This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2015-2016 (Part Two) - Managing Decreasing Expectations

[QUOTE=bomberhockey;6265062]I know I'm singing the same one note song, but here's my take. The defense lost one dman although huge he didn't play 60 minutes a night. You alienate a kid in his sophomore year that had the same amount of points his fresh year as Tyk his freshman year in fewer games played. He bolts. The other piece missing from last year moved to coach the defense during last year when he'd traditionally coached PP and forwards. What has/is the communication been like from the coaches.
    If youve just transitioned to a new team with no leadership you have no idea the pulse or chemistry so you really can take little blame. If you were told by your AD that you don't cut it as an HC at your alma mater, how much are you going to buy in? If you retired 4-5 years ago and you're suddenly thrust back into leadership after your AD tells your enabler that he has no future here, what are your odds of getting back into step even if you wanted to do it? What happens in 2+ years when their is a change and your recruits that have committed can decommitt without penalty, aka Gouldreat/ NU take another look?
    My opinion is that if SB were given a written opportunity he wouldn't have let this happen! First the decommitts wouldn't have happened. Second you wouldn't have had to renegotiate the commits that stayed for fulls from halves, that includes some of the blue chips still coming!
    And finally even f you are an extremely motivated young athlete, what message are you receiving? Is the apathy contagious? What is the message? They've mailed it in!
    Nothing can be done now just go forward from here. The AD has to his job and correct this in 2016 not 2018![/QUOTE]

Never gonna happen. nope, never. Pride is a HUGE pill to swallow. Read today's Union leader story. KS talks about being in a 'foxhole'. At least they are in it together. Onward 'Cats!!! Just bring what you can to the ice...oh and your Pesce comment? I agree; that's what has been my issue about the D...sure he was HUGE to the D but dang, one kid isn't the entire season. Is it?
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-30-2016, 10:58 AM.
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
      Let's just say I would happily take the AD malpractice case and use this as exhibit a to incompetence and abdicating the best interests of the program, along with a claim against Umile for putting his own interests ahead of the best interests of the program.
      When Kullen was in the throes of his single digit win seasons, but before his heart issue, he was given an ultimatum by Mooradian to improve the program or he would be gone. That's a fact. When Borek screwed up the email rules did Marty call him and Umile in and ask what the heck was happening? When UNH announced Reid was an incoming freshman in May, then had to back track in July, did Marty go to admissions and give them a piece of his mind? When Gaudreau fell in their lap but admissions refused to look at his transcript, did Scarano intercede? When the quality of the product fell off the cliff 4 or 5 years ago was a Mooradian style ultimatum given? Umile, just like Charlie Holt and Bob Kullen before him, is not one to upset the apple cart. He likes continuity, he values loyalty above all else. If this is a problem, and it was and is, it is up to others to shake the tree. Marty Scarano has not done this. There is plenty of blame to go around but only one person has the responsibility for hiring and firing (Karen Kay anyone). What if the Souza experiment fails? How long will Marty give him before he will be gone?
      Last edited by Greg Ambrose; 01-30-2016, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Not too many years ago I would have been in the middle of this discussion about the immediate future of UNH Hockey and the HC. If someone were to ask me if I cared anymore I would hesitate for a long time before answering. That kind of delay contains a message for me. It also became a little clearer a few days ago when speaking with another 40 year fan and season ticket holder who said, "I hope they don't win a game the rest of the year and maybe that will force Marty's hand." I couldn't believe what I was hearing - because it was coming from one of the most ardent fans I know.

Seems like some of us have arrived at a place we don't want to be - and we firmly believe it didn't have to be this way .........

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
          Let's just say I would happily take the AD malpractice case and use this as exhibit a to incompetence and abdicating the best interests of the program, along with a claim against Umile for putting his own interests ahead of the best interests of the program.

Quick, name one other college succession plan like this. There's the long time assistant model (cedorchuk) that never works, and there's the sudden health issue (Umile and Whitehead) that is of necessity and is short term transition. Unless you have to do 1 out of loyalty, or 2 out of need, you do 3, a typical search committee to find the best candidate.

Umile wanted to do 1, pick his successor, but didn't want to actually retire, so they created this half arsed model.
          Could still happen. Promises are kept/broken, contracts bought out.
          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            Never gonna happen. nope, never. Pride is a HUGE pill to swallow. Read today's Union leader story. KS talks about being in a 'foxhole'. At least they are in it together. Onward 'Cats!!! Just bring what you can to the ice...oh and your Pesce comment? I agree; that's what has been my issue about the D...sure he was HUGE to the D but dang, one kid isn't the entire season. Is it?
            If he were here, paired with Cleland we'd have a top 5/10 in the country pairing. Split them up and we have 2 top 15/20 pairings. Knowing you have a player like BP behind you builds all kinds of confidence, you play less tentatively. Not saying we'd be whatever and 0 on the season, but think about the staring 5 we would have had. Few teams in the country would have had better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
              If he were here, paired with Cleland we'd have a top 5/10 in the country pairing. Split them up and we have 2 top 15/20 pairings. Knowing you have a player like BP behind you builds all kinds of confidence, you play less tentatively. Not saying we'd be whatever and 0 on the season, but think about the staring 5 we would have had. Few teams in the country would have had better.
              Good points! Seems like the confidence factor has been an issue. You can see it in their play. I am still hopeful Furgele Marks and Dawson will develop as I see positive elements in their games. Well it is what it is. Can only go forward.
              Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-30-2016, 02:04 PM.
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Let the record reflect I was not the person who brought the AD's role in the current situation to the fore today.

Let the record also reflect I'm in full agreement with most (if not all) the criticism leveled at him on here.
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

ps. And while this is miniscule in the big pic, why don't any of our captains speak to the press? Ever? I follow all the news stories and I have YET to see one of the 3 addressing the media? Eric Knodel always had input into stories...the years past him have rarely included captains remarks.
                  Kudos to you Chuck, for not being tempted by the low hanging fruit....
                  UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Kyle Smith nice rebound 1-1
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

OMG our first lead in like forever!!! TyK gets the assist on the Corealle goal 2-1 'Cats
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Vela and Gaudreault assists on the Smith goal. Hadn't noticed Vela was on the first line last night and apparently again tonight. Good for him.
                        Last edited by Darius; 01-30-2016, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Best two periods I've seen our 'Cats play in a long long time! Great D in front of the goal we are on it and here comes the third!
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Leaman wants Umile to leave more than Chuck does.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                            -Blackadder
                            "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                            -Casablanca
                            "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                            -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Feeling good for the 'cats.

Looks like Jankowski lost his chit.

Comment

A full 60 congrats 'Cats!! Happy for Smitty named number 1 star for the game. Nice win and well deserved.
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X