Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine Black Bears - Return to the Glory Years or On to Oblivion?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears - Return to the Glory Years or On to Oblivion?

Maine had too many guys for one net. Hope the ones they decided to keep can play, though its hard to be sold on any if em. Also wish Romeo the best he had some flashes.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
    43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
    104-47-14 (.669) in that time
    3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
      Sean Romeo transfers to Ohio State.
      http://www.uscho.com/2016/05/10/alas...016-17-season/
      Can't say I blame him, 5 goalies didn,t make sense.
      Wish Romeo well and hope things work out for him.

Comment

The new captain of the Black Bears: Cam Brown
        "A"s will be worn by Eric Schurhamer and Blaine Byron

Comment

It's rather sad to see the last of the Swavely brothers leave but even more so for some of us who will miss their family as well. I wonder who will sing the National Anthem on senior night next spring. Best of luck to all the Swavely's.

Comment

Just read on Twitter one of the games against BC will be in Portland, has anyone else heard this? If I was a season ticket holder I would be pretty upset. It's not like with the new hockey east schedule there are many good home league games to begin with.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

It keeps getting better.

Comment

It keeps getting better.

Hopefully it is one of the games at UConn. Have you heard the BC at Portland rumor?
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                  Hopefully it is one of the games at UConn. Have you heard the BC at Portland rumor?
                  Dunbar posted it over at MBR. It was supposedly on Twitter but I can't find it.

Given that (under the schedule they released) Boston University is playing a pair at UConn that would indicate Maine is doing a split series with the Huskies as they did a few years ago. The best scenario is the game scheduled for Hartford gets played at Fenway instead and Maine hosts one game vs UC later in January.

Comment

Tim Throckmorton of WABI is reporting it will be UConn. I have also heard BC vs PC and UNH-NU. That leaves BU and UMA in the other game. All that is left is dates and times.

Comment

For the sake of repeating one of my big concerns with this program, sorry, but I don't put it past this bunch in the athletic department to look to holding as many games as they can get away with in Portland as a short term fix to things.
                      Until they saturate that market.
                      Well those of you in the local area know what I mean, can't disregard the local support. Big mistake.
                      Not holding home games in orono means some local economic loss, game nights are good economy for the local restaurants etc. Pats pizza, you know how that goes.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                        For the sake of repeating one of my big concerns with this program, sorry, but I don't put it past this bunch in the athletic department to look to holding as many games as they can get away with in Portland as a short term fix to things.
                        Until they saturate that market.
                        Well those of you in the local area know what I mean, can't disregard the local support. Big mistake.
                        Not holding home games in orono means some local economic loss, game nights are good economy for the local restaurants etc. Pats pizza, you know how that goes.
                        Moving one game is not a disaster. Portland is going to be desperate thanks to the Pirates leaving town. We used to play twice a season in Portland. My freshman year we played three: Kent State, Notre Dame and the US Olympic Team. We played Team Canada in Lewiston. Orono will be just fine economically.

If somehow the Fenway game is taken from Orono, that's on Joe Bertagna, not the people at UM.

I am trying to confirm that it's 12/31 and 1/7. Assuming it is, then the UM-UC and UNH-NU games will be on January 7 because the neutral site game in Manchester on 12/30 has been confirmed and we are now waiting to hear if the game in Portland is 12/29 or 12/31. That means BU-UMA and BC-PC will be 12/31.

Comment

Moving one game is not a disaster. Portland is going to be desperate thanks to the Pirates leaving town. We used to play twice a season in Portland. My freshman year we played three: Kent State, Notre Dame and the US Olympic Team. We played Team Canada in Lewiston. Orono will be just fine economically.

If somehow the Fenway game is taken from Orono, that's on Joe Bertagna, not the people at UM.

I am trying to confirm that it's 12/31 and 1/7. Assuming it is, then the UM-UC and UNH-NU games will be on January 7 because the neutral site game in Manchester on 12/30 has been confirmed and we are now waiting to hear if the game in Portland is 12/29 or 12/31. That means BU-UMA and BC-PC will be 12/31.
                          Yeah, Orono is rolling in dough, I'm sure they love losing the revenue. Huh, I'll bet the Old Port loves losing the pirates also
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            Yeah, Orono is rolling in dough, I'm sure they love losing the revenue. Huh, I'll bet the Old Port loves losing the pirates also
                            Moving one game isn't going to make or break the economy.
                            Last edited by ticapnews; 05-17-2016, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Copy/Paste from my post at MBR

OK, here is what I have learned.

Maine-UConn and UNH-NU will play on 14 January, The other Frozen Fenway games are 7 January. Times are still to be determined. Hockey East is trying to get other teams to move games so the FF games will be alone on the schedule. That might be possible on 1/7 but there is no way on 1/14. Notre Dame is at Merrimack and there is no way they are rescheduling. Providence is playing a series with Vermont that weekend and the BC-BU series is that weekend. The only common dates those teams have off are 12/16-17.

Further, Maine and New Hampshire are only playing one non-conference game this season - 12/30 in Manchester. This would explain why the Boston College game was moved to Portland. It also means there is an extra game on the schedule. However, if Hockey East prevents teams from playing 1/7 that leaves Maine with limited options.
                              Open weekends are: 10/14-15 (Homecoming), 11/25-26 (Thanksgiving) and 12/16-17. Maine has an open date 1/6.
                              Games left to schedule: 2 Quinnipiac, Brown, 2 NC games. The annual exhibition with UNB is also unscheduled. The Q series has to be either Homecoming or December. Brown can be 1/6.

I have an ice cream headache and I haven't had any ice cream....

Comment

Copy/Paste from my post at MBR

OK, here is what I have learned.

Maine-UConn and UNH-NU will play on 14 January, The other Frozen Fenway games are 7 January. Times are still to be determined. Hockey East is trying to get other teams to move games so the FF games will be alone on the schedule. That might be possible on 1/7 but there is no way on 1/14. Notre Dame is at Merrimack and there is no way they are rescheduling. Providence is playing a series with Vermont that weekend and the BC-BU series is that weekend. The only common dates those teams have off are 12/16-17.

Further, Maine and New Hampshire are only playing one non-conference game this season - 12/30 in Manchester. This would explain why the Boston College game was moved to Portland. It also means there is an extra game on the schedule. However, if Hockey East prevents teams from playing 1/7 that leaves Maine with limited options.
                                Open weekends are: 10/14-15 (Homecoming), 11/25-26 (Thanksgiving) and 12/16-17. Maine has an open date 1/6.
                                Games left to schedule: 2 Quinnipiac, Brown, 2 NC games. The annual exhibition with UNB is also unscheduled. The Q series has to be either Homecoming or December. Brown can be 1/6.

I have an ice cream headache and I haven't had any ice cream....
                                I'm running into a similar issue projecting the NU schedule, with the added bonus that NU already has a game scheduled on that 12/16 weekend. I don't see any way to complete the schedule without playing games the first weekend of Frozen Fenway, unless they play a midweek game on 1/3 or 1/4 then one game on Friday 1/6.

Comment

Working...
                                X