Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cops 3: Shoot low boys -- they're ridin' Shetland ponies!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cops 3: Shoot low boys -- they're ridin' Shetland ponies!

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    That's probably because nobody is saying that.
    No, that's what everybody says if they're not falling into lockstep with my opinion.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      Has any of this big data collection or security theater made us safer? I don't think so. And you want to expand surveillance? I'll pass unless you can prove it will actually help. And even then, I would be skeptical.
      Just the opposite in fact. All we've done is give intel larger and larger haystacks to sift through with a smaller and smaller likelihood of hits.

Big data is great when you want to find metrics and measure trends of stochastic outcomes. It is worse than useless if you want to predict discrete future events.

Insofar as any technique works at all, FBI serial killer profiling tradecraft does. And that means qualitiative judgments based on a sound theoretical framework and tons and tons of empirical testing. The algorithm approach of the national security infrastructure is a complete waste of time and money, but as soon as you start doing stuff like that you can never stop because you've sold the public on it as if it works, and ending it is thus either making us less 'safe,' or admitting you were bullsh-tting to get them off your back.

It's make believe, but when bad things happen people want their government to do something. So politicians do whatever thing the courtiers of that day tell them will look impressive.
      Last edited by Kepler; 07-15-2016, 02:06 PM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Just the opposite in fact. All we've done is give intel larger and larger haystacks to sift through with a smaller and smaller likelihood of hits.

Big data is great when you want to find metrics and measure trends of stochastic outcomes. It is worse than useless if you want to predict discrete future events.
        Really? Strange that so many big businesses use it for decision making and anti terror analysts don't see it as 'making the job harder':

http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.o...esAttacks.aspx
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          That's why I sadly mentioned that it was Fox. And I know how the modern media works (both sides) and it's sad (I often rip CNN on Tweeter/other social media). However, that doesn't excuse this behavior.

BLM, at first, was to me "Ok, cool, standing for a cause." Now? Due to their methods and general lack of distancing themselves from the radicals associating with the group? Go * yourselves.
          I believe the reporter was from the local Fox affiliate, not FNC.
          Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            The Toilet Seat Administration has admitted it's done nothing towards security. However, Ben Franklin was right: By sacrificing our liberties for temporary security, we deserve neither.
            I just arrived back at UCLA for my MBA classes this weekend and walked past my favorite quote on the wall, "Don't mistake activity for achievement."

Should be on every wall at the TSA.
            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
              I took a look at the acceleration of terror activities by year, and this 'isn't just going away'. Five years to 2004, the US averaged 2.5 terror acts a year. Five years to 2009, the US averaged 4.8 terror acts a year. Five years to 2014, the US averaged 5.5 terror acts a year. And in 2015 until now, the US is averaging 15 terror acts per year.

http://dailysignal.com/2015/09/10/a-...ots-since-911/

Although I would edit the following to include domestic terror...the following from the Heritage Foundation is pretty much accurate:

As depicted by this timeline, the threat of terrorism is not receding. Congress should maintain a proactive approach to combatting terrorism, ensuring that law enforcement and intelligence organizations have access to legitimate investigative and surveillance tools. The need for effective counterterrorism operations, though, does not relieve the government of its obligation to follow the law and respect individual privacy and liberty. In the American system, the government must do both equally well. The U.S. should also support stronger action against Islamist terrorist groups abroad to combat those forces radicalizing individuals to attack the U.S.

Don't really get the 'let's do nothing' crowd. But I'm a serious progressive and as you do in any change, build in safe guards rather than find excuses.
              Jesus Christ you are dangerous.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                Jesus Christ you are dangerous.
                "I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn't be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you, and in your panic you turned to [[*insert your most hated candidate here*]]. S/He promised you order, S/he promised you peace, and all s/he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent."

Comment

Unsure where to put this, so let's start here.

Father of a 2 year old, charged with illegal possession and drive-by shooting, after a drive-by shooter killed his son and wounded his daughter.
                  http://kstp.com/news/north-minneapol...4201633/?cat=1

I agree with the illegal possession, but if I had a gun, and I just saw my children shot, yeah, I'd be firing that weapon. Not only out of anger, but also panic. I honestly hope he gets acquitted (or charges dropped) on the drive-by charge.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Unsure where to put this, so let's start here.

Father of a 2 year old, charged with illegal possession and drive-by shooting, after a drive-by shooter killed his son and wounded his daughter.
                    http://kstp.com/news/north-minneapol...4201633/?cat=1

I agree with the illegal possession, but if I had a gun, and I just saw my children shot, yeah, I'd be firing that weapon. Not only out of anger, but also panic. I honestly hope he gets acquitted (or charges dropped) on the drive-by charge.
                    I don't think anyone that just experienced that kind of trauma could be considered of sound mental capacity. Seems like a classic case of "temporary insanity ".
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                      I don't think anyone that just experienced that kind of trauma could be considered of sound mental capacity. Seems like a classic case of "temporary insanity ".
                      I don't know the legalese of such a defense, I believe it's really tough to actually prove, BUT, with our system, that "reasonable doubt" is good enough. And if I were on a jury....
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

https://youtu.be/mCjBspxuUmU
                        the state of hockey is good

Comment

Food for thought

Comment

Temporary insanity is really hard to prove (any defense about mental capacity is) and often times it doesnt mitigate the crime it just lessens it.
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I don't know the legalese of such a defense, I believe it's really tough to actually prove, BUT, with our system, that "reasonable doubt" is good enough. And if I were on a jury....
                              I think there is a difference between the burden of proving a defense (insanity) and the burden the prosecution must meet to prove ts case (pick a crime). In other words, to benefit from an insanity defense, you have to do more than establish reasonable doubt that the defendant was sane. If that is what you meant, Brent.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                                I think there is a difference between the burden of proving a defense (insanity) and the burden the prosecution must meet to prove ts case (pick a crime). In other words, to benefit from an insanity defense, you have to do more than establish reasonable doubt that the defendant was sane. If that is what you meant, Brent.
                                It doesnt work that way. (if I am reading what you posted right) Now I am not a lawyer but if I remember the law classes I took in many states it comes down to the question of "did they know what they were doing is wrong". Also, in the majority of states and the Federal System it is on the defendant to prove he/she is insane based on a preponderance of the evidence not the prosecution.

Insanity is a very hard to prove and "temporary insanity" is way worse. (as it should be) In the case being discussed, if I was a juror I am definitely convicting him of something beyond just the illegal firearm. The dude knew what he was doing and he definitely was not "insane". (stuff like this is why terms like that are misunderstood by the public) I am sure there is a lesser manslaughter charge or low end homicide charge they could charge him with and he definitely earned it. I feel for him, and even might think he is in the right, but it is not his job to take justice into his own hands.
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X