Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fire red!!

Originally posted by Rhett Hot View Post
    More importantly, when "Red" is mentioned I'm sure anyone from the other 59 schools that are NOT Maine would think of Red Berenson.
    Well, I though of Red Gendron, but then I had also watched UNH demolish Maine last night in Manchester on WBIN.

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    In retrospect, the UMaine program was officially toast the day Standbrook retired/was pushed out.
    Yes, and Maine asked Grant to return back in 2013 according to an article in the Bangor Daily News dated 12 Jun 2013.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
    BU Hockey highlights and extras
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
      Yes, and Maine asked Grant to return back in 2013 according to an article in the Bangor Daily News dated 12 Jun 2013.

Sean
      75 by then, and probably didn't need the aggravation of trying to put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

Suspect the UMaine-iacs who'd advocated for Monty's hire are feeling a little perturbed by subsequent events.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

75 by then, and probably didn't need the aggravation of trying to put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

Suspect the UMaine-iacs who'd advocated for Monty's hire are feeling a little perturbed by subsequent events.
        Maybe some, but not the intelligent fans. Denver is only .500 this year and Monty inherited a lot more than Red. All of us love Monty but I'm not sure he was the answer. It was always going to take a lot of time regardless of who was hired.
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
          Maybe some, but not the intelligent fans. Denver is only .500 this year and Monty inherited a lot more than Red. All of us love Monty but I'm not sure he was the answer. It was always going to take a lot of time regardless of who was hired.
          doesn't really matter. could have lester patrick in charge.

umo is in the middle of nowhere with blah facilities.

better chance lake st or northern or cc wins again.

umo should probably consider playing in the canadian college league (they wouldn't consider aha, though that would at least make the locals happy with records that perhaps get above .500).
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
            Sorry it had to be done. There's no way in h el l he's going to turn this sunk....not sinking....sunk ship around. The talent he's managed to bring in are all a bunch of 4th liners. What's coming isn't any better. His "systems" don't work. There's no team discipline. It's time to cut ties with the 205K salary, clean house and start again. Find some hungry young coach who can better relate to the kids, spark some life into this dead fish program and maybe, just maybe attract some upper level talent.

Carry on!
            Hear and see what you are saying...still feel that he should stay for his 4th year...but after that..????...I still think he(Gendron)may need to tinker with his Staff, by that and I hate to throw Leach under the Bus...BUT bring in a Goaltending Coach/Assistant Coach who would be hands on with the Goaltending...be out and about looking at other recruiting goaltending prospects...and JUST STAY with 3 Coaches...Head Coach/Assistant Associate Coach(Guite) and bring in a NEW Assistant-Goaltending Coach and NO MORE Volunteer Goaltending Coaches...and if I remember correctly Gendron did say when he was HIRED...If I can't get it done in 4 years then I should be Fired/not renewed. I maybe wrong on the wording but he was talking that he needed to get it fixed and fixed in that time period. And he felt confident in doing so IIRC...(???).

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
              Hear and see what you are saying...still feel that he should stay for his 4th year...but after that..????...I still think he(Gendron)may need to tinker with his Staff, by that and I hate to throw Leach under the Bus...BUT bring in a Goaltending Coach/Assistant Coach who would be hands on with the Goaltending...be out and about looking at other recruiting goaltending prospects...and JUST STAY with 3 Coaches...Head Coach/Assistant Associate Coach(Guite) and bring in a NEW Assistant-Goaltending Coach and NO MORE Volunteer Goaltending Coaches...and if I remember correctly Gendron did say when he was HIRED...If I can't get it done in 4 years then I should be Fired/not renewed. I maybe wrong on the wording but he was talking that he needed to get it fixed and fixed in that time period. And he felt confident in doing so IIRC...(???).
              The NCAA only allows three full-time coaches including the Head Coach. A fourth must be a so-called volunteer.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

In retrospect, the UMaine program was officially toast the day Standbrook retired/was pushed out.
                The Maine program was officially toast the day Shawn Walsh passed away.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                  I disagree to a point. I don't think Monty would have been the answer but if you look ay UML, Merrimack...to an extent, and the Friars they went from the outhouse to the penthouse real quick. It wasn't because they all of a sudden had 15 NHL'ers on the squad. What was the difference? Coaching. Just my observation.

Comment

I disagree to a point. I don't think Monty would have been the answer but if you look ay UML, Merrimack...to an extent, and the Friars they went from the outhouse to the penthouse real quick. It wasn't because they all of a sudden had 15 NHL'ers on the squad. What was the difference? Coaching. Just my observation.
                    Location, Location, Location
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Don't necessarily disagree ... but Standbrook propped up Whitehead for almost a decade's worth of very competitive hockey, including two more trips to the FF Finals.

As recently discussed in the "HE What If ... " thread, it's amazing to think where UMaine was when Walshy started, and where he took the program afterwards. Maybe even more amazing in the aftermath, if the present condition of the UMaine program is in any way to be considered "water finding its own level". The one constant pretty much through all the successful times was Standbrook though, and Red's perception as being a 'happy passenger" when assisting Walshy becomes more and more apparent with every passing season.
                      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        The NCAA only allows three full-time coaches including the Head Coach. A fourth must be a so-called volunteer.
                        Yes I know that...like I said 3 Coaches and no one else...

Comment

BTW, the real "Red" (Berenson) will most likely be stepping down after this year. Nothing is really changing though (as far as we know)....
                          Originally posted by alfablue
                          Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                          Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            When you're the B1G, you get to break all the rules because you make the NC$$ gigando buckos!

Comment

Program after that was never the same and truthfully we may never see the Program at the top or near it like the Walsh era...but I don't see why "someone" can't come in and make it a whole lot better then it has been in the last 10 years...still think a young assistant with some moxie can make a go of it @ Maine...at least I hope so...but for now the future is not in good hands...as you said in another post, Merrmack/UML/Providence have been jump started and it did not take 4,5 years to do so...another PLUS for those Programs is they have HOCKEY PEOPLE in charge now...know the in's and out's...Coaching/Recruiting are the name of the game...and for the last 10 years Maine has fallen off the map in that Department.

Comment

Don't necessarily disagree ... but Standbrook propped up Whitehead for almost a decade's worth of very competitive hockey, including two more trips to the FF Finals.

As recently discussed in the "HE What If ... " thread, it's amazing to think where UMaine was when Walshy started, and where he took the program afterwards. Maybe even more amazing in the aftermath, if the present condition of the UMaine program is in any way to be considered "water finding its own level". The one constant pretty much through all the successful times was Standbrook though, and Red's perception as being a 'happy passenger" when assisting Walshy becomes more and more apparent with every passing season.
                                Don't forget that Whitehead also has Shawn's boys for 7 years or so if you count committed recruits. Yes Standbrook was a huge asset esp when it came to goaltending. The true freefall was when all of Walshys boys graduated or left for the pros.

Comment

Working...
                                X