St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

I am really surprised that no one seemed to have noticed a comment Carvel made on the Facebook page yesterday and then he deleted just shortly after. He responded to another young man's comment about the tournament in Belfast next year and the guy he was responding to was misinformed. He responded to his comment with "No. You're absolutely wrong. Once again!". I think he probably thought twice about how that may be viewed coming from a Division 1 hockey coach on social media and so he deleted it because I went to show someone later and it was gone.
    St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
    4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
    2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
    16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
    9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
    2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

This is exactly the reason that NCAA transfer rules are for @#%$. Coaches can do any @#$ $%#@ thing they please without regard to contracts, players, administration etc. I don't really care if they want to move on to a new opportunity i get that, but the rules need to be equivalent for the players. NCAA is %$#%@# up

Comment

Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
        The Jonathan Quick 44-save robbery?
        I don't know what you're talking about Muskie but I have some faint memory of trying to take out an overly happy and overly large Minuteman by the knees in the concourse of some arena in Western NY.

As far as the "greater resources" of UM-Amherst, that all depends if they want to commit those resources. They haven't done a **** thing in college hockey, even when they happened to fall into the best goaltender not only in college hockey, but probably on the planet for at least a short period. They are all about bouncy ball.

I'm not sure if Carvel's comments are so much an indictment of the SLU fan base but I've got to wonder if the "limited resources" he might be referring to might be the commitment of administration to the hockey programs. Your neighbors to the east have a president and board of trustees that are committed to the D1 and D3 athletic programs. Although it hasn't quite shown in the men's hockey team yet, there is definitely support at the highest levels for academics. They hired a coach who was among the bright stars in Casey Jones (although some of us aren't really satisfied with him), they're committed to putting big money into Cheel, and the results are evident in the women's program as well as several of our D3 programs that have had their most successful seasons ever. Tony Collins and his wife are seen regularly at men's and women's D1 and D3 sporting events. Maybe it's administration support that Carvel is talking about because we all know the fan base is there.
        Clarkson Golden Knights Men
        10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
        5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
        21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
        ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
        ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018
        7 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
        National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Stop focusing on what Carvel did or didn’t do. He’s gone and he ain’t looking back. Old news. Take the fact that he got swept away with a big check and learn from it. Focus on the real problem, which is exactly what our neighbor from the east says. NO REAL SUPPORT FROM THE ADMINISTRATION. They need to commit to making SLU hockey a Division 1 program. The money and the time and the commitment needs to come first from the school, the president and the board of trustees, then the fans and alumnae; not the other way around. The team got to the ECAC semis in the last two years so it is clear the talent is there. Now the Administration needs to get on board. They can prove their commitment to the hockey program now by being willing to spend the funds necessary to hire a competitive Division 1 level coach who will take this team all the way. We need someone with the passion and experience to perform our coach search. Then, the school needs to invest its resources to get the program on par with comparable D-1 schools to help with recruiting and fan interest. How is SLU going to compete with the new facilities of Penn State, Colgate, QU, Clarkson, Notre Dame, Harvard, etc. to attract the best players (or coach, for that matter)?

Time for SLU to jump up and stop the negative advertising of “smaller resources” in its tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by blueliner2 View Post
            Stop focusing on what Carvel did or didn’t do. He’s gone and he ain’t looking back. Old news. Take the fact that he got swept away with a big check and learn from it. Focus on the real problem, which is exactly what our neighbor from the east says. NO REAL SUPPORT FROM THE ADMINISTRATION. They need to commit to making SLU hockey a Division 1 program. The money and the time and the commitment needs to come first from the school, the president and the board of trustees, then the fans and alumnae; not the other way around. The team got to the ECAC semis in the last two years so it is clear the talent is there. Now the Administration needs to get on board. They can prove their commitment to the hockey program now by being willing to spend the funds necessary to hire a competitive Division 1 level coach who will take this team all the way. We need someone with the passion and experience to perform our coach search. Then, the school needs to invest its resources to get the program on par with comparable D-1 schools to help with recruiting and fan interest. How is SLU going to compete with the new facilities of Penn State, Colgate, QU, Clarkson, Notre Dame, Harvard, etc. to attract the best players (or coach, for that matter)?

Time for SLU to jump up and stop the negative advertising of “smaller resources” in its tracks.
            +1 Well said.

Comment

• Originally posted by blueliner2 View Post
              They can prove their commitment to the hockey program now by being willing to spend the funds necessary to hire a competitive Division 1 level coach who will take this team all the way.
              I'm pretty sure SLU has had a competitive Division 1 level coach for about 35 consecutive seasons.
              Last edited by TimU; 04-03-2016, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
                I'm pretty sure SLU has had a competitive Division 1 level coach for about 35 consecutive seasons.

Truth be told we aint going to be competitive w/ the likes of the Ivies, PSU, ASU etc. We don't have the endowment. Yet we have some enormously talented and perhaps overlooked players who bought into a system with talented coaches such as Marsh, Menard and Carvel. Our 32 athletic offerings have been guided of late by two of the best A.D. s in the field. Our overall athletic performance is near the top (Learfield Cup) and our athletic facilities have been rated highly - even including D1 schools. It will always be a struggle for small schools (Union, CC etc) to reach the top of their respective leagues let alone make it to the Frozen Four. Both Presidents Sullivan (3 sport ODK athlete) and Fox have been enormously supportive and have had an open door policy w/ Margie and Bob. I would encourage others, as I have, to remember SLU in their annual giving and further down the road, in their wills.
                SLU65

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
                  I think he was referring to the fact that Carvel had just recently (back in December I believe) signed a new 5 year contract extension with St. Lawrence University. Now this? I too want to know more about that contract and how that all works/worked?
                  Not looking to stir up a hornet's nest here --- as I've already got some on the FB Page questioning my actions I noted there. But, is it possible that somebody like/perhaps UMASS Amherst (if, indeed, there's no tampering rules re coaches) reached out to him in December or before, Greg pulled the "power-play" back then, and SLU responded with a new contract in December? We will never know, but it makes me wonder.

To the players and incoming recruits, I suggest that you will be better off once a new coach and staff are in place. I just wish the existing players didn't have to hear about this whole thing before Greg could meet with you. Not only is/was that an embarrassment - at least to me as a fan - it is/was just plain wrong (thanks to Social Media and whoever the idiot(s) was/(were) who leaked the news).
                  GO SAINTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
                    Not looking to stir up a hornet's nest here --- as I've already got some on the FB Page questioning my actions I noted there. But, is it possible that somebody like/perhaps UMASS Amherst (if, indeed, there's no tampering rules re coaches) reached out to him in December or before, Greg pulled the "power-play" back then, and SLU responded with a new contract in December? We will never know, but it makes me wonder.

To the players and incoming recruits, I suggest that you will be better off once a new coach and staff are in place. I just wish the existing players didn't have to hear about this whole thing before Greg could meet with you. Not only is/was that an embarrassment - at least to me as a fan - it is/was just plain wrong (thanks to Social Media and whoever the idiot(s) was/(were) who leaked the news).
                    Idiots? Thats journalists jobs...
                    Quinnipiac University '15
                    ECAC Regular Season Champs: 2013, 2015, 2016
                    ECAC Championship: 2016
                    NCAA Tournament: 2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
                    NCAA Frozen Four: 2013, 2016
                    Yuck Fale : 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by BigAl View Post
                      Idiots? Thats journalists jobs...
                      Somebody in the UMass Athletic Department, or somebody with knowledge of the situation, let BucciCool know of it. He was first to mention on Twitter, I believe. That's more what muskie is getting at.

From there, sure, reporters gotta report.

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
                        Apologies if this is a reply that went somewhere else (I sent it blurry eyed late last night). As A Union grad and fan I've been where you are and once felt your pain when Nate Leaman left for PC after 2010-2011. However, I've learned since then that the most important element of any head coach's tenure isn't how long he stayed but what he left the next coach who succeeds him. Carvel in my opinion did a great job succeeding Joe Marsh - a living legend - who ran a clean and very successful program for twenty five years. Carvel never missed a beat and he moved the program forward. Your next coach will be given the opportunity to do the same and considering SLU's rich hockey history I have faith in your AD and President to hire the right person who will also move your program forward. Our president and AD did that for us when they hired Rick Bennett in April 2011 and three years later we watched confetti fall from the rafters on all of them in Philadelphia. As hard as it is to imagine that moment you have to remember what Tug McGraw once said ... "you gotta believe!". Keep the faith - Go SLU (except when you play U)!

Comment

He who does the recruiting is the most important person. Bring in a bad class or two can ruin a program despite how good the head coach is.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

To make the situation even worst I have heard that we are losing at least three recruited players!

Comment

Originally posted by slufan View Post
                              To make the situation even worst I have heard that we are losing at least three recruited players!
                              That would be surprising and unfortunate. Were these recruits slated for next season or a few season's out? It appears most or all of the recruits coming for next season have signed their National Letter of Intent, which binds them to SLU for next season.
                              SLU '97

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceman View Post
                                That would be surprising and unfortunate. Were these recruits slated for next season or a few season's out? It appears most or all of the recruits coming for next season have signed their National Letter of Intent, which binds them to SLU for next season.
                                Chris Heisenberg's list only shows 2 signings for NLI unless that list in not fully up to date yet. It's really not surprising when there is a coaching change for recruits to de-commit. It happens everywhere in the NCAA.
                                QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                                2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                                2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                                2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                                https://***********/QHockeyBlog
                                https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                                https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/