UMD Bulldogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UMD Bulldogs

if they could figure out how to score they might be an actual tough out. You won't play them again so there's that.
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

I'm sure you've watched this more than once, but...
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHrNQYJ7q6c

Impartial observation (except for deep seated dislike for siouxhawks)
      >Dawg rolling into Poganski the Pest could be called for a penalty
      > Soucy appears to be about even with Pest
      > "Squatch" Soucy hits Pest
      >Ref #4 puts up arm for penalty
      >Ref (is that good old Todd), my guess looks to trailing ref and then clutches hand and changes to penalty shot

At best, UMD gets 2 min penalty in OT. At worst, what happened
      GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnieb View Post
        Ok, before the Bulldog faithful have exploding heads. They are still a very good team that has seen very few breaks this season. My pick for the conference tourney winner
        Originally posted by icehawk View Post
        Spot on Dirty. Same thing different year.
        Originally posted by Dirty View Post
        If there is one good thing that came out of last night's game it is the absolute epic whining from a number of UMD fans. From UMD got screwed to the announcers love UND to the refs hate us to UND always gets the calls to UND fans are spoiled to UND is being goons to UMD never gets calls. I'm pretty sure every possible complaint has been made in the last 12+ hours.
        Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
        I'm sure you've watched this more than once, but...
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHrNQYJ7q6c

Impartial observation (except for deep seated dislike for siouxhawks)
        >Dawg rolling into Poganski the Pest could be called for a penalty
        > "Squatch" Soucy hits Pest
        >Ref #4 puts up arm for penalty
        >Ref (is that good old Todd), my guess looks to trailing ref and then clutches hand and changes to penalty shot

At best, UMD gets 2 min penalty in OT. At worst, what happened
        That game is a microcosm of this disappointing season.
        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
          Just watched the replay and the worst part is the official took forever to make the penalty shot call... its almost like the crowd and the moment talked him into it.

I just watched the end of the Friday game again.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/zHrNQYJ7q6c

UMD almost lost that game before the Poganski penalty shot.

When Anderson's arm went into the air (0:14) the UMD players (save for their goalie) stopped. Janatuinen (who'd been free on the 2-on-1 when Poganski was hauled down) picked up the puck behind the net (0:16) and sent it straight up the slot to Poolman. Poolman got a rocket shot off (0:18) that was glove saved*.

Then the whistle blew because a 'dog controlled the puck.

Immediately after he blew the whistle to stop play Anderson made the call**.

If the UMD goalie had quit on the play, like his teammates, the game would've been over on Poolman's shot/goal.

So, no, the crowd did nothing to Anderson. He made the call when play stopped (not when UMD stopped).

*And clearly the puck was still live when Poolman shot it or else it would've been a "shooting after the whistle" penalty that late after Anderson's arm was up.
          **You'll never find me at a "#4 Todd Anderson Fan Club" meeting, but he got that sequence right.
          Last edited by The Sicatoka; 02-22-2016, 05:14 PM.
          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
            Q: Then why did Poganski fall backwards onto Soucy if they were about even?
            A: Because they weren't even. Soucy's shoulder is in Poganski's hamstring when contact is made. (0:13 mark) Soucy was behind.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...=1#post6279439

I'll ask it here: If what Soucy did is not a penalty shot, what is?
            Last edited by The Sicatoka; 02-22-2016, 05:09 PM.
            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
              A: Because they weren't even. Soucy's shoulder is in Poganski's hamstring when contact is made. (0:13 mark) Soucy was behind.

He fell more to the side than straight backwards.
              And if that is considered "from behind" like the rule requires then a lot more trips would/should be called Penalty Shots.
              "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
              Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
              Grandma ~ Jan 2004
              Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
              Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

Because Poganski turned away from Soucy as contact was made.

To your second question: a play that satisfies all four of the qualifications for a penalty shot. That wasn't the case here and you are one of the few people that seem to think it does. Even Starman changed his mind after watching the replay.
                Originally posted by SJHovey
                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                Originally posted by Brenthoven
                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

The shoulder is in the hamstring.

Dangerous. Took away a scoring chance. And from behind.

And I do believe more penalty shots should be called to protect the offensive player. Don't like it? Don't get beat.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                    Because Poganski turned away from Soucy as contact was made.

To your second question: a play that satisfies all four of the qualifications for a penalty shot. That wasn't the case here and you are one of the few people that seem to think it does. Even Starman changed his mind after watching the replay.
                    Starman's official stance on twitter was that it was a hard call to make and he sees why Anderson made the call he did. At the time of the hit, which is when the ref has to make his determination, Starman and Matt Wellens both thought it was the right call. Schloss thought there was a pretty good chance it was going to be called a penalty shot. I think it's very clear that Pogs had a step on the duluth player and would have had a clear shot had he not been dived into. So the question arises... what's from behind? Obviously that's the debate here. You can make the argument, one that I agree with, that Poganski had a step on the d-man thus he was behind. You can't make the argument that the duluth player had a step on Poganski.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                      FWIW, Starman also said:

Asked my questions, did my research, got penalty shot criteria in NCAA hockey explained point by point yesterday by those in the know..
                      Link: https://***********/DStarmanHockey/s...99650859773952

While call was unpopular among the masses, it did meet the criteria in the NCAA rule book as it was explained to me by those I trust.
                      Link: https://***********/DStarmanHockey/s...00709225275392

Comment

Here was Starman's initial tweet after the game, before he probably heard from Don Adam to tell him to back down
                        https://***********/DStarmanHockey/s...21957609439232
                        "Upon further review of the play that caused the penalty shot, and I'm not a ref; that at most is a minor for tripping. Just my opinion."

http://blog.collegehockeynews.com/20...-three-things/
                        "The play (of course) happened quickly, but with the benefit of slow-motion replay, it appears that at the time of Soucy’s tripping infraction, he was parallel with Poganski — and if that’s the case, the play doesn’t meet one of the four conditions that “must be met in order for the Referee to award a penalty shot,” namely, that the “infraction must have been committed from behind.”

http://ndgoon.blogspot.com/2016/02/u...ighlights.html
                        "This was very big win for UND. I've had a few people ask me about the penalty that led to the penalty shot. I don't know. If I had been officiating this game, I would've probably called a two-minute penalty. We can write it off as, "hey it's Todd Anderson."
                        Apparently, Todd Anderson made the wrong call on the play in question (per the rule book). As my buddy Ken says, the refs don't follow the rule book anymore."

http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=102350
                        "So, the next question is whether Poganski should have been awarded a penalty shot by referee Todd Anderson. In real time, I immediately looked at Anderson, because I thought there was a chance. Poganski was about to beat Carson Soucy wide and take the puck to the net. But I think he has to be more in the clear to get a penalty shot. There’s no question that Soucy tripped Poganski, but without a clear lane to the net, I would have left it at two minutes for tripping (and UND potentially would have won it on the power play, anyway, who knows)"

After watching the reverse angle, it looks like Poganski starts going down before Soucy even makes contact with him. Interestingly enough, everyone who replied thought the call was horse-bleep
                        https://***********/cjzero/status/700899903325736961
                        Originally posted by SJHovey
                        Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                        Originally posted by Brenthoven
                        We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Oh yeah, still my tourney pick

Comment

Did I hear correctly that Starman reversed position on the penalty shot call AGAIN?

Regardless, waiting to see a performance like this for a while. Now they just have to keep it up.

Comment

I don't even know what to believe on the penalty shot...I'm not going to hurt my head thinking about it anymore. We're on to SCSU.

Great win last night, team jumped early and often...then held on for dear life as Kas played one of his best games as a bulldog. He had a lot of rebounds, couldn't' make a catch with his glove to save his life but the defense was there to bail him or the rebound went wide (or outside of the slot). Fun game to watch. Somehow despite those rebounds he played of a hell of game. First game he has stolen for UMD in a while, first one for this year for sure. It's always nice to win a Friday game and feel like you're playing with house money on Friday.

Sucks that we made UND fans happy but it's awesome to now have a three game winning streak in St. Cloud for the first since the 90's. Gotta find out when the last time that happened. 1999 is the last time they swept in SCSU before last season, so maybe that's when they last won three games in a row.
                              Last edited by Biddco; 02-27-2016, 09:35 AM.
                              tUMD Hockey

Comment

Oh yeah, Bulldogs

Comment

Working...
                                X