Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine Black Bears - Return to the Glory Years or On to Oblivion?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears - Return to the Glory Years or On to Oblivion?

Please beat Northeastern this weekend. Go Maine!
    Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
    Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
    Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
      Same here. Out of posish Bish
      Bish liked to party a wee bit also
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Yes, Ray Jean was on the roster as a goalie, but he was the No. 3 goalie when No. 3 meant No. 3, not a contestant for the 1 or 2 spot. He may have been overqualified as a practice goalie, and he wound up transferring to Bentley, where he was the starting goalie for a couple of years. He became the goalie coach after Grant Standbrook left and Dave Alexander partnered with former assistant coach Dan Kerluke on goalie coaching software.

Comment

Not gonna look it up, but IIRC he posted nice numbers at Bentley.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            Not gonna look it up, but IIRC he posted nice numbers at Bentley.
            Played at Bentley for two years. 05-06 he played in 29 games, GAA 2.86, 12-13-4, save % of .916. 06-07 played in 25 games, GAA 4.00, 9-15-1, save % .880

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
              Red would have to completely suck as a judge of talent if this kid had any chance to show us much at this point in the season. Sure he could win so could any of the goalies. I'd have to question the coach if Romeo starts either game this weekend.
              Well we shall see by Friday...and to question RG, I think he has been since 3/4's way through year 1 of his contract...I just hope it's not a Coach/Player issue.

Comment

Originally posted by dwollstadt View Post
                Yes, Ray Jean was on the roster as a goalie, but he was the No. 3 goalie when No. 3 meant No. 3, not a contestant for the 1 or 2 spot. He may have been overqualified as a practice goalie, and he wound up transferring to Bentley, where he was the starting goalie for a couple of years. He became the goalie coach after Grant Standbrook left and Dave Alexander partnered with former assistant coach Dan Kerluke on goalie coaching software.
                As I recall Alexander was a bit of an absentee coach, he didn't live near by and coached remotely and travelled in.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                  As I recall Alexander was a bit of an absentee coach, he didn't live near by and coached remotely and travelled in.
                  There was a guy in between Alexander and Jean but I forget his name, he wasn't around very long. Jean was actually a lot better than some of the starters Maine has had the last 10 years.
                  Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                  Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                    There was a guy in between Alexander and Jean but I forget his name, he wasn't around very long. Jean was actually a lot better than some of the starters Maine has had the last 10 years.
                    I don't think its necessarily relevant how good a player you were when evaluating whether you will be a good coach. Scotty Bowman never made the NHL.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                      I don't think its necessarily relevant how good a player you were when evaluating whether you will be a good coach. Scotty Bowman never made the NHL.
                      And probably you could have been a "good coach" too if you had the talent he did.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                        John Racine was the volunteer assistant for about a month. As I recall, he had a regular job which he was able to combine with his goalie coaching activities in the Lewiston area. Shortly after taking the volunteer position at UMaine, his regular job responsibilities expanded to the point where he had to give up the Maine post, and Ray Jean took over.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                          Played at Bentley for two years. 05-06 he played in 29 games, GAA 2.86, 12-13-4, save % of .916. 06-07 played in 25 games, GAA 4.00, 9-15-1, save % .880
                          I must have just recalled '05/'06.

Thanks for the legwork, in any case. Nearly forgot that he was ever on a Maine roster, to tell the truth.

Comment

What this hockey team needs to do is find a kid like this, great story on what's by all accounts a wonderful kid and probably the best student-athlete at Maine right now

http://bangordailynews.com/2016/03/0...iew_id=2148151

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                            43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                            104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                            3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                              Bish liked to party a wee bit also
                              Yes he did. Who would have thought he'd end up being the best NHL goalie Maine would produce? Ironically he was Grant's last goalie at Maine.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                                Don't forget that Shawn Walsh was a third-string goalie before he switched to coaching.

Comment

Working...
                                X