Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine Black Bears - Return to the Glory Years or On to Oblivion?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears - Return to the Glory Years or On to Oblivion?

Well it appears to be oblivion...

Comment

Can't compete in your own building with a team you have more league wins than.....I didn't expect much against ND or PC...but to get blown off the ice by Merrimack....

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
      43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
      104-47-14 (.669) in that time
      3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

What I said earlier aside, this is pathetic. I don't care how much rebuilding you're doing, how lacking in talent this team may be, they ought to be able to compete with teams like Merrimack. And yet, somehow they can't, and I have to figure a lot of that is coaching.
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• I spent my time in alfond watching for tweets on bball tourney. That's how bad that game was. How you come out that flat on the day your coach signs an extension is beyond me. Certainly won't give you a warm fuzzy feeling about the extension.
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Must have been all the celebrating today.

Comment

Merrimack hadn't won a HE game since November 13th against UMass. Maine allows them to score 4 unanswered goals. Even without talent this should not happen when playing a comparable team. Very sad.

Comment

This team is presently hapless losing to Mack. The improbable sensibility of the coaching extension is just further testament to how bad things truly are. There was little choice in extending Red. But there has to be enormous pressure on next season. Almost hard to fathom the guy actually had a winning record his first season, even with that late collapse. I just don't see where any optimism lies.

Comment

I know anything can happen, and they just about pulled it out tonight, but with as bad as things were when they were down 5-1 it pretty well felt like living through the apocalypse.

Comment

I certainly don't know the ins and outs of Red's extension as far as the money goes, but there isn't enough alcohol in the world to lead me to believe that it was a good "hockey decision". This program would take years and years to recover any semblance of respectability, even if Scotty Bowman took over tomorrow

Say Maine signed nothing but blue-chippers for the next 2 years, they'd still be a bad team. There is just too much dead weight on board right now... The only hope for The Bears is a Timmy-style purge of most of the roster, and several miraculous recruiting years.

(Not gonna happen.)
                    Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-19-2016, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      I spent my time in alfond watching for tweets on bball tourney. That's how bad that game was. How you come out that flat on the day your coach signs an extension is beyond me. Certainly won't give you a warm fuzzy feeling about the extension.
                      No, it doesn't. This reminds me of when Woodward was extended even though there was no apparent reason for the extension since his teams were losing and he was a sh*tty coach. Woodward did bring in a stellar recruiting class after that but they all left the team a couple of years later.......and then he was finally fired.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                        Can't compete in your own building with a team you have more league wins than.....I didn't expect much against ND or PC...but to get blown off the ice by Merrimack....
                        Dude, you still got 4 goals by us. That's usually enough to win in HEA..

Comment

Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
                          Dude, you still got 4 goals by us. That's usually enough to win in HEA..
                          It's a moral victory. Thanks for putting a positive "spin" on the game.

Comment

Just a comment from an interested "outsider" observer. As we know, "expansion" seems to be the big buzzword in almost every facet of society today. Invariably people come to the realization that it just isn't feasible, which leads to one of two things - a lot of mediocrity or, ultimately, contraction. This "craze" that suddenly every school wants to start a college hockey program will eventually run its course. As usual, we will see that, regardless of how much the sport trumpets that they have "opened up new markets" and have become a "nationwide" sport, there is only so much talent to go around. The problem for schools like Maine is that they no longer have a captive audience. When there weren't a lot of choices, it was easier to get great talent. But (and this is not meant in a disparaging way, because I happen to love Maine and the lifestyle - we go there all the time) the reality is, with so many choices today (at least for now), why would an aspiring athlete want to go there? I mean, if you had a choice to go to Arizona to school, or California, or Florida, or Notre Dame, or Pennsylvania, or a number of other places, why would you go to Maine? I mention those places specifically, because ten years ago none of those places had Division 1 hockey programs (or hockey programs at all). The competition, from the school's perspective, has been dialed up five notches and the cold weather schools are no longer monopolizing all the good talent. But...I DO think that eventually many of these schools will give it up and they will see that without the rabid fan interest (sure, it's a novelty right now) the program will be unable to be sustained. If the sport is not really in the "culture" of the region, it doesn't matter how fancy an arena you build. The bottom line is money, and if people don't show up, the program will wither and die. So you just have to hang in there for awhile. These things go in cycles. Only time will tell how it will ultimately play out.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                              He needs to bring in several talented players within two years time in order to compete for a national title in 2018. I wish him well.
                              He would need to have the players on hand already to be able to compete for the 2018 title.
                              bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                              SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                              All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                              A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                                Just a comment from an interested "outsider" observer. As we know, "expansion" seems to be the big buzzword in almost every facet of society today. Invariably people come to the realization that it just isn't feasible, which leads to one of two things - a lot of mediocrity or, ultimately, contraction. This "craze" that suddenly every school wants to start a college hockey program will eventually run its course. As usual, we will see that, regardless of how much the sport trumpets that they have "opened up new markets" and have become a "nationwide" sport, there is only so much talent to go around. The problem for schools like Maine is that they no longer have a captive audience. When there weren't a lot of choices, it was easier to get great talent. But (and this is not meant in a disparaging way, because I happen to love Maine and the lifestyle - we go there all the time) the reality is, with so many choices today (at least for now), why would an aspiring athlete want to go there? I mean, if you had a choice to go to Arizona to school, or California, or Florida, or Notre Dame, or Pennsylvania, or a number of other places, why would you go to Maine? I mention those places specifically, because ten years ago none of those places had Division 1 hockey programs (or hockey programs at all). The competition, from the school's perspective, has been dialed up five notches and the cold weather schools are no longer monopolizing all the good talent. But...I DO think that eventually many of these schools will give it up and they will see that without the rabid fan interest (sure, it's a novelty right now) the program will be unable to be sustained. If the sport is not really in the "culture" of the region, it doesn't matter how fancy an arena you build. The bottom line is money, and if people don't show up, the program will wither and die. So you just have to hang in there for awhile. These things go in cycles. Only time will tell how it will ultimately play out.
                                "Every school wants to start a hockey program.."?? Penn State and Arizona are "every school"?? College hockey isn't expanding. Unless I've missed something about the California and Florida schools adding programs that you mention.

Times have changed. With increased access to communication and information, everybody's world has expanded. When I was a kid, everybody was a Red Sox fan. Now, kids are fans of teams from all over. The world has grown. And that's what we're seeing in college hockey.
                                bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                                SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                                All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                                A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Working...
                                X