• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New age restrictions for NCAA hockey

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    Dan Myers spoke to Don Lucia today:

http://danmyers.blogspot.com/2015/11...ll-things.html
    Unless I'm missing something, he just decided not to ask him "So why slip this in and ignore the fact that an overwhelming number of schools DO NOT want this?"

Lucia is a joke. These quotes are just ridiculous.

"I don't see how it hurts anyone". Because you're either stupid or being willfully ignorant.

“Everybody has a right to their opinion. And that’s fine. But respect other people’s opinions too, that’s how I look at it.” - Yes, everyone has a right to their opinion, and you're just going behind the backs of the majority of the sport and pushing a rule change that benefits your team. What an absolute fraud.
    Lowell Forever
    Forever Lowell

Comment

• Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
      Half of the conference should be looking for new coaches next year. Michigan obviously is, though it's not really much of a search as it is a phone call to the North.
      Keep dreaming.......

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
        Not sure if serious.

No one gives two ****s about Rutgers. Syracuse is New York's college team.
        It doesn't matter what people care about in NYC, all that matters is that B1G can claim NYC as home territory and force BTN on better tier and charge more.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
          Unless I'm missing something, he just decided not to ask him "So why slip this in and ignore the fact that an overwhelming number of schools DO NOT want this?"

Lucia is a joke. These quotes are just ridiculous.

"I don't see how it hurts anyone". Because you're either stupid or being willfully ignorant.

“Everybody has a right to their opinion. And that’s fine. But respect other people’s opinions too, that’s how I look at it.” - Yes, everyone has a right to their opinion, and you're just going behind the backs of the majority of the sport and pushing a rule change that benefits your team. What an absolute fraud.
          To add to that I'd say he's being disingenuous.

I'm still trying to figure out the chances of this passing without most of the college hockey programs approving it, but like someone said, that sure would be a crappy way to get through. Wonder how that would negatively affect the relationships with coaches around college hockey.
          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            It doesn't matter what people care about in NYC, all that matters is that B1G can claim NYC as home territory and force BTN on better tier and charge more.
            ...despite the fact that almost nobody in the tri-state area (NY-NJ-CT) even knows the BTN even exists and even fewer could care less about what Rutgers does in any sport. Modern sports economics is a truly wond'rus thing.
            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Yeah, the B1G is big on footprint.

Maybe the B1G starts by getting in ASU in for hockey and in a couple years when nobody's looking, the whole PAC 12 becomes the B1G WEST. Barry already sent Bielma down to lay the groundwork for the B1G SOUTH a couple years ago.
              Originally posted by WiscTJK
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
              Originally posted by Timothy A
              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                To add to that I'd say he's being disingenuous.

I'm still trying to figure out the chances of this passing without most of the college hockey programs approving it, but like someone said, that sure would be a crappy way to get through. Wonder how that would negatively affect the relationships with coaches around college hockey.
                It's not just Lucia or the B1G. 11 schools coaches approved of the idea. We know 9 of those schools combined have won more than half of all championships, so I don't think it's too hard to guess which ones they are. I'm not sure how well they all get along now considering the various published remarks.

If there's that kind of divide, I wonder, in the big scheme of things, who needs who more? The "marquis" schools do wield a lot of power I'd think with their larger fan bases and ability to generate media attention.
                Originally posted by WiscTJK
                I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                Originally posted by Timothy A
                Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy
                  need some help, contradictory info between eliteprospects and uscho:
                  I need position, home town, dob, class for the following players or confirmation they aren't on the team.

BU J.D. Carrabino
                  He's no longer on the team.

Comment

position, home town, dob, class
                    SCSU T.J. Belisle FWD, Andover, MN, 31Jul1992 , Sr
                    SCSU Joseph Benik FWD, Andover, MN- Birthplace St. Francis MN, 26Jan1992 , Sr

Best friends- They both played at St. Francis High School together along with Joey's(Joseph Benik) twin brother Andy who attends all the games and played goalie at St. Francis.
                    TJ is a walk-on who has only played a handful of games over his career, only one exhibition game this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                      Keep dreaming.......
                      Funny, people said the same about Harbaugh.

Outsiders don't understand. Never will.
                      ---
                      National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                      Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                      19 Conference Championships
                      10 Conference Tournament Championships
                      2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

I'm in my own basement right now, and I hope to work through every team...just started with my own league. It takes an awful lot of time with not everything being located on either eliteprospects (missing class) or uscho (missing DOB).
                        You need to know when the kids graduated high school for it to mean anything. For example, Bemidji has the Fitzgerald triplets who, depending on your assumptions, may or may not be affected by this rule. They were born Aug. 26th. If they were young for their grade, they would see their eligibility affected by this proposal. But if they were old for their grade, they wouldn't. Remember, according to the reports we have, the cap is 20-years-old or 2 years after their projected high school graduation date. Basically, ,they are given 2 years of junior hockey after graduating high school before they would see their eligibility affected.

I've been looking at this myself, using College Hockey News as a resource. I considered guys born in June, July and August to be tossups as to whether this proposal would have affected them. I think it's a reasonable assumption that guys born the first week of June were probably young for their grade, and guys born the last week of Aug. probably were old for their grade. The guys in between we just can't say without more info.

Based on that, here's what I have for Tech in terms of Freshman entering the program over the past 5 years:

Tech
                        '15 - 1 - Evan Anderson
                        '14 - 0
                        '13 - 1 maybe 2 - Max Vallis, Reid Sturos (early-Aug. birthday)
                        '12 - 1 - Patrick Anderson (13gp in 2+ years)
                        '11 - 1 Justin Fillion (33gp in 3 years, left early) *Blake Hietala redshirt, was within proposed limits his 1st year

So that's 4 or 5 guys over 5 years, and one of them left the program before his eligibility ran out.

EDIT: I'll note that in none of these, for any team, did I count the 3rd-string netminder
                        Last edited by Stauber1; 11-26-2015, 03:19 AM.

Comment

I was also curious about Union. In one of the blog articles that was posted awhile back, the author talked about MN being embarrassed by Union in the Nat. Championship game (not sure who felt that was embarrassing?) and that was probably part of the impetus for the proposal. He also said Union was able to build their program because of older guys like Mat Bodie who wouldn't have been able to play in that Nat. Championship game under this proposal. The Problem? Bodie wouldn't have been affected by this proposal. He would have had 4 years of eligibility. Maybe the author was thinking of the elder Kyle Bodie who graduated a year earlier and would have lost a year of eligibility? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

At any rate, Union had 4 or maybe 5 players on that team who would have been affected by the proposal, but none of them were seniors so they all would have still been eligible to play the year Union won it all. Additionally, 1 of them has never really played and didn't play any NCAA tournament games in 2014. The 4 players who did play - Eli Lichtenwald (Fr, June birthday) Sam Coatta (Jr, 31pts in 141 career gp) Sebastian Gingras (Soph) Matt Wilkins (Soph)

OK. How about the author's claim that Union built their program on the backs of older players like Mat Bodie who would have lost eligibility (assuming Bodie would have lost eligibility, which he wouldn't have). Here is a breakdown of incoming Union freshman over the past 5 years who would have had their eligibility affected by this proposal:

Union
                          '15 - 1 - Sebastian Vidmar
                          '14 - 1 - Roman Ammirato
                          '13 - maybe 2 - Matt Krug (July birthday, 23gp in 2+ years) Eli Lichtenwald (June birthday)
                          '12 - 2 - Sebastian Gingras, Matt Wilkins
                          '11 - 1 - Sam Coatta

So 4-7 players over 5 years
                          Last edited by Stauber1; 11-26-2015, 03:47 AM.

Comment

Maybe that author was accounting for both of MN's losses to ECAC teams in the NCAA tournament over the last 3 years. So lets look at Yale's incoming freshman in the past 5 years who would have had their eligibility affected:

Yale
                            '15 - 0
                            '14 - 1 - Nate Repensky
                            '13 - 0
                            '12 - 0
                            '11 - 0

So a total of 1 over 5 years

Comment

Sandelin was quoted in the most recent article linked. So how about Duluth? They certainly have had the Gophers' number over the past couple years...

Duluth
                              '15 - maybe 2 - Adam Johnson(June birthday) Parker Mackay (June birthday)
                              '14 - 0
                              '13 - 0
                              '12 - maybe 1 - Willie Corrin (Aug birthday)
                              '11 - 1 - Derik Johnson

So between 1 and 4 over the past 5 years

Comment

Quinnipiac! They are always one of the oldest teams in the country, they must have a lot right?

Quinn
                                '15 - 0
                                '14 - 0
                                '13 - 1 - Tim Clifton
                                '12 - 3 - Alex Miner-Barron, Tom Hillbrich (1gp in 3+ years), Matt Lemire (21gp in 3 years, left team)
                                '11 - 1 - Jack Callahan, never played a game, only rostered his Fr year

So a total of 5 over 5 years, and 2 of them left the program before their eligibility ran out. All together 4 of the 5 accounted for 22gp in 7+ years

Comment

Working...
                                X