Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine Black Bears - Return to the Glory Years or On to Oblivion?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maine Black Bears - Return to the Glory Years or On to Oblivion?

Originally posted by AMC View Post
    Can anyone name a division one university other than Maine that can't figure out how to post video highlights of its home games in any sport?

There are D3 schools run better than UMaine.
    What highlites?
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
      If this coaching staff were able to recruit 2-3 highly skilled players it would certainly be encouraging. However, that wouldn't be enough to put Maine in the top 3 of Hockey East. It takes depth. Gendron may want to reconsider his plan of competing for a national championship in two years.
      Red said what any coach would say to a fan base that expects to play in the NCAAs. The real question at this point is, what is the AD going to do, extend or fire? Absolutely smoked by BU this weekend can't be good for any extension hopes

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
        Red said what any coach would say to a fan base that expects to play in the NCAAs. The real question at this point is, what is the AD going to do, extend or fire? Absolutely smoked by BU this weekend can't be good for any extension hopes
        You have to say this weekend was a killer and the remaining 10 games in the regular season, plus what happens in the Best of 2 out of 3 series in the 1st round could be what the AD factors in on a Extension. Sadly the damage has been done from a stand point that if anything the Program has gone backwards in the close to 3 years behind the bench.

Comment

Red said what any coach would say to a fan base that expects to play in the NCAAs.........
          Every fan base expects their team to compete in the NCAA post season, not just Maine. In my opinion it's not smart to put a time stamp on it and then proceed to tell every civic group you're invited to. I doubt Leaman and Bazin made such predictive statements.

Comment

If programs like Lowell, Providence, Michigan Tech, etc were able to find coaches that have turned things around, I have to believe Maine can find someone a lot better than what Red Gendron has done so far. Might not ever get back to Shawn Walsh level, but you'd be better off with Tim Whitehead at this point. Does anyone know what Maine pays compared to the programs I mentioned?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              ........ I have to believe Maine can find someone a lot better than what Red Gendron has done so far. Might not ever get back to Shawn Walsh level, but you'd be better off with Tim Whitehead at this point.
              I agree.

Originally posted by j.d. View Post
              ....Does anyone know what Maine pays compared to the programs I mentioned?
              Initially, I believe he was getting paid $205K. Not sure how that compares to Lowell or Providence. He also just promoted his assistant to associate head coach.

Comment

If programs like Lowell, Providence, Michigan Tech, etc were able to find coaches that have turned things around, I have to believe Maine can find someone a lot better than what Red Gendron has done so far. Might not ever get back to Shawn Walsh level, but you'd be better off with Tim Whitehead at this point. Does anyone know what Maine pays compared to the programs I mentioned?
                In 2013, Norm Bazin earned $241,108 at Lowell. Michigan Tech reports Mel Pearson's base salary at $275,000 as of March 2015. Providence is a private institution and doesn't have to report jack.

Comment

Every fan base expects their team to compete in the NCAA post season, not just Maine. In my opinion it's not smart to put a time stamp on it and then proceed to tell every civic group you're invited to. I doubt Leaman and Bazin made such predictive statements.
                  You think Lowell and pc expected that when Blaise was there or pooley was there. Neither teams fan expected that and you know it

Comment

Every fan base expects their team to compete in the NCAA post season, not just Maine.
                    Actually only a handful of fan bases expect to compete in the NCAA tournament. Fans at UMA, UConn, Northeastern and Merrimack don't. Providence fans don't expect to be in the tournament EVERY season. Same with New Hampshire and Vermont. Most of the teams in the ECAC and WCHA are in the same boat. If they happen to make the NCAA's once in a while, that's great, but they don't expect it every season. That hope is reserved for most B1G Mistake and LTHC programs and BU, BC. Fans in Orono don't feel much worse than fans in Madison or East Lansing. At least Maine has two recent championships. How do you think they feel in the Springs where they haven't won a title since the Eisenhower Administration?

Comment

I gotta believe Maine could attract a young, hungry coach even if the salary isn't quite up-to-par with other schools. I remember being pretty surprised at the time they chose someone as "old-school" as Red Gendron.

Comment

His salary is $205,000 and with that he donates back to the Standbrook Fund 5% of that($10,455.00)

Comment

You think Lowell and pc expected that when Blaise was there or pooley was there. Neither teams fan expected that and you know it
                          You may be right. The key word here is EXPECT. Fans go to games, buy season tickets and support their team. Every year these fans hope and have a strong desire for their teams to make the tournament. These fans are no different from the fans that have their teams in the tournament 3 out of 6 years. This was the point I was making.

Comment

Really. Hard to believe that we could field any team worse than the Dipsy-doodle Twins, Wes Clark and Bellamy squads, and yet, here we are. Somehow TIMMAY managed to keep his untalented teams at least sorta competitive with the HE big guns, so why can't Red?
                            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                              Really. Hard to believe that we could field any team worse than the Dipsy-doodle Twins, Wes Clark and Bellamy squads, and yet, here we are. Somehow TIMMAY managed to keep his untalented teams at least sorta competitive with the HE big guns, so why can't Red?
                              Not sure but it appears he isn't the guy. Sometimes long time asst. should stay asst. That's the only thing I can think of as there is no doubt the guy knows hockey.

Comment

Hockey knowledge is the easy part of coaching
                                Teaching players to believe . Teaching players to enjoy the hard work. Teaching players to have confidence ( which comes with successes). Teaching every player what their role was and most important to accept that role but always giving the player hope to improve. Shawn had that gift. No good player can accept not being in the line up. Shawn always gave the the players hope that their chance was just around the corner if they could make an improvement or he cut the tie. This is why Tim struggled. X and Os Tim was as good as anyone much better then most, but didn't have the player respect because of poor communication.
                                You can't coach with fear.
                                We need a fresh start. How many of the current players enjoying going to practice each day? Is anyone having fun?
                                Winning is a habit and so is losing.

Comment

Working...
                                X