Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine Black Bears - Return to the Glory Years or On to Oblivion?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    Sure, it could be. I just think there is much more at play than awkwardness.
    Miami sure wont be a cakewalk next year, Maine is 0 and something against Miami it seems. So Red continues reaching into NCHC and would probably like to play Denver. It just comes down to that there are only so many OOC games and each side wants NCAA ranking advantage and make as much revenue out of OCC games as you can.

We would have a good game turnout if Jimmy came to the Alfond. Fans would like to see him again.

Comment

• Re: Maine Black Bears - Return to the Glory Years or On to Oblivion?

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
      Miami sure wont be a cakewalk next year, Maine is 0 and something against Miami it seems. So Red continues reaching into NCHC and would probably like to play Denver. It just comes down to that there are only so many OOC games and each side wants NCAA ranking advantage and make as much revenue out of OCC games as you can.

We would have a good game turnout if Jimmy came to the Alfond. Fans would like to see him again.
      The fans would also love to see Paul Kariya , but that ain't happening either. Alumni shunting the fans, not that any or many of current fans even know who they were.
      Last edited by all bear; 04-15-2016, 03:13 PM.
      sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post

Maine is 5-1 vs Miami. 3-0 at Alfond and 2-1 on neutral ice. This will be the first-ever trip to Oxford. Miami will ostensibly be making a return trip in 2017-18, which will be their first appearance at Alfond since January 2, 1993, when we played in the Dexter Classic.

Maine may want to play Denver, but the feeling is not mutual. On a sentimental level, I think Jimmy would much prefer to see a Maine team that is more on an equal footing with Denver, rather than a lion eating flesh off the carcass of a dying gazelle. From a practical level, it makes no sense for Denver to schedule Maine because Maine is in that Limbo territory - not nearly good enough to be worth anything in the RPI but too much of a risk to schedule Maine and lose (or tie). They have Boston College, Boston University and Providence all on their OOC schedule next season. No reason at all to play Maine.

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
          The fans would also love to see Paul Kariya , but that ain't happening either. Alumni shunting the fans, not that any or many of current fans even know who they were.
          Paul is a special case. He is in seclusion and by all reports hates hockey for what it did to him. I know that Tim reached out to him repeatedly and was refused. The Hobey Baker committee would like him to come back to Alfond because he has never received the ring they award the winner and they will only make the presentation at a game on campus. It isn't just Maine. He wouldn't even come out of seclusion for the retirement ceremony of Teemu Selanne - reported to be his closest friend in the hockey world. If he wouldn't even turn up for Teemu, he isn't going to be coming back to Maine anytime soon.

Comment

Paul is a special case. He is in seclusion and by all reports hates hockey for what it did to him. I know that Tim reached out to him repeatedly and was refused. The Hobey Baker committee would like him to come back to Alfond because he has never received the ring they award the winner and they will only make the presentation at a game on campus. It isn't just Maine. He wouldn't even come out of seclusion for the retirement ceremony of Teemu Selanne - reported to be his closest friend in the hockey world. If he wouldn't even turn up for Teemu, he isn't going to be coming back to Maine anytime soon.
            I don't blame Kariya either. It's a disgrace what the NHL let happen to Kariya, Lindros, and Crosby(undoubtedly many others). None of them came close to achieving their potential. I think in time he will come back to Maine but it might not happen for 10 years or more.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Maine is 5-1 vs Miami. 3-0 at Alfond and 2-1 on neutral ice. This will be the first-ever trip to Oxford. Miami will ostensibly be making a return trip in 2017-18, which will be their first appearance at Alfond since January 2, 1993, when we played in the Dexter Classic.
              Thanks for the stat. Better than I thought vs miami. I didn't know where to find it.

Comment

Quinnipiac coming to Orono for 2 games next year. Not sure of dates.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                  I don't blame Kariya either. It's a disgrace what the NHL let happen to Kariya, Lindros, and Crosby(undoubtedly many others). None of them came close to achieving their potential. I think in time he will come back to Maine but it might not happen for 10 years or more.
                  Crosby has averaged 109 points a year in his career. Kariya was cut short due to a cheap shot from Suter, but Crosby and Lindros don't belong in the conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by maineiac View Post
                    This must be because Red is afraid of high-quality opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAAfan500 View Post
                      Crosby has averaged 109 points a year in his career. Kariya was cut short due to a cheap shot from Suter, but Crosby and Lindros don't belong in the conversation.
                      Wrong. He only has averaged 85. He's had a decent career but nowhere near where he would have been without the concussions. Lindros had 115 points as a 23 year old and never came close to that again. Where the great part of his career happened in the pre-internet days people completely forget just how good he was.

Comment

Originally posted by maineiac View Post
                        Looking at the schedules of both teams the only available dates are October 14-15 (Homecoming), December 16-17 and January 6-7.

Homecoming vs the national runners-up would be a good draw. January 6-7 would be tough since it is during winter break.
                        Last edited by ticapnews; 04-24-2016, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                          The schedule is starting to take shape. It looks like the Hockey East schedule will mirror last year's and the series at Miami and Colgate are set. We can also approximate the UNH non-conference games.

October 1 - OPEN Canadian team
                          October 7-8 OPEN RPI
                          October 14-15 OPEN (Homecoming) Quinnipiac
                          October 21-22 @Miami
                          October 28-29 @Colgate
                          November 4-5 BOSTON COLLEGE
                          November 11 LOWELL
                          November 13 @LOWELL
                          November 18-19 @VERMONT
                          November 25-26 OPEN Brown or other for one game
                          December 2 @NEW HAMPSHIRE
                          December 3 NEW HAMPSHIRE
                          December 9-10 OPEN
                          December 16-17 OPEN
                          December 27-31 New Hampshire (Manchester)/New Hampshire (Portland)
                          January 6-7 OPEN Brown or other for one game
                          January 13-14 @CONNECTICUT
                          January 20 @BOSTON U
                          January 22 BOSTON U
                          January 27-28 UMASS
                          February 3-4 @PROVIDENCE
                          February 10-11 NOTRE DAME
                          February 17-18 @MERRIMACK
                          February 24-25 NORTHEASTERN

There is a home game with Brown scheduled at some point, but it can't be in October because the Ivy League doesn't start play until October 21. It can be assumed that there are two remaining home series, plus one remaining road game against someone. That would give Maine 16 home/16 road/2 neutral site. There is also the annual exhibition game vs New Brunswick. More than likely the teams brought in will be ECAC and/or AHC squads. There is an outside chance of Michigan State but I wouldn't hold my breath.
                          Are my edits above right? If they are there is not much we can complain about this year schedule wise. Its bizarre Timmy had such a tough time with the schedule. I wonder if he didn't put the effort in or other coaches didn't like him.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                            Are my edits above right? If they are there is not much we can complain about this year schedule wise. Its bizarre Timmy had such a tough time with the schedule. I wonder if he didn't put the effort in or other coaches didn't like him.
                            I hope that is right. The 34th game is likely to be 11/1 at an ECAC school on the way back from Colgate (much like the team stopped at Quinnipiac on the way back from Union). This year it seems like Union might be the destination. That's just a guess, but based on the recent history between the two schools seems the best fit. If it is Union, or another ECAC team, that would mean eight of the 12 non-conference games would be against ECAC foes.

I don't know if other coaches didn't like Tim or if he just waited too long so the good opponents were taken. I will say that Red has excellent relations with most of the coaches in D-I. It's still April and we have a very solid idea of what the schedule will look like next season. A few years ago we were waiting until June to learn of the schedule.

Comment

I hope that is right. The 34th game is likely to be 11/1 at an ECAC school on the way back from Colgate (much like the team stopped at Quinnipiac on the way back from Union). This year it seems like Union might be the destination. That's just a guess, but based on the recent history between the two schools seems the best fit. If it is Union, or another ECAC team, that would mean eight of the 12 non-conference games would be against ECAC foes.

I don't know if other coaches didn't like Tim or if he just waited too long so the good opponents were taken. I will say that Red has excellent relations with most of the coaches in D-I. It's still April and we have a very solid idea of what the schedule will look like next season. A few years ago we were waiting until June to learn of the schedule.
                              I wonder if maybe they would play the week before? It could save them driving back to Orono after the Miami series. In any case, the schedule is miles ahead of where it was a few years ago.

Comment

As a season ticket holder I received a survey from the athletic department. First question wanted to know how long have I been a season ticket holder. Other questions were about how to improve the fan experience. No questions about cost of tickets.

Comment

Working...
                                X