Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New age restrictions for NCAA hockey

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    without complete analysis of the players and their specific circumstances and complete knowledge of redshirt players here is what I have based on a cutoff date of 9/1 each year the WCHA has the following breakdown:

18 yo (12, 4.4%)
    19 yo (46, 16.7%)
    20 yo (113, 41.1%)
    21 yo+ (104, 37.8%)
    I appreciate that this took some time to look through. Wisconsin has 5 players that I think would fall into this age category, but only one that I think it would make a difference for. If all WCHA teams were like that, then there would be about 20-21 players affected. Which is completely not what I'm saying. I'm saying I don't know what to make of it. But as we speak, I trust someone is in their mom's basement dutifully researching every single player in the NCAA to get the answer!
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
      Nor should it be driven by a small minority of coaches using sleazy and underhanded tactics to get what they want, purely because it gives them a competitive advantage. But here we are.
      I don't know... isn't that pretty much how NCAA Football (and to a slightly lesser extent, Basketball) works?
      I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

40 years ago when I was an undergrad at Clarkson, the freshman were either 18 or 19 (though Dave Taylor was 17 when he played his 1st varsity game). US players generally went an extra year in prep school (hello Northwood!) to get even with the Canadian kids who had grade 13. It was the same at all the other ECAC schools and the few CCHA (St. Louis, BG and WMU) that we played. US Junior leagues were non existent.

Somewhere along the line some enterprising college coach realized that he could play (and win!) with older players. If the program was successful (and, if it is who I think it was, it was very successful) then in the monkey see, monkey do world of sports other schools began to copy this school.

Ah - but since US kids are 18 when they graduate from college and now colleges are recruiting 20 year olds, what happens to the poor US waifs? Voila! The USHL, followed soon by the NAHL and then the EJHL. Without the expansion of recruiting 20 year olds, US junior leagues would be a lot smaller.

FYI, IIHF junior leagues are U20, which means 20 year olds are not playing. North American junior leagues are 20U.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

So all this basically means is that the big ten will be in control of making the rules for NCAA D1 hockey moving forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
            I appreciate that this took some time to look through. Wisconsin has 5 players that I think would fall into this age category, but only one that I think it would make a difference for. If all WCHA teams were like that, then there would be about 20-21 players affected. Which is completely not what I'm saying. I'm saying I don't know what to make of it. But as we speak, I trust someone is in their mom's basement dutifully researching every single player in the NCAA to get the answer!
            I'm in my own basement right now, and I hope to work through every team...just started with my own league. It takes an awful lot of time with not everything being located on either eliteprospects (missing class) or uscho (missing DOB).
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

So if you are the B1g and your ratings are dropping and you can find a straw man to blame it on,
              And you can make more money and win more by getting the rule changed. why not. Makes sense to me.
              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Dan Myers spoke to Don Lucia today:

http://danmyers.blogspot.com/2015/11...ll-things.html
                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                  Dan Myers spoke to Don Lucia today:

http://danmyers.blogspot.com/2015/11...ll-things.html
                  “So they are looking out for their program, and I am looking out for ours."

There it is. The rest is window dressing.
                  scsuhockey.com
                  CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

Comment

The bigger issue for me is that they went to the NCAA and did an end run around the rest of college hockey. People who have nothing to do with college hockey are going to be making a decision that will change the landscape of the game. That is a really crappy way to go about bringing this change.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      40 years ago when I was an undergrad at Clarkson, the freshman were either 18 or 19 (though Dave Taylor was 17 when he played his 1st varsity game). US players generally went an extra year in prep school (hello Northwood!) to get even with the Canadian kids who had grade 13. It was the same at all the other ECAC schools and the few CCHA (St. Louis, BG and WMU) that we played. US Junior leagues were non existent.

Somewhere along the line some enterprising college coach realized that he could play (and win!) with older players. If the program was successful (and, if it is who I think it was, it was very successful) then in the monkey see, monkey do world of sports other schools began to copy this school.

Ah - but since US kids are 18 when they graduate from college and now colleges are recruiting 20 year olds, what happens to the poor US waifs? Voila! The USHL, followed soon by the NAHL and then the EJHL. Without the expansion of recruiting 20 year olds, US junior leagues would be a lot smaller.

FYI, IIHF junior leagues are U20, which means 20 year olds are not playing. North American junior leagues are 20U.
                      Back in the day, Minnesota refused to play Denver because they started placing older players on their roster. It's something that gets brought up at least once per season by the media, it seams. It's a funny thing to think about with them both being WCHA at the time, yet there was a long stretch of years they didn't play. DU did quite well for itself during that time.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Critical Thinker View Post
                        What do you mean Rutgers didn't work out? The B1G got the New York TV market because of it. That's all they ever wanted out of Rutgers.
                        Not sure if serious.

No one gives two ****s about Rutgers. Syracuse is New York's college team.
                        ---
                        National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                        Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                        19 Conference Championships
                        10 Conference Tournament Championships
                        2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          I'm in my own basement right now, and I hope to work through every team...just started with my own league. It takes an awful lot of time with not everything being located on either eliteprospects (missing class) or uscho (missing DOB).
                          Wouldn't hockeydb have that type of info? It might not be in the right format to easily grab, now that I think of it.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                            It's not just Delaney. It's Red. It's Anastos. It's Lucia. It's Barry Alvarez and all the coaches and AD's. Take away the AHA games and the non conference record is abysmal. It had to be stopped.
                            Half of the conference should be looking for new coaches next year. Michigan obviously is, though it's not really much of a search as it is a phone call to the North.
                            ---
                            National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                            Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                            19 Conference Championships
                            10 Conference Tournament Championships
                            2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                              For thirteen years, Tom Anastos watched college hockey flourish under his leadership of the CCHA. But now that he is currently 32-39-11 (.457) as a head coach, it's apparently all the small schools fault in recruiting "overaged canadians" that his team sucks and can't win games.

No problem with schools recruiting the would-be 25 year old seniors when he controlled 12 teams. Now that he controls one, it's a problem.
                              The thing that pi55ed me off the most about the CHN story was Tom freaking Anastos opining about what's wrong with the current eligibility system. Of all people, a man who can barely win at a school with everything going for it like Michigan State thinks he knows what's best for the sport. Tom Anastos deserves to be coaching club teams.

Screw the Big 14 to the high heavens. These aholes destroyed college hockey and now that they're getting their just desserts they want to rig the game in their favor. Screw them.
                              CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

• Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                                Half of the conference should be looking for new coaches next year. Michigan obviously is, though it's not really much of a search as it is a phone call to the North.
                                Mel's not coming back to Michigan.
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X