UMD Bulldogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMD Bulldogs

If memory serves, The Taconite Trophy was for the UMTC/UMD rivalry back in the 60's, 70's, 80's. I didn't think it had anything to do with BSU.
    As to what happened to the Trophy, Herb Brooks might have threw it in the garbage. It was reported in the book One Goal that he "abused" the trophy after a rare loss to the "Branch College".
    The minor earthquakes being felt in the Twin Cities since 11/14/14 could be Herb spinning in his grave for the 6 straight losses to the "Branch College" 😉

Comment

Originally posted by oldchfan View Post
      If memory serves, The Taconite Trophy was for the UMTC/UMD rivalry back in the 60's, 70's, 80's. I didn't think it had anything to do with BSU.
      As to what happened to the Trophy, Herb Brooks might have threw it in the garbage. It was reported in the book One Goal that he "abused" the trophy after a rare loss to the "Branch College".
      The minor earthquakes being felt in the Twin Cities since 11/14/14 could be Herb spinning in his grave for the 6 straight losses to the "Branch College" 😉
      It doesn't have anything to do...I'm saying UMD should do the same thing to the Taconite Trophy that Herb did. Damage the thing and make it go away
      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Just wondering what the Bulldog experts think of this team compared to the national champs of 2011. Same hot start, UMD finished the season on a tear last year and assume this year will be no different.

Comment

Originally posted by Bender14 View Post
          Just wondering what the Bulldog experts think of this team compared to the national champs of 2011. Same hot start, UMD finished the season on a tear last year and assume this year will be no different.
          It feels a little early to say this but they feel better than that team. Veteran leadership on offense and defense, young talent but freshmen in net. Miska has been playing well and has three shut outs this year. Is he last year's Cam Johnson?

I say that because of the sweeps against UND and SCSU. They both appear to be somewhat down this year but the way they won those games was great. Now they split against WMU but the Saturday they played like a must win. I said it was a must win and Ciskie disagreed but this team

Couple questions though: UMD has two weeks off after this week and then on the road at Denver and home and home with BSU. Will there be rust?

And what about the Jan/Feb Slump? That's a common MO for Sandelin coached teams. They seem to get cold in Jan/Feb. Even the 2011 team did in Feb... but rattles four straight in the tournament. The except is the 2004 team which got hot in the second half.

It's already been a great year and I can't for more.
          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Bender14 View Post
            The 2016-17 Bulldogs are physically bigger/stronger than the 2011 Champs, probably the best group coach Sandelin and his staff have ever assembled to try and compete with the size, speed and skill of the top teams like UND, DU, BC and BU have.
            The 2011 team had a very solid goaltending with Kenny Reiter (yes he can!) Hopefully Miska, Shepard and Deery will come up as big as Kenny did in the big games. The 2011 team was better on the powerplay and had 9 PP goals in the NCAA tournament.
            This years team is capable of making a run. I like how there is no quit in this team, they keep on getting after their opponents even when behind. However, the slow starts may cost them at tournament time as it did in the last 2 regional finals. Tougher to beat good teams at tourney time when spotting them a lead.
            I am looking forward to the rest of this season!!
            Last edited by oldchfan; 12-08-2016, 04:49 AM.

Comment

Well that was a fun first half. Team will win more trophies after this. I want them to win the NCHC and a couple games in Chicago
              tUMD Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                Well that was a fun first half. Team will win more trophies after this. I want them to win the NCHC and a couple games in Chicago
                Still fun.

No Penrose but a Frozen Four and an NCHC Championship. Couple more wins would be real nice.
                tUMD Hockey

Comment

I'm a long time USCHO poster and have 2 tickets available to the FF if anyone is interested. They are listed at the Ticket Forum here.
                  'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                    I'm a long time USCHO poster and have 2 tickets available to the FF if anyone is interested. They are listed at the Ticket Forum here.
                    If you haven't already done so, I would recommend you put them on the official NCAA ticket exchange, Primesport.. I was able to sell my extra tickets to Boston and Tampa on the site. https://www.primesport.com/d/ncaa-mens-frozen-four
                    Last edited by oldchfan; 03-28-2017, 02:50 PM.

Comment

For any Duluth fans thinking of heading to Chicago who may be in or near the Twin Cities area, or Fargo/Moorhead, Al Pearson's company that handles all the fan bus tours for UND fans had a bunch of rooms lined up, and buses too. They posted information at SiouxSports, at the following link.

Looks like they are interested in operating this trip for UMD fans, if interested. As someone who has been on a couple of Al's trips, they do a pretty solid job. The last one I was on included transport between the hotel and arena, which is nice.

Here's the SiouxSports link. http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/24682-frozen-four/
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Disappointing final game but boy that season was fun. Best UMD team of the Sandelin era with the second best winning percentage in team history. Couldn't ask for much more from this UMD team.

Personally I attended so many games, visited so 4 new arenas and met many people along the way.
                        tUMD Hockey

Comment

Tough news for UMD.

Miska one and done at UMD, signs with Arizona Coyotes

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                            Really sucks...another season with goaltending question marks. This puts a serious hurt into UMD's plans for another great season next year. UMD will need to pick another goalie and/or hope Deery or Shepard step up. Gonna be interesting to where they get someone.
                            tUMD Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                              Not even close to being ready but can't blame him. Money talks.
                              Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by icehawk View Post
                                Not even close to being ready but can't blame him. Money talks.
                                Felt the same way about Redmond at MTU but hard to blame them when they get a deal, might not be one later if the rest of the college career isn't better.
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X