Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ZOMG! THE FORCE AWAKENS!: All-Spoiler And Discussion Thread

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    But he looks so much like a combination of Han and Leia!

Have you not seen Adam Driver in any roles prior to this?
    I saw Lincoln, but don't recall him offhand.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Yes, those are the names, and that's my point. Were they giving the old EU book readers the big FU by naming Leia's kid Ben in this movie? We'll never know because that's not something anyone on the staff would openly state, just that it caught my attention during the show and thought I'd toss out the idea here since I know two or three others on here have read a number of the books, too.
      I highly doubt they went out of their way to flick off a rabid fanbase. 3/4 of the people seeing the movie wouldnt even know that...hell I didnt even know about Luke's kid and I read a ton of the books. Do you honestly think that Disney would make a point to deliberately change something just to point and laugh at the very nerds they plan to bilk for money?

They did it because Star Wars has always been about family in some way or another and the best way to forward the story was to show the next generation who are tied to the older generation. It makes sense that Han and Leia would have a child and they would be force sensitive. When the child was born it makes sense to name him after the man who changed the entire course of their lives Ben Kenobi. (as opposed to two random names with no real value) Nothing more and nothing less...

I know plenty of nerds that are trying to ruin his movie for themselves by nitpicking it to death or getting up in arms because of things like the kids or whatever, and they are such a minuscule group that they matter not. If they believe that Abrams thumped his nose at them that is their issue. The books were never going to be made into movies (though the Thrawn Trilogy and the Jedi Academy Trilogy would have rocked) and it is not the job of a studio or film makers to cater to a small segment of a fandom.

Friggin comic book fans do the same thing...they want every movie or tv show to adhere to the comics to the letter or he style of story they prefer. (then when they do they ***** about that too) Why would Disney or WB or Fox or Sony listen to them...even if every comic fan agreed on all of that (and they dont obviously) even a top seller like Batman sells about 100k issues. Overall probably 250k people read comics in he US...if every one of them walked away from a movie it wouldnt make friggin dent. These movies may mean more to some people, but they arent arthouse flicks they are made for mass appeal.

(I am not accusing yo of any of this btw)
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        His son basically "sucker-punched" him, although with more severe effect. If they got into a fight overall, and Han died? Ok, cool. Han was blindsided. I didn't like it. So be it. *shrug*
        Harrison Ford is like 70 years old and he looks every bit of it. Having him fight a Jedi would look pathetic and laughable. Having him die in an explosion would be a cop out. Having Ren force choke him or something would have been cheap as well.

Think about it this way...Han had two missions to help destroy the station and to try and save Ren. The second he saw his son he knew he was probably dead either way, best chance of success was to stall him and try and save him. He walked into certain death on the one a billion chance seeing his face would be enough and for a minute it was. That minute probably was enough to get save the Resistance and the New Repubic, not to mention kicked Rey and Finn into overdrive.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          \(I am not accusing yo of any of this btw)
          No, I got that. I agreed with Disney for wiping away the old books in terms of any canon so that they can tell their stories going forward. Some of those books were down right atrocious. I'd argue that only three of the writers were consistently solid (Timothy Zahn, Michael A. Stackpole and Aaron Allston), and the rest were very much hit-and-miss. Besides that, the whole thing became very messy, as people tried to ascribe to the Force users some very god-like powers that you just don't really see in the movies - the ability to blink out a star in a fit of rage, for instance.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

No, I got that. I agreed with Disney for wiping away the old books in terms of any canon so that they can tell their stories going forward. Some of those books were down right atrocious. I'd argue that only three of the writers were consistently solid (Timothy Zahn, Michael A. Stackpole and Aaron Allston), and the rest were very much hit-and-miss. Besides that, the whole thing became very messy, as people tried to ascribe to the Force users some very god-like powers that you just don't really see in the movies - the ability to blink out a star in a fit of rage, for instance.
            Yeah I totally agree...the books are fun for what they are but very few would have made any sense in a movie or even tv show. There were some great characters like Mara Jade and Grand Admiral Thrawn though.

Zahn wrote some awesome books, by far he was the best writer.
            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

The Old Guy...

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              Also, what was with the old guy in the beginning? Maybe HE'S the dad/granddad of Rey. I was too jacked up to fully take in that first scene.
              I had the same curiosity (and the same "THIS IS HAPPENING!!!" limitation to my attentiveness! )... but just who is this guy??

The character is Lor San Tekka, so I did a little 'nerding-around' on that, and found more questions than answers...

First (and least-likely IMO, due to numerous 'holes' and contradictions with other storylines): Jakku was said to be an uninhibited desert plant, until the crash landing of the Star Destroyer(s), where the survivors established a settlement which became the village shown in The Force Awakens (this alone is where many of the 'holes' and contradictions lie). Lor San Tekka was the commander of the Star Destroyer, and original leader of the settlement. He resented the Empire due to the lack of any rescue efforts at the time the Star Destroyer went-down (the Empire was “a little busy” at the time), so he became a rebel sympathizer. He had acquired that chunk of the Skywalker map and had it on-board the Star Destroyer while with the Empire (unknown to the Empire at the time) and after the lack of any rescue efforts, he had the strong desire to secretly get it into the hands of the Rebel Alliance... and the opportunity to do so finally happened many years later.

Again, I have little faith in that one... as I'm sure it can be ripped-to-shreds.

Second, with very-few details on this one... Lor San Tekka is actually Ezra Bridger in-hiding. Ezra was Padawan to Kanan Jarrus, survivor of Order 66.

Perhaps we will find-out more about this character in Rogue One?? We may hear a smidge about him in Episodes VIII and IX as dialogue to tie things together, but if this is an important character to the storyline, he would have to play a more-significant role in a movie with a prior timeline... like Rogue One. I found very-little details on Lor San Tekka in The Clone Wars series (but I didn’t look too hard, either!).

Cheers,
              ~TTF
              Last edited by Transplanted Tiger Fan; 12-19-2015, 10:20 AM.
              Dave
              RIT - '90

Comment

Sooooo...

I wouldn't put in my Top 2 for sure. It was entertaining, but I've seen it before. You have a female Luke (lemme guess the big reveal in VIII is she's his daughter), a black Han Solo, red and white R2D2 and a pedophile looking Darth Vader. Oh and a small resistance force has to blow up a giant weapon so even the plot was the same.

Again it was good and glad we saw it in IMAX, but I'm disappointed.
                Last edited by Slap Shot; 12-19-2015, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  Sooooo...

I wouldn't put in my Top 2 for sure. It was entertaining, but I've seen it before. You have a female Luke (lemme guess the big reveal in VIII is she's his daughter), a black Han Solo, red and white R2D2 and a pedophile looking Darth Vader. Oh and a small resistance force has to blow up a giant weapon so even the plot was the same.

Again it was good and glad we saw it in IMAX, but I'm disappointed.
                  Rey being Luke's daughter is not a big reveal, IMO. That's the most likely scenario. A big reveal would be the Kenobi theory or something. If you look back, sometimes the story DOES take the most obvious turn...

Right now, only Empire (duh) was better. New Hope and Sith are up in the mix, though, along with this one, for me.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Re: The Old Guy...

Originally posted by Transplanted Tiger Fan View Post
                    I had the same curiosity (and the same "THIS IS HAPPENING!!!" limitation to my attentiveness! )... but just who is this guy??

The character is Lor San Tekka, so I did a little 'nerding-around' on that, and found more questions than answers...

First (and least-likely IMO, due to numerous 'holes' and contradictions with other storylines): Jakku was said to be an uninhibited desert plant, until the crash landing of the Star Destroyer(s), where the survivors established a settlement which became the village shown in The Force Awakens (this alone is where many of the 'holes' and contradictions lie). Lor San Tekka was the commander of the Star Destroyer, and original leader of the settlement. He resented the Empire due to the lack of any rescue efforts at the time the Star Destroyer went-down (the Empire was “a little busy” at the time), so he became a rebel sympathizer. He had acquired that chunk of the Skywalker map and had it on-board the Star Destroyer while with the Empire (unknown to the Empire at the time) and after the lack of any rescue efforts, he had the strong desire to secretly get it into the hands of the Rebel Alliance... and the opportunity to do so finally happened many years later.

Again, I have little faith in that one... as I'm sure it can be ripped-to-shreds.

Second, with very-few details on this one... Lor San Tekka is actually Ezra Bridger in-hiding. Ezra was Padawan to Kanan Jarrus, survivor of Order 66.

Perhaps we will find-out more about this character in Rogue One?? We may hear a smidge about him in Episodes VIII and IX as dialogue to tie things together, but if this is an important character to the storyline, he would have to play a more-significant role in a movie with a prior timeline... like Rogue One. I found very-little details on Lor San Tekka in The Clone Wars series (but I didn’t look too hard, either!).

Cheers,
                    ~TTF
                    Since they used Max von Sydow as the actor who played Lor San Takka, it's tough to think of it as a throw-away part. It's certainly possible for them to have used his talent like that, not unprecedented at all for other franchises, just seems like that character must have had more to do than hand over the map.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

One big complaint I read is hat this is just a rehashing of ANH...well I wont lie I find Episode 4 rather boring for most of the movie (and whiny Luke is just so...ugh) ad i a never bored in this movie. This movie is a much better telling of that story imho.
                      -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        One big complaint I read is hat this is just a rehashing of ANH...well I wont lie I find Episode 4 rather boring for most of the movie (and whiny Luke is just so...ugh) ad i a never bored in this movie. This movie is a much better telling of that story imho.
                        Whiny Luke, whiny Anakin in the next set of movies....I agree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Transplanted Tiger Fan View Post

Cheers,
                          ~TTF
                          Ezra is the main character in Star Wars Rebels show. He's an orphan kid that's part of crew on a ship doing missions at the beginning of the Rebellion, with Kanan training him. I guess it could be plausible that he's that character but it's a real long shot to me.

Rebels also just introduced Ahsoka Tano, Anakin's apprentice from the Clone Wars series.
                          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                            Ezra is the main character in Star Wars Rebels show. He's an orphan kid that's part of crew on a ship doing missions at the beginning of the Rebellion, with Kanan training him. I guess it could be plausible that he's that character but it's a real long shot to me.

Rebels also just introduced Ahsoka Tano, Anakin's apprentice from the Clone Wars series.
                            Rebels has established that a few Jedi escaped Order 66, but that the Emperor has Vader and the newly created Inquisitors (dark side force users who are not technically Sith) hunting down the remaining Jedi and Force-sensitive beings who refuse to join the Empire. I've only seen season one of the show, so I don't know anything of what's happened in season two yet. Since it's a TV show, one began by Disney especially, they hold it as canon in the Star Wars universe, and elements of it could show up in the movies.

Ezra would be about the right age for Lor San Tekka. Rebels begins about 10 years prior to A New Hope, Ezra was 15 when the story began, which would make him between Han's and Luke's/Leia's ages.

Comment

Rebels has established that a few Jedi escaped Order 66, but that the Emperor has Vader and the newly created Inquisitors (dark side force users who are not technically Sith) hunting down the remaining Jedi and Force-sensitive beings who refuse to join the Empire. I've only seen season one of the show, so I don't know anything of what's happened in season two yet. Since it's a TV show, one began by Disney especially, they hold it as canon in the Star Wars universe, and elements of it could show up in the movies.

Ezra would be about the right age for Lor San Tekka. Rebels begins about 10 years prior to A New Hope, Ezra was 15 when the story began, which would make him between Han's and Luke's/Leia's ages.
                              I've watched Rebels as well, like you I haven't seen much of Season 2, but to me it's been established that Vader and the Inquisitors are seeking to only destroy the remaining Jedi. I know he's the right age and it is plausible but, I just can't see a Jedi Padawan becoming the Captain of a Star Destroyer.
                              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                                I've watched Rebels as well, like you I haven't seen much of Season 2, but to me it's been established that Vader and the Inquisitors are seeking to only destroy the remaining Jedi. I know he's the right age and it is plausible but, I just can't see a Jedi Padawan becoming the Captain of a Star Destroyer.
                                Ooo, no, no... I put those 'out there' as separate "theories", not necessarily related. My apologies if it came-out that way. And from what you guys are saying, the second "theory" certainly appears to be the better of the two (although there are sure to be more/better possibilities!).

Cheers!!!
                                ~TTF
                                Dave
                                RIT - '90

Comment

Working...
                                X