St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

I love how connected SLU and Colgate are...........our beloved coaches, Terry Slater and Don Vaughan, both graduates and DV once an asst. at SLU and now our alumnus Mark Morris at the helm. Mark is a good guy. Your program will be fine.....and one to look out for going forward. Congrats on a great hire!

Comment

Originally posted by maineiac View Post
      And as was so famously stated by Roseanne Roseannadanna............"NEVER MIND"!
      With regard to the quote you are referring to from Got 6......the mistake you are making Maineiac is your interpretation of "our." In this case the "our" was many of the posters and Got 6 (certainly not all) on this thread. The "our" was not SLU, it's AD nor the Search Committee. Many of us still feel Morris was not the best candidate. However, what our suspicions were during the hiring process......are now proving to be confirmed by Morris's quotes in the Watertown Times article and elsewhere. A "national search" was supposed to be conducted to find the best coach possible to replace Carvel. What is clear now is that Durocher wanted Morris all along, and in fact called Carolina almost immediately to "ask permission" to talk to Morris and was given that permission. I have no doubt that Durocher and Morris were talking before that, and that Morris all along was Durocher's guy. Everything that happened after that initial permission.... including the so called "Search Committee" was nothing more than window dressing and a sham to make it look "official" and above board when in fact it was anything but. The only unknown to me is how Durocher (my guess is that President Fox was involved) got him through the HR approval process?

How much of a search was really conducted? Search implies "seeking candidates and letting candidates apply." The first thing Durocher did was contact "his guy" Morris. There was likely no real "national search" for the best candidate. There was just enough done to give it the appearance of legitimacy.
      SLU

Comment

Great hire!!!
        Elite players will be lining up

Comment

Which assistant was the primary recruiter under Carvel? Think it will change under Morris?
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Which assistant was the primary recruiter under Carvel? Think it will change under Morris?
            He went with Carvel. Under Morris, I see this situation as a quagmire.
            I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              While DeMichael departed with Carvel........it is my understanding that Mike Hurlbut has been the primary recruiter.

Part of Morris's deal I am sure was that the admin said Hurlbut (who is a great asset) was staying.
              SLU

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                Great hire!!!
                Elite players will be lining up
                +1
                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

• Originally posted by critsports View Post
                  While DeMichael departed with Carvel........it is my understanding that Mike Hurlbut has been the primary recruiter.

Part of Morris's deal I am sure was that the admin said Hurlbut (who is a great asset) was staying.
                  And has been confirmed through one of the WDT articles. Hurlbut will remain in his associate HC role.

Comment

For those who haven't seen this in the Facebook group, here's a little thing I wrote about our star goaltender's place in SLU history after a mere two years...

After only two seasons, Kyle Hayton is already well on his way to being the greatest goalie in SLU history. In addition to the obvious competitive boost he gives the team, his stats really are amazing. He's on track to break every SLU career goaltending record other than winning percentage, and not just to break them, but to blow most of them away.

Currently, Kyle's predecessor, Matt Weninger, holds all of the SLU records for amount of work put in between the pipes. Matt has huge leads in appearances (132), minutes (7539), and saves (3409). But Kyle, only halfway through his career, has more than half as many appearances and way more than half as many minutes and saves. He's already in the top ten in those categories for entire careers:
                    - 69 appearances, 10th all-time
                    - 4230 minutes, 6th all-time
                    - 2061 saves, 8th all-time

And not only has his work been impressive in quantity, its quality has been the best SLU has ever seen. He could do significantly worse over his final two years and still finish with the school's best save percentage and goals-against average ever. His current numbers after two years:
                    - .936 save percentage (current full-career record: .920, Eric Heffler)
                    - 1.99 GAA (current full-career record: 2.38, Sarge Whittier)

He's amassed 8 shutouts, leaving him only one short of the legendary Bill Sloan's career record of 9.

In wins, he's currently tied for 8th all-time with 37, on track to surpass Bill Sloan's career record of 65.
                    Canton High School '76
                    SLU '81
                    KSLU game broadcasts '80-'81
                    SLU fan '63-infinity

Comment

Originally posted by SluStatsMan View Post
                      For those who haven't seen this in the Facebook group, .......
                      I know you kicked Joe out of the facebook group but I would like to join if nothing more than to read about these things. To who does one apply to?
                      Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                      And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                      WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                      If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

• Originally posted by vicb View Post
                        I know you kicked Joe out of the facebook group but I would like to join if nothing more than to read about these things. To who does one apply to?
                        Just don't criticize and you'll be fine.

I called out Kyle's golf swing and got banned.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                          Vic..........just go to Saint Lawrence Hockey Fans on Facebook........there should be a drop down in the picture to ask to join the group. Joe.....the administrator is much more tolerant of divergent views these days. Not sure how we would go about it but we'd certainly love to have you back on. Mike
                          SLU

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                            Vic..........just go to Saint Lawrence Hockey Fans on Facebook........there should be a drop down in the picture to ask to join the group. Joe.....the administrator is much more tolerant of divergent views these days. Not sure how we would go about it but we'd certainly love to have you back on. Mike
                            Thanks. Looking forward to joining.
                            Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                            And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                            WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                            If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                              I'm not sure I'd describe recent history as an increase in tolerance. But maybe if some of the current members brought it up with him, he'd reverse his decision. I would hope so.
                              Canton High School '76
                              SLU '81
                              KSLU game broadcasts '80-'81
                              SLU fan '63-infinity

Comment

• Originally posted by SluStatsMan View Post
                                I'm not sure I'd describe recent history as an increase in tolerance. But maybe if some of the current members brought it up with him, he'd reverse his decision. I would hope so.
                                Don't bother.

Btw, the advert for the asst. coach is out.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X