Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Goodbye, Lord Jeff

Originally posted by spwood View Post
    I am getting old because I'm about to drop a "what the hell is wrong with these kids?" comment? How the hell does an eggplant represent a male organ?
    1) Since they don't have emojis that symbolize those parts of the body more straightforwardly, the kids improvised.

2) The way the eggplant emoji is drawn, it does look phallic scaled down like that.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Purple is reserved for Williams.

Fighting Poets has a Monty Pythonesque ring to it.
      Or imagery of Robin Williams standing on a desk with a hockey stick, exhorting his players...
      St. Norbert College Green Knights
      NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
      NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
      NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
      ---
      SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
        1) Since they don't have emojis that symbolize those parts of the body more straightforwardly, the kids improvised.

2) The way the eggplant emoji is drawn, it does look phallic scaled down like that.
        Thanks for the visual. Guess I see it now...
        Steve
        Penn State Class of '95
        Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
          To be fair, Connecticut College is the Camels. Williams is the Ephs but their mascot is an androgynous purple cow. Stanford's name is the "Cardinal" and their mascot is an anthropomorphic tree... Babson is a Beaver, UMass Boston is a Lighthouse. The point is there are plenty of non-intimidating, and in some cases just weird, mascots out there. Honestly the Moose or Mooses wouldn't be that bad at all. There's an AHL team called the Moose and a QMJHL team called the Mooseheads. Moose would be my choice out of the available options. At least there's kind of a story there as opposed to the other ones which are just random names people came up with. Even then, people would eventually get used to Hamsters or whatever. People make too big a deal about mascot changes and overthink it. North Dakota whined for 3+ years about having to change theirs and then picked the completely boring and unoriginal name Fighting Hawks. Moose, Hamsters, Poets, etc. may seem weird now, but originality is better than nothing.
          Dartmouth's mascot is a green letter D. I was a student there when it was changed from Indians. Lots of noise back then, now it is what it is.
          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

To be fair, Connecticut College is the Camels. Williams is the Ephs but their mascot is an androgynous purple cow. Stanford's name is the "Cardinal" and their mascot is an anthropomorphic tree... Babson is a Beaver, UMass Boston is a Lighthouse. The point is there are plenty of non-intimidating, and in some cases just weird, mascots out there. Honestly the Moose or Mooses wouldn't be that bad at all. There's an AHL team called the Moose and a QMJHL team called the Mooseheads. Moose would be my choice out of the available options. At least there's kind of a story there as opposed to the other ones which are just random names people came up with. Even then, people would eventually get used to Hamsters or whatever. People make too big a deal about mascot changes and overthink it. North Dakota whined for 3+ years about having to change theirs and then picked the completely boring and unoriginal name Fighting Hawks. Moose, Hamsters, Poets, etc. may seem weird now, but originality is better than nothing.
            Southern New Hampshire Penmen. Which I kind of like because of what it represents.

Ditto with UMass-Boston Beacons because of the Paul Revere tie-in.

If a nickname has a great historical and/or cultural significance to the school, it never bothers me what it is. I think it's kind of neat. It's when people try to just pick a nickname out of the sky and fail miserably is when it deserves scorn.
            Russell Jaslow
            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post

On this note, Richard Gere called and said "Hamsters" probably isn't a very good idea either.....
              Steve
              Penn State Class of '95
              Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                Or people need to stop getting their panties in a bunch and quit making teams change their name.......
                The students didn't want the name. You can whine all you want about political correctness, and I agree sometimes it goes too far, but Amherst was a pretty scummy human being and I have no problem with the school deciding they don't want to be represented by him. For the record, Amherst was criticized by a lot of people for what he did at the time it happened, so its not like this is just some 21st century PC crap. People have thought he's a d-bag since his lifetime.

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                Southern New Hampshire Penmen. Which I kind of like because of what it represents.

Ditto with UMass-Boston Beacons because of the Paul Revere tie-in.

If a nickname has a great historical and/or cultural significance to the school, it never bothers me what it is. I think it's kind of neat. It's when people try to just pick a nickname out of the sky and fail miserably is when it deserves scorn.
                I agree. I really don't like the finalists for the most part. Like I said before, I wish they would just not pick a new one in a vote like this and just sort of let a new mascot come over time. But like I said, in a conference with Purple Cows (Ephs), Polar Bears, Camels, Elephants (Jumbos), Chickens (Bantams), and Mules... I don't think the Moose or anything else on that list is really so bad.
                Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
                University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

I agree. I really don't like the finalists for the most part. Like I said before, I wish they would just not pick a new one in a vote like this and just sort of let a new mascot come over time. But like I said, in a conference with Purple Cows (Ephs), Polar Bears, Camels, Elephants (Jumbos), Chickens (Bantams), and Mules... I don't think the Moose or anything else on that list is really so bad.
                  For some reason, perhaps because of their clownish appearance, or maybe the association with a lovable cartoon character (Bullwinkle), the moose is somewhat underrated in terms of its danger to humans. Moose attacks are not jokes and a good way to put yourself in danger is to get between a mother moose and her calf. The moose's size and it antlers make it a creature that most people would not want to go head to head with.

Comment

The students didn't want the name. You can whine all you want about political correctness, and I agree sometimes it goes too far, but Amherst was a pretty scummy human being and I have no problem with the school deciding they don't want to be represented by him. For the record, Amherst was criticized by a lot of people for what he did at the time it happened, so its not like this is just some 21st century PC crap. People have thought he's a d-bag since his lifetime.
                    You're right. It only took nearly 200 years for enough panties to get in a bunch maybe they will get the towns named changed too like they're trying. I mean apparently its taken 200 years for people to realize what he did and whine enough about it. It's not like any American Generals / Presidents / Historical Figures ever did anything bad. We might as well rewrite half of the US so we don't offend anyone. I mean Sherman has monuments all over the place. My Elementary school was named after him. Yet he had no issue killing civilians. Lincoln even approved starving civilians during the civil war. Yet he even gets a federal holiday. While handing out small pox infested blankets to the Indians won't win you the Lady Bing award, he surely wasn't the first, only, and or last to do something like this and have something named after him. Might as well call them the Carebears or Flying Unicorns.....but some where some how someone will be offended....
                    Remy Babineaux
                    remyb616@gmail.com
                    D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Politically incorrect. Does not reflect the diversity of the Amherst campus.
                      ..what about the Rochester Americans??....PC is killin us

Comment

Purple People Eaters,like the Vikings..

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                          Purple People Eaters,like the Vikings..
                          Vegetarians would object. Or Hannibal Lecter would file for royalties. ..
                          Remy Babineaux
                          remyb616@gmail.com
                          D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                            Vegetarians would object. Or Hannibal Lecter would file for royalties. ..
                            What about the estate of Jeffrey Dahlmer? He was real.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

What about the estate of Jeffrey Dahlmer? He was real.
                              But he wasn't purple and didn't fly

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                                But he wasn't purple and didn't fly
                                Great. Now D.B. Cooper gets involved.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X