Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodbye, Lord Jeff

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/27/us...ies-below&_r=0

AMHERST, Mass. — Lord Jeffery Amherst, the colonial military commander who gave this town its name, will no longer represent the prestigious liberal arts college here.

The board of trustees at Amherst College announced on Tuesday that it had decided “not to employ this reference in its official communications, its messaging and its symbolism (including in the name of the Inn, the only place on the campus where the Lord Jeffery name officially appears).”
    St. Norbert College Green Knights
    NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
    NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
    NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
    ---
    SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Re: Goodbye, Lord Jeff

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post

AMHERST, Mass. — Lord Jeffery Amherst, the colonial military commander who gave this town its name, will no longer represent the prestigious liberal arts college here.

The board of trustees at Amherst College announced on Tuesday that it had decided “not to employ this reference in its official communications, its messaging and its symbolism (including in the name of the Inn, the only place on the campus where the Lord Jeffery name officially appears).”
    more P.C. bull**it I am sure...these students now know that if you have a sit-in on campus the jellyfish administration will give you whatever you want, what a great example to to give these kids, I guess when they get into the real world and they dont get what they want they will just stage a sit in in the CEO's office
    Last edited by bakdraft21; 01-26-2016, 03:15 PM.

Comment

In Amherst's case the name was unofficial anyway so its not that big of a deal. People who want to use the name will use it and people who don't won't. If its true that a significant majority of the student body was against the name, then I don't mind the decision.
      Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
      University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
        In Amherst's case the name was unofficial anyway so its not that big of a deal. People who want to use the name will use it and people who don't won't. If its true that a significant majority of the student body was against the name, then I don't mind the decision.
        It may have been unofficial but the nickname Lord Jeffs was used an awful lot for their athletic teams in game stories etc.
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
          It may have been unofficial but the nickname Lord Jeffs was used an awful lot for their athletic teams in game stories etc.
          I just meant as compared to a situation like North Dakota. Its not like Amherst will be facing NCAA sanctions if some students continue to use the name.

Comment

The students are purple with rage and having a cow over the nickname/mascot.

Eph them!
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I can remember going to a football game at Dartmouth College in 1969, shortly after the school had made the decision to officially change the nickname of its teams from Indians to Big Green.

I saw a student who evidently disagreed with the decision going through the stands with an Indian brave's headband and feather on his head, and a drawing of a hand, middle finger extended, painted in green on his back.

Political correctness really isn't all that new.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
                I just meant as compared to a situation like North Dakota. Its not like Amherst will be facing NCAA sanctions if some students continue to use the name.
                It's the NESCAC & Western Massachusetts. They're weird out there.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

So what are we supposed to call them now?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                    The Titmouse. (I don't think there is a plural)
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                      According to the article the Moose is being thrown out there as a replacement idea. Go Moose! Wait, or is it Mooses? Meese?

Comment

I'm sure the womens' teams are overjoyed by that.
                        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post

This political correctness garbage has gotten way, way out of control. Next they will probably want to change the name of the town to something more politically correct, perhaps Recycleville would be a good choice !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wallhd View Post
                            This political correctness garbage has gotten way, way out of control. Next they will probably want to change the name of the town to something more politically correct, perhaps Recycleville would be a good choice !!!!
                            Barnstown??
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by wallhd View Post
                              If we continue down the round we are going on, the name might be something Sovietesque,maybe Lord Jeffskow

Comment

Working...
                              X