley was known for its Tobacco . How about the Amherst Tobacco? Think of the possible $$$$ opportunity instead of two hockey sticks 2 joints with the Fox glowing puck!!!
    Barns?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •