Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

North Star Cup 1/30-31 - SCSU, UM, BSU, MSU-M: Who is drinking where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: North Star Cup 1/30-31 - SCSU, UM, BSU, MSU-M: Who is drinking where?

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I'm not butthurt about it, I just think it's silly to root for an opposing team's loss more than your own team's win.
    There are several other factors involved, including the fact that a huge majority of people root for the underdog in a game that doesn't involve their team. Also, the other in-state teams consider the Gophers a "rival", no matter whether the Gophers view them as one or not.

I am not even sure what your anecdote is describing. The MSU fans were rooting harder on Friday for the Gophers loss than they were during their game on Friday?
    Originally posted by SJHovey
    Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
    Originally posted by Brenthoven
    We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Who cares about in-state rivals? We're the Kings of the Big 10 now.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        It's more about not being able to scalp your ticket for the second game than about actual re-entry into the arena. If you're just heading out for a drink, then it's all easy enough to get around, but re-selling your ticket becomes a challenge most people don't want to deal with. That's all. Not everybody wants to buy tickets to two games, and that's what the NSCC forces. This isn't the Frozen Four, and it's hubris to setup a ticketing policy as though it is a greater tournament.
        Come on, man. Be realistic. They are going to sell even less tickets if they allowed people to sell their tickets after the first game. Considering that games at the NHC cost about $30 or $35, I think that $40 for the session ticket is a good price. You basically are paying 5-10 bucks for the choice of staying and watching a second game. It isn't "buying tickets to two games". Unless you think that they would actually sell tickets to any of the games for only 20 bucks. Not happening.

After the first game, there were Xcel employees shouting that if you want to leave and come back, you have to go to a certain gate and get your hand stamped. They basically let it be known that you can leave and come back. You just can't re-sell your tickets after they are scanned.
        Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
        We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
          Thats a pretty broad statement to make and likely just perception more than it is based in reality. I always laugh when people say that mankato fans cheer more for the Gophers to lose than for the Mavs to win because it's just not true. Most of the time when gopher scores are announced in arena, it's met more with a "meh" than anything else.

If anything, people do it to get under gopher fans' skin than anything else. After taking years of abuse from gopher fans while we were building our programs, now we have the.legitimate ability to dish it back. I, personally, think gopher fans are over-sensitive to it and don't realize just how much the rest of us got ragged on in the past. In essence, what I'm saying is turn about is fairplay.
          This is a good post. I like this post.

Comment

Attendance was listed as 12,000+ on Saturday and 10,000+ on Sunday. Those are "session" numbers though because they do not sell individual game tickets.

Comment

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                There are several other factors involved, including the fact that a huge majority of people root for the underdog in a game that doesn't involve their team. Also, the other in-state teams consider the Gophers a "rival", no matter whether the Gophers view them as one or not.

I am not even sure what your anecdote is describing. The MSU fans were rooting harder on Friday for the Gophers loss than they were during their game on Friday?
                By that reasoning, more people should be rooting for the Gophers nowadays.

Can't have it both ways, guys.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowerConference View Post
                  Attendance was listed as 12,000+ on Saturday and 10,000+ on Sunday. Those are "session" numbers though because they do not sell individual game tickets.
                  Beanpot do the same thing with tickets?

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    By that reasoning, more people should be rooting for the Gophers nowadays.

Can't have it both ways, guys.
                    There is a difference between being an underdog and just plain sucking.
                    Underdogs have a chance to win.
                    "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                    -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                    Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                    Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                    Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                    Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                      There is a difference between being an underdog and just plain sucking.
                      Underdogs have a chance to win.
                      So, SCSU just sucked all those years in the NCAA tournament. Good to have verification.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

So, SCSU just sucked all those years in the NCAA tournament. Good to have verification.
                        Nice to know Gopher fans can always break out the standbys.
                        Besides..we had Dahl coaching...yeah...we sucked
                        "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                        -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                        Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

Nice to know Gopher fans can always break out the standbys.
                          Besides..we had Dahl coaching...yeah...we sucked
                          Just wanted to hear you say it.

MN has a tough road, for sure. I will not give up on my team. Ever. And as long as there are haters, I'll be standing here, taking it.

Comment

Just wanted to hear you say it.

MN has a tough road, for sure. I will not give up on my team. Ever. And as long as there are haters, I'll be standing here, taking it.
                            Like we all will...at least those of us here.
                            -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                            Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

Like we all will...at least those of us here.
                              *tipscap*

Comment

From a hockey perspective, pretty fun tourney to watch. I was impressed by the tenacity of both Mankato and Bemidji. Pulling for Mankato to take down the WCHA yet again. They deserve to be in the NCAAs. Much improved vs. the first time SCSU faced them.

The Gophers on the other hand... well, I'd say the goaltending is definitely improved. Still have tons of skill but it just doesn't seem to be enough vs. better competition. Won't count them out of the NCAAs at this point. Still think they have enough to beat every team in the B1G. Probably will take winning the conference tourney and then they get essentially a home game at the X as a reward. Not as much of an advantage this year as it was in past years.

SCSU went in as the best team in Minnesota this year and came out the same way. Scoring all the way up and down the lineup. Great play by the freshmen. Lindgren cleaned up the rebounds better on Sunday and it showed. Now back to the grind of the NCHC.

On a related aside, attendance was disappointing for sure. Not sure what the answer is on that.

Comment

Working...
                                X