This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gun Control 1: Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang

Mass shooting at Ft. Lauderdale airport. At least 5 dead.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
      And Chicago isn't nearly as dangerous as Kansas City. Which isn't even the most deadly city in the state, that's St. Louis - which is the most dangerous city in the country and one of the top 20 most dangerous cities in the world. http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/m...the-world.html

Oh...yeah and MO has one of the most lax set of gun laws in the country. No permits, no registration, no licenses and stand your ground.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Missouri
      You're only assuming they use firearms. Also, you talk about access, but if they are using firearms, how many of those take place in "gun free zones"?

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Mass shooting at Ft. Lauderdale airport. At least 5 dead.
        Another "gun free zone".

Comment

So coming out of Arizona this morning:

A civilian in Arizona who had a gun shot and killed a man trying to kill an officer on the side of the road. Police are crediting the man with saving the officer's life.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            So coming out of Arizona this morning:

A civilian in Arizona who had a gun shot and killed a man trying to kill an officer on the side of the road. Police are crediting the man with saving the officer's life.
            This?
            http://www.fox10phoeni*****/news/ari...28691268-story

Folks in AZ are more "interesting" when it comes to carrying than even folks from TX. I know a guy who carries a 410 Judge around his yard. He loads it "every other" (meaning three rounds of .410 shot and two rounds of .45 ACP). I asked him about it during a visit. He said the .410 is for the snakes* and the .45 is for the coyotes.

*It's literally a shotgun round designed for this revolver: "Taurus Judge®" is so named because of the number of judges who carry it into the courtroom for their protection.
            Last edited by The Sicatoka; 01-13-2017, 07:36 AM.
            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
              *It's literally a shotgun round designed for this revolver: "Taurus Judge®" is so named because of the number of judges who carry it into the courtroom for their protection.
              From the manufacturer:

Capable of chambering both .410 2-1/2" shotshell and .45 Colt Ammunition, this amazing combo gun is ideal for short distances - where most altercations occur, or longer distances with the .45 Colt ammo. We have finely tuned the rifling to spread the shot pattern at close quarters or to guide the .45 cal. bullet to the target.
              I'm speechless how brilliant that is, however, another thing that happens at close quarters is a bunch of people in a scrum and what you've got in your hand is essentially a fragmentation grenade.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Unfortunately a saved life doesn't make up for countless others lost. Accidents? Guns caused over 500 fatalities in 2011 alone.

http://www.citylab.com/crime/2014/09...hrooms/380327/

Homicides? Conceal and carry permit carriers committed 722 homicides over the last several years...including 28 mass shootings and the deaths of 17 law enforcement officers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/11/o...ount.html?_r=0

Financial costs? Estimates are that conceal and carry costs Texas universities alone $15 million (Idaho spent almost $4m on its universities for conceal). Supporters really can't be for smaller government.

http://www.csg.org/pubs/capitolideas/enews/cs20_1.aspx

Should you even be using your gun? Police don't want you to. Police say you should always give any person with a weapon what they want, do it quickly, and contact them as soon as possible.

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/article/31555

So conceal 1) causes many, many more deaths than it saves, 2) financial costs to society for said policy is very high, and 3) the police don't even want guns to be used in the case of a crime. Sounds like the Constitutional objectives of defense against governments no longer has anything to do with guns or gun control.
                Go Gophers!

Comment

Unfortunately a saved life doesn't make up for countless others lost.
                  Agreed. Without guns available to the public that cop wouldn't have even been shot. Surely, the law abiding citizen who shot the officer would never have illegally acquired the gun.

It's a shame that passerby saved a person's life. Unfortunately, it will just be another statistic for the NY Times since it wasn't a self-defense shooting, so up that number to 723.

Comment

Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
                    Agreed. Without guns available to the public that cop wouldn't have even been shot. Surely, the law abiding citizen who shot the officer would never have illegally acquired the gun.

It's a shame that passerby saved a person's life. Unfortunately, it will just be another statistic for the NY Times since it wasn't a self-defense shooting, so up that number to 723.
                    And what about conceal and carry permit holders involved in mass shootings where an average of 8 people per were killed? And the 17 cops killed by conceal permit holders? We all know cops commit crimes on a frequent basis.

A challenge for you. For every named 'life saved' due to guns...I'll produce 4 wrongful deaths committed by guns.
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

Unfortunately a saved life doesn't make up for countless others lost. Accidents? Guns caused over 500 fatalities in 2011 alone.

http://www.citylab.com/crime/2014/09...hrooms/380327/

Homicides? Conceal and carry permit carriers committed 722 homicides over the last several years...including 28 mass shootings and the deaths of 17 law enforcement officers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/11/o...ount.html?_r=0

Financial costs? Estimates are that conceal and carry costs Texas universities alone $15 million (Idaho spent almost $4m on its universities for conceal). Supporters really can't be for smaller government.

http://www.csg.org/pubs/capitolideas/enews/cs20_1.aspx

Should you even be using your gun? Police don't want you to. Police say you should always give any person with a weapon what they want, do it quickly, and contact them as soon as possible.

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/article/31555

So conceal 1) causes many, many more deaths than it saves, 2) financial costs to society for said policy is very high, and 3) the police don't even want guns to be used in the case of a crime. Sounds like the Constitutional objectives of defense against governments no longer has anything to do with guns or gun control.
                      Put these numbers in context. What percentages of gun owners and concealed carry holders do they represent? Your NY Times article about homicide? It was written in 2015 and the study was since 2007. You can throw what you think are big numbers out there all you want, but they are meaningless without context.
                      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                      Originally posted by Quizmire
                      mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                      MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                      I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                        Put these numbers in context. What percentages of gun owners and concealed carry holders do they represent? Your NY Times article about homicide? It was written in 2015 and the study was since 2007. You can throw what you think are big numbers out there all you want, but they are meaningless without context.
                        Not sure why you want me to provide context rather than someone to say why these numbers are bunk.

My context is that the conceal death study is both recent and in depth compared to most studies...and results of hundreds dead from conceal is more than none.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

Recent changes in ND laws --
                          https://www.sayanythingblog.com/entr...es-two-others/

Five items were looked at, three passed.

I guess I'm not in favor of the first one. If you're carrying concealed a ND permit includes the NICS number used when they issued (making sure you're not a felon or otherwise precluded). However, I do know why it passed: In ND a gun under the car seat is concealed. If it's visible through the windows it's not. (ND is legal open carry.) Too many folks were claiming "it slid under the seat" during traffic stops. Yeahright.

For the record, I plan to continue to maintain my ND Class I permit.

The schools one? Talk about complicated. I don't see any rural ND district doing that ... unless the sheriff's spouse is a teacher.

Churches are private property. Let them set their rules.

The last two should've gone down and did.
                          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Funny that the GOP, which seems to be masters of pretty much just gun control legislation, feels a need to pass lax gun control everywhere except government buildings. Don't we need 'safer' government buildings also?
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

Funny that the GOP, which seems to be masters of pretty much just gun control legislation, feels a need to pass lax gun control everywhere except government buildings. Don't we need 'safer' government buildings also?
                              My position is simple:
                              My ND permit is good in ND. Is the capitol building in Bismarck in ND? Yes. ... Oh-ka-a-a-ay ...

The legislator I said that to really didn't like it.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                                My position is simple:
                                My ND permit is good in ND. Is the capitol building in Bismarck in ND? Yes. ... Oh-ka-a-a-ay ...

The legislator I said that to really didn't like it.
                                Your legislator's position is that guns make everyone safer...except the politicians, whose lives it puts in danger.
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X