Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: College Football 2015-16: Bowls, Playoffs, and Offseason

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    What will be interesting is if anyone covers up criminal cover-ups.

But IF all the administrators get fired (and go to jail, as appropriate) and involved players go to jail- that's not enough? I see your point, but IF enough people get "taken out" it seems like that would be enough.
    Well, here's a fun start to the cover-ups. Ken Starr changes answer three times with help of PR director.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      Even if it doesn't get the official death penalty a la SMU, they'll get something worse than PSU received because the NCAA can't be seen as weak on rape twice in a row for big schools.
      The difference is that Baylor is new money, Penn State is old money. The NCAA would have loved to give Penn State more than a slap on the wrist, but the truth is, their actual power is kind of limited if someone is willing to put up a real fight against them. The level of fanaticism was so deeply ingrained at Penn State that people were willing to close their eyes, cover their ears, and keeping fighting to the point that it just didn't even become worth it for the NCAA. I don't see that happening at Baylor and they'll probably get hammered for it(and rightfully so).
      Originally posted by dicaslover
      Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
      Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
        The difference is that Baylor is new money, Penn State is old money. The NCAA would have loved to give Penn State more than a slap on the wrist, but the truth is, their actual power is kind of limited if someone is willing to put up a real fight against them. The level of fanaticism was so deeply ingrained at Penn State that people were willing to close their eyes, cover their ears, and keeping fighting to the point that it just didn't even become worth it for the NCAA. I don't see that happening at Baylor and they'll probably get hammered for it(and rightfully so).
        Where in the NCAA bylaws gave the NCAA permission to drop the hammer on Penn St.? You have to violate a bylaw (not a criminal statute) for NCAA administrative penalties to happen.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Where in the NCAA bylaws gave the NCAA permission to drop the hammer on Penn St.? You have to violate a bylaw (not a criminal statute) for NCAA administrative penalties to happen.
          This was my point. 409, brother. At whatever cost, 409.
          Originally posted by dicaslover
          Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
          Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Something in the NCAA's bylaws would have been written that require schools to act with honesty and integrity, or similar wording. Failure on the part of the PSU coaching staff to report Sandusky raping those boys would show a lack of commitment to the bylaws to which PSU would have agreed to support when signing up for the NCAA long ago.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              Something in the NCAA's bylaws would have been written that require schools to act with honesty and integrity, or similar wording. Failure on the part of the PSU coaching staff to report Sandusky raping those boys would show a lack of commitment to the bylaws to which PSU would have agreed to support when signing up for the NCAA long ago.
              That's criminal (and civil). The bylaws deal with recruiting, and eligibility and championships.

If Jerry was embezzling the athletic department to the tune of $100,000 annually and was the behavior was reported to the administration and they did nothing, could the NCAA drop the hammer?
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

That's criminal (and civil). The bylaws deal with recruiting, and eligibility and championships.

If Jerry was embezzling the athletic department to the tune of $100,000 annually and was the behavior was reported to the administration and they did nothing, could the NCAA drop the hammer?
                The NCAA is independent of the court system. They're their own entity. It really doesn't matter what ruling a judge or jury would hand down. Once you voluntarily join an organization and sign documents to agree with their rules, you've agreed to their punishments as well. Unless the NCAA acts outside the authority granted to them by the schools, one of which the NCAA has been granted is clearly the "Death Penalty," there's nothing the offending college or university can do.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  The NCAA is independent of the court system. They're their own entity. It really doesn't matter what ruling a judge or jury would hand down. Once you voluntarily join an organization and sign documents to agree with their rules, you've agreed to their punishments as well. Unless the NCAA acts outside the authority granted to them by the schools, one of which the NCAA has been granted is clearly the "Death Penalty," there's nothing the offending college or university can do.
                  Ah, the Goodell defense.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

The bylaws clearly deal with more than just recruiting, eligibility and championships as they also dictate to the schools how much time an athlete can spend in preparation for games. I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on them, but the NCAA is such a large organization they're sure to have a large number of CYA rules and regs to encompass events like this.

Comment

Ah, the Goodell defense.
                      Is your angle:

1) Sandusky didn't do anything
                      2) PSU didn't really do anything
                      3) The NCAA are big meanies

Seriously?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                        Is your angle:

1) Sandusky didn't do anything
                        2) PSU didn't really do anything
                        3) The NCAA are big meanies

Seriously?
                        No - a crime was committed. Jerry Sandusky will not see the light of day as a free man in this lifetime.
                        No - a coverup by university officials occurred. Civil and criminal penalties should apply (see the RC Church).
                        Yes - Did Mark Emmert have the authority to do what he did? The rollback suggests he did not.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          2.1, 2.2, 2.4, and 2.8 of the division 1 manual

Comment

Granted it's the ESPYs, but one college football player got nominated for Best Record-Breaking Performance. Oddly the Heisman voters decided not to choose that guy.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

This is likely to set off a scoreboard building boom in the MAC. Or drive them off to either drop their programs down or drop football altogether.

40 foot tall, 72.5 feet wide for a grand total of 2900 square feet. It would be just 4 square feet smaller than the video screen at Oregon. The biggest board currently in the MAC is at Toledo, which is only 1500 square feet, at 50 feet by 30 feet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...m_video_boards
                              bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

"How's Joe Paterno? We're gonna bring that back? Right? How about that whole deal?"

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Working...
                                X