Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

Originally posted by techtodenver View Post
    In most cases the school will be accepting of the players wish to leave though because of the coaching change. Just happened to Carvel the other day, Ty Pelton-Byce flipped to Harvard after already signing an NLI
    Thanks for the info. I meant but forgot to mention earlier that a school can release you from your NLI and you can appeal to the NCAA if they won't release you. Didn't know anything about how things work in practice, though.

However, in that particular case of Ty Pelton-Byce switching from UMass to Harvard, the NLI should be irrelevant because the Ivies don't participate in the NLI program.
    Canton High School '76
    SLU '81
    KSLU game broadcasts '80-'81
    SLU fan '63-infinity

Comment

Originally posted by SluStatsMan View Post
      Thanks for the info. I meant but forgot to mention earlier that a school can release you from your NLI and you can appeal to the NCAA if they won't release you. Didn't know anything about how things work in practice, though.

However, in that particular case of Ty Pelton-Byce switching from UMass to Harvard, the NLI should be irrelevant because the Ivies don't participate in the NLI program.
      Very relevant as UMASS does participate in the NLI and holds the NLI, not Harvard.

Comment

Originally posted by drewcu View Post
        Very relevant as UMASS does participate in the NLI and holds the NLI, not Harvard.
        According to the NLI website, it's irrelevant:

"What happens if I change my mind about attending the institution with which I signed?

And I want to attend another NLI institution instead:
        - The NLI basic penalty is that you lose one year of competition in all sports and must serve one year in residence at your next NLI institution.

But I do not want to attend another NLI institution:
        - The penalty does not have to be served unless you attend an NLI institution."

http://www.nationalletter.org/freque...rARelease.html
        Canton High School '76
        SLU '81
        SLU fan '63-infinity

Comment

Did anyone else see Matt Vautour's March 8th article in the Sun Gazette and tweet naming Carvel as a potential candidate for the UMass position? March 8th was way before the leak at the end of March (and was about a week before the ECAC games at LP.) Wonder where he got his info and wonder why we missed it.

Comment

Originally posted by blueliner2 View Post
            Did anyone else see Matt Vautour's March 8th article in the Sun Gazette and tweet naming Carvel as a potential candidate for the UMass position? March 8th was way before the leak at the end of March (and was about a week before the ECAC games at LP.) Wonder where he got his info and wonder why we missed it.
            I just went and found the article. He was just speculating about possible candidates and included Greg because of his ties to UMass.

http://www.gazettenet.com/Sports/UMa...r-hockey-coach
            Canton High School '76
            SLU '81
            SLU fan '63-infinity

Comment

Originally posted by slufan View Post
              The information is coming second hand but originates from the coaches.
              A "great" day for hockey. RUMORS that whatever number of SLU recruits may be jumping ship are circulating, and "I 'WANNA HOLD (SHAKE) YOUR HAND" wins.
              GO SAINTS.

Comment

I just went and found the article. He was just speculating about possible candidates and included Greg because of his ties to UMass.

http://www.gazettenet.com/Sports/UMa...r-hockey-coach
                I didn't see this initially either and I don't know, the whole "the following list of candidates who could be involved" thing seems a little sketchy to me. Every single one of the candidates on the "could be involved" list have/had one thing in common in that they are all interested in becoming head coaches somewhere to better themselves. Would that just randomly leave Coach Carvel out on a ledge as the one of that list who isn't or wasn't looking around? Or at the very least being in discussions with the UMass program at some level? Also, the fact that he was following the AD Bamford on Twitter for weeks before the season ended, and not months or years in the event that they had ties to each other, is also suspect to say the least. I'm not saying he is guilty of anything, but it certainly is something to ponder.
                St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
                4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
                2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
                16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
                9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
                2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

https://twitter.com/GarrettCecere/st...08640631984128

Cecere has changed his mind, will now go to Northeastern.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post

Lets not lose sight of what we do have! A team that is well established in a system of play that suits them well. Yes a lot of hard work is done to recruit, however, current players and their performance go a long way in helping in this process. SLU has three stud, 2way defense-men returning. (they know who they are!) along with a goaltender who should be considered to wear a" C" on his Jersey for this coming season. Hopefully there is a dialogue among current players and recruits that is ongoing through this process of naming a new head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
                      I didn't see this initially either and I don't know, the whole "the following list of candidates who could be involved" thing seems a little sketchy to me. Every single one of the candidates on the "could be involved" list have/had one thing in common in that they are all interested in becoming head coaches somewhere to better themselves. Would that just randomly leave Coach Carvel out on a ledge as the one of that list who isn't or wasn't looking around? Or at the very least being in discussions with the UMass program at some level? Also, the fact that he was following the AD Bamford on Twitter for weeks before the season ended, and not months or years in the event that they had ties to each other, is also suspect to say the least. I'm not saying he is guilty of anything, but it certainly is something to ponder.
                      The story I heard was that Greg and his wife were watching the ECAC championship game when she received a call on her cell. After about a minute she turned to Greg and said you will be getting a call from UMass tomorrow. Happy wife happy life!

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post

I posted a comment about this in the FB fans group, but in case anyone is interested and isn't in that group...

Obviously we don't want defections, but his defection worries me about as little as any would.
                        - He's a defenseman, and it's forwards that are the big issue for next year.
                        - While there might be other defections to come, currently we'd have four other defensemen coming in over the next two years to replace the four who will graduate next year. And even if there are more defections among the D recruits, there'll be time to grab a late recruit or two for '17-'18 if necessary after the new coach gets going.
                        - Because he already played a year plus a few games at Colorado College, he probably has about two and a half years left.
                        - I was actually kind of surprised when he committed to us in the first place because we're so loaded at D for next year -- I wouldn't have been surprised if he had defected to Northeastern even if Carvy hadn't left, because they have only 7 defensemen coming back next year while we have 8, with all 6 of our regular spots taken up this past season by guys who will be back.
                        Canton High School '76
                        SLU '81
                        SLU fan '63-infinity

Comment

I posted a comment about this in the FB fans group, but in case anyone is interested and isn't in that group...

Obviously we don't want defections, but his defection worries me about as little as any would.
                          - He's a defenseman, and it's forwards that are the big issue for next year.
                          - While there might be other defections to come, currently we'd have four other defensemen coming in over the next two years to replace the four who will graduate next year. And even if there are more defections among the D recruits, there'll be time to grab a late recruit or two for '17-'18 if necessary after the new coach gets going.
                          - Because he already played a year plus a few games at Colorado College, he probably has about two and a half years left.
                          - I was actually kind of surprised when he committed to us in the first place because we're so loaded at D for next year -- I wouldn't have been surprised if he had defected to Northeastern even if Carvy hadn't left, because they have only 7 defensemen coming back next year while we have 8, with all 6 of our regular spots taken up this past season by guys who will be back.
                          I completely agree. Probably wasn't all that committed to SLU in the first place: it's clear that playing for Greg Carvel was not the only reason he decided to leave CC, and if he really wanted to be at SLU, then why jump ship before we've hired a coach? And we already have one of the best defensive units in the country. If anything this may open up playing time (and possibly a few dollars) for incoming recruits. Northeastern is a good school. Good luck and have fun. SLU is still in excellent shape.

Comment

Hurlbut Out of Running at St. Lawrence

Comment

Looks like coaching candidates will be on the SLU campus this week. http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/s...ruits-20160417
                              SLU '97

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceman View Post
                                Looks like coaching candidates will be on the SLU campus this week. http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/s...ruits-20160417
                                My wishes/hopes for the new coach.
                                Think we need an outgoing, charismatic new coach with some past ties to the University. I also think that given our location.....we need someone with some NHL experience on his resume as that can and will help in the recruiting Department. We have a unique set of circumstances that require a specific coach and skill set to do well. Canton, NY is not exactly the center of the universe. Our campus is beautiful and Appleton has often been called the Fenway Park of the ECAC. But......it's not the TD Bank/Q Pac Sports Center. We don't have the glitz and glamour. We have history, substance, a personal experience in a very rural and beautiful environment. It's not for everyone.....but it is for the right recruits and players. Coach Carvel and Hurley started a renaissance and we need a coach that can continue to build on that. We also need a dynamic and charismatic coach who can come on board and KEEP all the recruits who committed. If indeed all the candidates are on campus this week........I wish Bob D and the search committee well in hiring the next great coach at SLU.
                                SLU

Comment

Working...
                                X