Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey XXXVI: Stop looking for the silver lining and ignoring the problem!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXXVI: Stop looking for the silver lining and ignoring the probl

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
    Yeah, all it needs is just better coaches and players.

Look at Jan all confident and proud of herself and the new click she's hanging with!

How cute.

She has no idea that she's still Jan though and it breaks my heart that realization will certainly set in at some point as one can put on a wig, but one cannot change who she is.

Last edited by Gurtholfin; 01-27-2016, 04:23 PM.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXXVI: Stop looking for the silver lining and ignoring the probl

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
      That or beyond. UMN, UW, and UM have all been traditional powerhouses. Every school in the Big Ten has the resources to get to that level. Just depends on whether or not they want to use those resources for hockey. UMN, UW (despite Barry), and UM I believe are committed to doing what it takes to make hockey successful. I believe Penn State is as well, but I'm taking a wait and see approach. OSU and MSU are less clear. Then you have possible expansion.

Point is, if Big Ten wants to throw huge money at coaching, facilities, etc... there are few NCHC schools that could match. UND would do whatever it takes, who else would?

I think the Big Ten schools aren't going to sit back and watch the hockey conference struggle. There will be some coaching changes, and I think that is what is really holding back a few schools. Look at the huge recruiting boost BU got from a coaching change. I'd expect the same at UW and possibly MSU.

Michigan is already turning things around and Minnesota has already back to form. Turn UW and MSU around and expand the BTHC and I'd expect the Big Ten to be one of the strongest conferences in college hockey (along with the NCHC and Hockey East) in the next 5-10 years or less.
      I was poking fun. With its vast resources and the core schools with great hockey tradition, there is no reason the B1G should not be able to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bratbill View Post
        Who Says Barry Doesn't CARE ?

MADISON, Wis. – With the inaugural "Super Saturday – College Hoops & Hockey" doubleheader set for Saturday in New York City, the Big Ten announced future matchups for 2017, 2018 and 2019, with Wisconsin set to compete at legendary Madison Square Garden on Jan. 28, 2017.

The doubleheader features conference competition on an annual basis in late January or early February, with nine different Big Ten institutions competing in men's basketball and/or hockey from 2016-19.

Next season, the Badgers will take on Rutgers in men's basketball and Ohio State in men's hockey.

"This is a tremendous opportunity for our program and especially our student-athletes," Wisconsin Director of Athletics Barry Alvarez remarked. "It will be a great experience for them to play in this unique event in one of the most famous arenas in the world. We have a large number of fans and alumni in the New York area and this is a fantastic chance for them to see our teams compete. The Big Ten has developed a number of innovative ways to expand the reach of the conference and this is another terrific example."

Wisconsin basketball has a history with Madison Square Garden. Most recently, the Badgers competed in the 2K Classic at MSG in November, falling to Georgetown before knocking off VCU in the third-place game. UW's hoops history with The Garden extends back to 1947 when the Badgers played a pair of NCAA tournament games in the third version of the World's Most Famous Arena. Wisconsin defeated Navy in the East Regional consolation game after losing to CCNY in the semifinals. Three different Badgers have been drafted by the New York Knicks: Dick Miller (1956), Jack Brens (1964) and Joe Chrnelich (1980). Most recently, Marcus Landry spent time on the Knicks active roster during the 2009-10 season.

For the Wisconsin hockey team, it will mark the first appearance at Madison Square Garden in program history. However, a group of former Badgers have gone on to significant careers for the New York Rangers at the Garden, including current Rangers' captain Ryan McDonagh (2010-present) and assistant captain Derek Stepan (2010-present). Former Badger Mike Richter has his number retired in the MSG rafters from his spectacular NHL career (1988-2003) that included the 1994 Stanley Cup championship. Other Badgers who played for New York include Mike Blaisdell (1983-85), Bruce Driver 1995-98), Patrick Flatley (1996-97), Tony Granato (1988-90), Terry Kleisinger (1985-86), Brian Mullen (1987-91), Barry Richter (1995-96), Dean Talafous (1978-82) and Wayne Thomas (1977-81).

The inaugural "Super Saturday – College Hoops & Hockey" doubleheader will feature Penn State and Michigan in both basketball and hockey on Saturday at The Mecca. The basketball game will tip at 11 a.m. CT, while the hockey game will begin at 6 p.m. BTN will air both contests.

On Saturday, Jan. 20, 2018, Minnesota will entertain the Buckeyes on the court, while Michigan State will host the Gophers on the ice. In 2019, Maryland will face Illinois in men's basketball. The 2019 hockey matchup, times for 2017 and 2018 and date and times for 2019 will be announced at a later date.

In Dec. 2014, the Big Ten announced an extensive agreement with Madison Square Garden to feature the Big Ten Men's Basketball Tournament in New York City for the first time in 2018, along with men's basketball and hockey doubleheaders from 2016 through 2019 and a significant branding presence both inside and outside the building.

About the Big Ten Conference: The Big Ten Conference is an association of world-class universities whose member institutions share a common mission of research, graduate, professional and undergraduate teaching and public service. Founded in 1896, the Big Ten has sustained a comprehensive set of shared practices and policies that enforce the priority of academics in the lives of students competing in intercollegiate athletics and emphasize the values of integrity, fairness and competitiveness. The broad-based programs of the 14 Big Ten institutions will provide over $200 million in direct financial support to more than 9,500 students for more than 11,000 participation opportunities on 350 teams in 42 different sports. The Big Ten sponsors 28 official conference sports, 14 for men and 14 for women, including the addition of men's ice hockey and men's and women's lacrosse since 2013. For more information, visit www.bigten.org.

About The Madison Square Garden Company: The Madison Square Garden Company (MSG) is a world leader in live sports and entertainment with a portfolio of legendary sports teams, exclusive entertainment productions and celebrated venues. MSG Sports owns and operates some of the most widely recognized sports franchises: the New York Knicks (NBA), the New York Rangers (NHL) and the New York Liberty (WNBA), along with two development league teams -- the Westchester Knicks (NBADL) and the Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL). MSG Sports also presents a broad array of world-class sporting events, including: professional boxing, college basketball, tennis, bull riding and e-gaming events. MSG Entertainment features exclusive, original productions that include the Radio City Christmas Spectacular and the New York Spring Spectacular, both showcasing the Rockettes. MSG Entertainment also presents or hosts a wide variety of live entertainment offerings, including concerts, family shows and special events, in the Company's diverse collection of iconic venues. These venues are: New York's Madison Square Garden, The Theater at Madison Square Garden, Radio City Music Hall and Beacon Theatre; the Forum in Inglewood, California; The Chicago Theatre; and the Wang Theatre in Boston. More information is available at www.themadisonsquaregardencompany.com.
        this is honestly exactly what is wrong with Barry "I'm not a hockey guy" Alvarez.

This window dressing sort of circus show is ridiculous. no-one, but no-one cares about the Big 10 in NYC even for football so this is going to be a big flop. But beyond that the hockey team doesn't need MSG, it NEEDS WINNERS WITHIN THE COACHING STAFF AND ON THE ICE.

but let's go ahead and guess as to whether they'll even be able to sellout the inaugural. even if they do they'll quickly have to reduce the roundball to having Rutgers or Maryland in annually and since PSU is the closest in hockey they'll have to have them as an annual entrant just to try and get the place to 1/2 full

for god's sake they couldn't even fill up the bradley center any longer with hockey in a one and done tournament and they'd be doubtful to achieve that in more than a handful of games for men's basketball as well if they moved every game to the BC

wake up Darth Alvarez, bolster the homegrown and hometown fanbases first (and that means firing the coaching staff for hockey) then *maybe* think about an annual tournament though it would have made more sense to do a B10 vs. Hockey East tourney in Boston and Minneapolis on the hockey side and leave basketball out of it since it's so ****ing oversaturated as it is
        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          Look at Jan all confident and proud of herself and the new click she's hanging with!

How cute.

She has no idea that she's still Jan though and it breaks my heart that realization will certainly set in at some point as one can put on a wig, but one cannot change who she is.

Don't feed...

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
            this is honestly exactly what is wrong with Barry "I'm not a hockey guy" Alvarez.

This window dressing sort of circus show is ridiculous. no-one, but no-one cares about the Big 10 in NYC even for football so this is going to be a big flop. But beyond that the hockey team doesn't need MSG, it NEEDS WINNERS WITHIN THE COACHING STAFF AND ON THE ICE.

but let's go ahead and guess as to whether they'll even be able to sellout the inaugural. even if they do they'll quickly have to reduce the roundball to having Rutgers or Maryland in annually and since PSU is the closest in hockey they'll have to have them as an annual entrant just to try and get the place to 1/2 full

for god's sake they couldn't even fill up the bradley center any longer with hockey in a one and done tournament and they'd be doubtful to achieve that in more than a handful of games for men's basketball as well if they moved every game to the BC

wake up Darth Alvarez, bolster the homegrown and hometown fanbases first (and that means firing the coaching staff for hockey) then *maybe* think about an annual tournament though it would have made more sense to do a B10 vs. Hockey East tourney in Boston and Minneapolis on the hockey side and leave basketball out of it since it's so ****ing oversaturated as it is
            I would imagine this has more to do with justifying having the B1G network in the NYC market. Having the cable providers in the NYC market force the B1G network through there packages has made the B1G schools a lot of money. I believe getting the NYC market on board gives the B1G around 15-20 mil more a year through the TV contracts.

I doubt attendance matters that much for these events. This is a made for TV event.

Comment

No wonder they haven't had time to keep an eye on the hockey program. They've been busy with negotiations to play a game 1000 miles away from either team's fanbase!

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                I was poking fun. With its vast resources and the core schools with great hockey tradition, there is no reason the B1G should not be able to do it.
                I know you were, and your point was a good one. NCHC is a great conference and nothing the B1G does will change that.
                @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

How cute.

To your other point, a program's goal should be to put itself in position to make a run as often as possible with the idea that the more you are in the Tourney, the better your odds of eventually getting a title.

The collateral benefit of that is a winning program that is entertaining on a year to year basis which keeps the fans engaged and hopeful.
                  It's not your fault.
                  Originally posted by SJHovey
                  Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                  Originally posted by Brenthoven
                  We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Anyone check out this weeks Badger Hockey Digest on YouTube? Pretty good coverage of the 06 team..laughed when Eaves said only 2 players can make it back for this weekend...

Comment

• Originally posted by BadgerHockey9 View Post
                      Anyone check out this weeks Badger Hockey Digest on YouTube? Pretty good coverage of the 06 team..laughed when Eaves said only 2 players can make it back for this weekend...
                      Wow, just 2 players can make it. i know several of them are still playing but not enough where you'd think a reunion would consist of 2 guys.

Poisoned well I guess
                      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                        Wow, just 2 players can make it. i know several of them are still playing but not enough where you'd think a reunion would consist of 2 guys.

Poisoned well I guess

What idiot would schedule an 06 (10 year) reunion during the NHL/AHL/Various Euro League season?
                        Last edited by Gurtholfin; 01-27-2016, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                          It's not your fault.

Jan... you are so adorable.

Makes me almost... almost hope that you someday win something... ANYTHING of consequence.

Almost.

And shut UP Slappy!

It's like a stray puppy. So pathetic and hideous to look upon that's it's sorta cute... and oh so hungry. I can't help myself.

Last edited by Gurtholfin; 01-27-2016, 07:16 PM.

Comment

I don't think this weekend was ever supposed to be a major reunion. It's just a 10th-anniversary celebration. Most of those guys are playing pro hockey in some capacity, and the college hockey season doesn't go into the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by BuB View Post
                              Well, being a UWSP grad and long time coach at SNC - would he desire such a move? Is he content being the proverbial "big fish in a small pond?"

I am not trying to be critical of Coach Coghlin, I've never met him and do not say that as an indictment of him as a person/coach. I just know some people prefer being successful in a very comfortable, less stressful environment.
                              I don't know. But my gut feeling -- and to emphasize, this is nothing more than my gut feeling -- is that if UW called him tomorrow and offered him the job he'd take it. As stated in my earlier post, it's all moot considering the job isn't even open and I don't want to get too far off on some tangent while the UW players are (to their credit) out there busting their asses to salvage whatever it is this has become, but I will say this:

As we go through life, we encounter people who are exceptions or anomalies. They are few and far between, but whether we're talking musicians, artists, politicians, coaches, or anything else one can come with, every once in a while someone comes along who is, for lack of a better word, a savant.

For all I have seen and all the information I have accumulated and processed over the past 20 years, I believe Tim Coghlin is one of those exceptions. And I'd bet a lot on it and am willing to put my real name and reputation (hi altazo!) behind it. Bo Ryan was also, and he came from a similar background and seemed to fare alright without even having the deck stacked in his favor the way any men's hockey coach at UW does.

Just my two cents, but I assure you I don't say these types of things lightly.
                              I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

And shut UP Slappy!

It's like a stray puppy. So pathetic and hideous to look upon that's it's sorta cute... and oh so hungry. I can't help myself.

This fits!

Comment

Working...
                                X