Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2016: Because "blob" is not an acceptable shape.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fitness (Diet/Exercise) 2016: Because "blob" is not an acceptable shape.

Forget low fat foods, instead you should concentrated on which foods have quality fats. Foods that have been altered from original recipe to have low fat content have added sugars so as to compensate for the drop in taste. If you're getting a sandwich at Subway, get the whole wheat bread as it will digest just a bit slower, and have olive oil added to help satiate you too, and skip most of their dressing options, which are loaded with empty calories.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      Forget low fat foods, instead you should concentrated on which foods have quality fats. Foods that have been altered from original recipe to have low fat content have added sugars so as to compensate for the drop in taste. If you're getting a sandwich at Subway, get the whole wheat bread as it will digest just a bit slower, and have olive oil added to help satiate you too, and skip most of their dressing options, which are loaded with empty calories.
      Generally, I order the whole wheat or the newer whole wheat flatbread.

Also, at Subway, I learned it's better to get the footlong and forget about the chips and drink.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        Yeah I would agree with this. Fat isn't nearly as big an issue as empty calories (usually carbs). Certain fats I try to avoid just because they're not good fat and make me feel groggy (eg: sour cream at Chipotle) but I would agree that you don't need to avoid fats in general. I'd even argue that not having enough fats can be an issue for me.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
          Yeah I would agree with this. Fat isn't nearly as big an issue as empty calories (usually carbs). Certain fats I try to avoid just because they're not good fat and make me feel groggy (eg: sour cream at Chipotle) but I would agree that you don't need to avoid fats in general. I'd even argue that not having enough fats can be an issue for me.
          I need the carbs to do what I do. That being said, with fat, I think I need to add more, because lately, it feels like I'm walking away from meals unsatisfied, like I could have eaten more.
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

• Thanks to a book called Endurance Sports Nutrition, I was given the math to help me figure out what I need. Here are my results:

3,000 calories
            487.5g carbs
            83g fat
            150g protein

Comment

2 days until the Grand Rapids Marathon, my 12th overall marathon and my third time doing this particular one. Hoping for 4:45:00, if all goes well.

I ran the numbers of how much I've currently been eating, and 2,500 calories a day isn't enough, especially if I'm to do stuff like THIS next year:

-Groundhog Marathon Whole Hog Challenge (1/6 marathon + full), Feb. 3 and 4
              -Kal-Haven Trail Run (33.5 miles), April 8
              -River Bank Run 25K, May 13
              -Charlevoix Marathon, June 24
              -Grand Haven Olympic Duathlon (5K run/40K bike/10K run), July 9
              -Tri Del Sol Olympic Duathlon, July 16
              -Michigan Titanium full distance duathlon (112 mile bike/26.2 mile run), August 20
              -Marquette Marathon, Sept. 2
              -Reeds Lake Olympic Duathlon, Sept. 9
              -Hungerford Games 50 Mile (attempt 2), September 23
              -Detroit Marathon, October 15

Comment

Still at 4 minute run/ 2 minute walk. I have only been doing this for a couple of weeks. That last minute is hard, but I get through it. I hope to get up to 5 minute run/2 minute run by Thanksgiving.
                Originally posted by Skeeterman
                Lady Wore Black is a hottie.
                "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

"No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

Comment

• Grand Rapids marathon: 5:05:36, which is not a PR, but at least marathon number 12 is in the books. I will admit that I fell off pace at about mile 15, but once I saw the finish line, I started sprinting with my arms raised.

Other than a Thanksgiving Day Turkey Trot, I think I'm done for the year. This year alone, I've done 5 marathons, 3 Olympic duathlons, a sprint duathlon, 2 half-marathons, the River Bank Run 25K, the 50 attempt that I did not finish, plus a bunch of 5Ks and 10Ks, I think I need to rest for a little bit.

Training for Groundhog and Kal-Haven will start next week.

Comment

My two months of physical therapy for my shoulder ended yesterday, and I had an MRI conducted because I was still feeling pain. The doctor's PA called me today with the MRI results, and I have a slight tear in my labrum (cartilage ring in the shoulder to help deepen the joint) near where my prior labral repair was done in 2013. He didn't think it enough to warrant surgery again, but I may want to consider cortisone shots. I was cleared to start weightlifting again, but to keep it light and be mindful of the pain. Oh, and I'll pretty much just have to ignore the grinding that's now omnipresent when I make certain common motions.

At the very least, even light weights should help get me back into something that resembles a decent shape. Now if only my plantar fasciitis would finally heal, things would be all that much better.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

With my eating lately... it feels like I'm too focused on the scale, instead of eating for energy and running ALL THE MILES. And as a result, this "lose weight at all costs" mentality has left me in a world where everything is upside down, backward, and sad. But I have hope... I figured out how to subtly add calories without feeling like I have to stuff my face at every meal. Examples:

-More fat. Fattier cuts of meat (bone in, skin on chicken), nut butters (if eaten sparingly), nuts themselves, whole milk yogurt (I can't do liquid dairy)
                      -Some liquid calories. I'm not talking pop, juice, liquid dairy, or Vitamin Water, but at least switch out to regular Gatorade/Powerade instead of G2/Powerade Zero.
                      -Augment my oatmeal with nuts and fruit. MrBreakfast.com has plenty of oatmeal recipes. I'm not a huge eggs and bacon person.

I ask you people because I've never had a healthy relationship with food.

Comment

Down to 206.4.

And according to my doctor and counselor... it's time to give up weight loss, focus on maintenance, and having enough energy to run all the miles. According to my counselor, I'm already starting to look a little... sick.

Comment

I had no idea how ****ty I felt until I didn't feel ****ty anymore. This week was the first week since surgery that I really felt like exercise wasn't as hard. It was fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                            Down to 206.4.

And according to my doctor and counselor... it's time to give up weight loss, focus on maintenance, and having enough energy to run all the miles. According to my counselor, I'm already starting to look a little... sick.
                            Careful. From what I read, I think you're constantly at risk of overdoing it. But what do I know.

Moderation is the word of the day for me. I've learned to make frequent but moderate workouts (resulting in maintaining a pretty hunky shape but little improvement beyond), moderate diet (very important - never have meals the size of what restaurants serve, but have more healthy snacks) and drink tons of water (no, more water than that). Was feeling a bit sick now and again. No longer. Never felt better.
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                              Careful. From what I read, I think you're constantly at risk of overdoing it. But what do I know.

Moderation is the word of the day for me. I've learned to make frequent but moderate workouts (resulting in maintaining a pretty hunky shape but little improvement beyond), moderate diet (very important - never have meals the size of what restaurants serve, but have more healthy snacks) and drink tons of water (no, more water than that). Was feeling a bit sick now and again. No longer. Never felt better.
                              1. I pulled myself out of Upside Down, Backward, and Sad land with my meals. Today, for the main event, I ate a Cowboy Ribeye steak and am about to go on a gluten spree.

2. I don't think I'm overdoing it. I only run 3-4 days a week, I ride my bike in season, and I do plenty of yoga and Pilates when I'm not running. And I take at least one scheduled rest day a week, sometimes more.

3. And today, I ran a timed 10K Turkey Trot. Posted a time of 56:34, a new PR. My next race is the Sgt. Preston 6 mile, and I think I can PR again.

Comment

Notes from today's meeting with the dietitian:

1. Weight went up to 213. But he wasn't upset...

2. Agreed with me that protein bars and shakes are convenient, but not the best option. He recommended Greek yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese, nuts, and seeds.

3. He did recommend 100-150g carbs in the 30 minute window post workout, but this one's hard. Most of the food that has 100g carbs usually involves baked goods or softball sized muffins.

4. He told me to stay the course, and that he wants me to lose weight SLOWLY. In other words, it was fine that I didn't weigh 200 when I stepped on the scale today.

5. I think, for myself, I'm going to go back to a Julia Child mentality about food: "The only time to eat diet food is when you're waiting for the steak to cook." Seems like I was doing better when I wasn't so obsessed about calories and macros.

Comment

Working...
                                X