Tom Anastos, it's time to resign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Anastos, it's time to resign

I congratulate you on getting the extension last summer, so forcing AD Hollis to fire you would probably incur a financial hit. However, I also know you care quite a bit about your alma mater. So do the right thing. The donations are drying up, and local businesses are inventing giveaways to put people in the seats

You said five years ago "this will not be an easy task," and many people just nodded with an assurance that you had the energy and the connections to get this done. I for one bought the "thinking outside the box" track record that Mark Hollis built, and trusted that he had made an insightful decision in hiring you. We heard you talk about the exciting style of play (we will attack attack attack), how your relationships to NHL GM's would make MSU a sort of pipeline to the next level.

What has become clear, though, is that there are essential things missing: there seems to be a lack of fundamentals - or an enforcement of fundamentals, a winning strategy in the third period and when the game is on the line ... whether ahead or behind (how many overtime wins have we seen in the last 5 years, or last-minute goals to tie a game?) and, even more concerning, watching a promising freshman fail to follow the trajectory to become a great junior or senior D1 player.

I could pile on with the lost or switched verbals (Justin Bailey, Brendan Perlini and more), the Josh Jacobs departure (there was more than just academics, folks), and little paper-cut irritations like Josh Norris committing to Michigan. These are part of the landscape, but what should be happening is there should be wins on the recruiting front, and somebody please tell me one of them ...

Jake Hildebrand? There's one in a sense, but it was a case of a nice surprise the night he first suited up. He can't be Superman though, of course. He can't always backstop MSU to victory when we see atrocious turnover after turnover in front of him - the result of either failing to secure a puck or making stupid or slowly executed decisions. This season is an eerie reminder of the fall/winter of 2008, when MSU lost an insane string of games. The difference here is we're basically playing with a healthy team now. And they are your players.

Coach Anastos, I credit you for being creative in creating a good atmosphere for students, or bringing Munn Arena up to modern standards, and I also appreciate your emphasis on conditioning and the training table. But the old "X's and O's" of coaching a D1 team ... that important bit does not seem to be there. Suffice it to say the results you want are not getting any nearer.

I am a season-ticket holder, and want to continue to support this hockey team. It's always exciting to walk into the arena in October for the first time get up for that faint promise of a bold new season. However, it has been a LONG time (2008?) since anything other than Torey Krug has really energized this program for more than just a handful of weekends.

If you love this university (I know you do) and care about the survival of this hockey program, PLEASE do the right thing. I read a quote this morning that you made following last night's game: "we have to do some soul-searching". Search your soul - think about the big picture - and walk away with dignity.

Re: Tom Anastos, it's time to resign

This would be much better if you had the guts to sign your name to it

Comment

sign your name to it? what does that have to do with anything? i'm no MSU fan but tom anastos has done nothing to warrant being the coach there any longer

Comment

Originally posted by satking View Post
        Fine. How about "An extremely concerned Spartan Hockey fan who goes by a handle, like everyone else"? Get away with your self-righteous attitude.

Comment

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPmtBroUcAAehy3.jpg

Comment

Comley saga 2.0, except Comley had a ring. Maybe the Spartan boosters who would ask Anastos to forfeit the financial terms of his contract should forfeit their own finances "for the good of the alma mater" and build a contract buyout fund. Sports fans are two faced. They hate the coach who has success and leaves for greener pastures (like...maybe...Nick Saban???) And they hate the coach who struggles and won't leave.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
              Fine. How about "An extremely concerned Spartan Hockey fan who goes by a handle, like everyone else"? Get away with your self-righteous attitude.
              Fine if you post 8 paragraphs of BS that you believe to be true then you take ownership, but if you post something and would not dare say it to the persons face then I am afraid you become a coward and blow hard

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                Comley saga 2.0, except Comley had a ring. Maybe the Spartan boosters who would ask Anastos to forfeit the financial terms of his contract should forfeit their own finances "for the good of the alma mater" and build a contract buyout fund. Sports fans are two faced.
                I feel like there's a missing emoticon here ("facetious"), right? Did we who plunked down a few hundred already, plus a few more fund $$ to hold onto our seats ASK the trustees to rubber-stamp another couple years? I must have been half asleep when they asked me for my vote.

Comment

Fine if you post 8 paragraphs of BS that you believe to be true then you take ownership, but if you post something and would not dare say it to the persons face then I am afraid you become a coward and blow hard
                  You are correct in one regard: there were 8 paragraphs. Good catch! I had to go back and verify

Comment

Tom Anastos, is that you?

If so, have you wiped the blood of the CCHA from your hands yet?
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

He must know the agent that got Will Muschamp another SEC head coaching job to get a contract extension.
                      ---
                      National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                      Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                      19 Conference Championships
                      10 Conference Tournament Championships
                      2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

You are the one coming off as a blow hard here. It's an internet message board. How many people on here even have the ability to say something like this to the guy's face? It was a pretty simple point he made. Tom Anastos should no longer be the coach at MSU. Do you disagree? As far as I can tell, he really didn't say anything all that insulting. He appreciates the contributions/hard work but in the end, the results haven't been good enough.

Comment

I think satking is challenging him to a duel at 10 paces.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                            You are the one coming off as a blow hard here. It's an internet message board. How many people on here even have the ability to say something like this to the guy's face? It was a pretty simple point he made. Tom Anastos should no longer be the coach at MSU. Do you disagree? As far as I can tell, he really didn't say anything all that insulting. He appreciates the contributions/hard work but in the end, the results haven't been good enough.
                            Let's be honest. Tom Anastos did not have the coaching chops to be qualified to be the coach at MSU in the first place.
                            FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                              Let's be honest. Tom Anastos did not have the coaching chops to be qualified to be the coach at MSU in the first place.
                              It was as dumb a hire as Notre Dame hiring Poulin in 1995. The difference being MSU actually had a history to uphold and revisit. Far from an exciting brand of hockey, they have been one of the most boring teams to watch in the NCAA for most of his tenure behind the bench.

He's not gonna resign though. Head coaches get fired or they take a better job.

Comment

Working...
                              X