X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Ten > NCHC

Originally posted by MN_Sioux_Fan View Post
    I am late to this game, but started reading when it was created. I like puzzles....so to see if Speed's comments were warranted, I put together some numbers. This wasn't a difficult or elaborate set, but like anything, took some time as I only looked up the information while on work breaks.

I went back over the last 20 years of NCAA Tournaments as that gives us more relevance to today's teams (Even though it would help my team, I could go back further, but it's not really relevant...which is why I believe that Speed's comments were absurd in the first place.)

Anyways, back to the numbers. I assigned 1 point if you made the tournament, and then an additional point for every game a team has won. So, in the modern era with 16 teams in the tournament, there would be 31 available points: 16 points (1 for each team), 8 points (2nd round), 4 points (3rd round - F4), 2 points (Championship Game), 1 extra point for the Champion. So the winner would have 5 points, runner up with 4 and so forth.

I then added up the total points for each conference as they currently exist after the realignment regardless of what conference the team was in when they won. That way, it would coincide with Speed's initial post of the B1G winning more. Let's take a little look-sey

2014-2015 - AHA (2), B1G (1), ECAC (3), HE (10), NCHC (13), WCHA (2)
    2013-2014 - AHA (1), B1G (5), ECAC (7), HE (9), NCHC (6), WCHA (3)
    2012-2013 - AHA (2), B1G (2), ECAC (11), HE (7), NCHC (8), WCHA (1)
    2011-2012 - AHA (1), B1G (5), ECAC (5), HE (9), NCHC (6), WCHA (5)
    2010-2011 - AHA (1), B1G (4), ECAC (4), HE (7), NCHC (14), WCHA (1)
    2009-2010 - AHA (1), B1G (6), ECAC (5), HE (8), NCHC (7), WCHA (4)
    2008-2009 - AHA (2), B1G (2), ECAC (4), HE (12), NCHC (8), WCHA (3)
    2007-2008 - AHA (2), B1G (8), ECAC (3), HE (10), NCHC (8), WCHA (0)
    2006-2007 - AHA (1), B1G (8), ECAC (2), HE (13), NCHC (6), WCHA (1)
    2005-2006 - AHA (2), B1G (9), ECAC (3), HE (10), NCHC (6), WCHA (1)
    2004-2005 - AHA (1), B1G (7), ECAC (4), HE (6), NCHC (12), WCHA (1)
    2003-2004 - AHA (2), B1G (8), ECAC (1), HE (9), NCHC (11), WCHA (0)
    2002-2003 - AHA (1), B1G (9), ECAC (4), HE (9), NCHC (4), WCHA (3) * Wayne St folded
    12 Team Tournament - 27pts available
    2001-2002 - AHA (0), B1G (9), ECAC (4), HE (9), NCHC (5), WCHA (0)
    2000-2001 - AHA (1), B1G (9), ECAC (1), HE (8), NCHC (8), WCHA (0)
    1999-2000 - AHA (2), B1G (5), ECAC (4), HE (10), NCHC (6), WCHA (0)
    1998-1999 - AHA (0), B1G (6), ECAC (3), HE (12), NCHC (5), WCHA (1)
    1997-1998 - AHA (0), B1G (11), ECAC (3), HE (9), NCHC (4), WCHA (0)
    1996-1997 - AHA (0), B1G (6), ECAC (4), HE (6), NCHC (11), WCHA (0)
    1995-1996 - AHA (0), B1G (8), ECAC (3), HE (9), NCHC (5), WCHA (2)
    1994-1995 - AHA (0), B1G (9), ECAC (2), HE (10), NCHC (4), WCHA (2)

Totals - AHA (22), B1G (137), ECAC (80), HE (192), NCHC (157), WCHA (30)

Take what you want from it. The breakdown is:

HE
    NCHC
    B1G
    ECAC
    WCHA
    AHA

The most recent few years is more relevant in my opinion as it shows what the trend has been. Even using the 20 years that I used is irrelevant but I wanted some history. Sure, I could go back to the 50's and 60's to support Speed's comments.....but Michigan then is not Michigan now....same can be said for Denver and ND then versus now....

I don't know why I even cared to do this...but it was kind of fun.
    Now, if we take these 20 year point totals and divide them by the number of teams in each current league, since Hockey East with 12 teams has twice the opportunity for points as the B1G with 6 teams (one of which only existed for what, 3 or 4 years of this 20 year history we're looking at, but I'm not going to take time to factor that) we get the following:

Points per team by league over 20 years

B1G 22.8
    NCH 19.6
    HE 16
    ECAC 6.7
    WCHA 3
    AHA 2
    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
    7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
      Now, if we take these 20 year point totals and divide them by the number of teams in each current league, since Hockey East with 12 teams has twice the opportunity for points as the B1G with 6 teams (one of which only existed for what, 3 or 4 years of this 20 year history we're looking at, but I'm not going to take time to factor that) we get the following:

Points per team by league over 20 years

B1G 22.8
      NCH 19.6
      HE 16
      ECAC 6.7
      WCHA 3
      AHA 2
      I confess I had exactly the same thought and can confirm that despite all the rumors to the contrary, Wolverines can do simple division correctly.

The B1G is clearly 3.2 MN_Sioux_Fan units better than everyone else. Thanks. We all anxiously await our giant trophy's for winning.
      Except PSU. Probably can just send them one of those green participation ribbons.
      Originally posted by WiscTJK
      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
      Originally posted by Timothy A
      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
        I confess I had exactly the same thought and can confirm that despite all the rumors to the contrary, Wolverines can do simple division correctly.

The B1G is clearly 3.2 MN_Sioux_Fan units better than everyone else. Thanks. We all anxiously await our giant trophy's for winning.
        Except PSU. Probably can just send them one of those green participation ribbons.
        To be honest, I had already considered the averages of teams. My post wasn't to say one league is better or tougher than others. More simply, it was to refute the "facts" that Speed tried to use for his/her basis on tournament experience. As any Gopher fan can attest to, trying to use the total number of Championships (which were predominantly won a long time ago) as a measurement of league toughness, is like saying that UND is better than MN because 7>5. In both of those statements, there are facts but there is no logic, or should I say, it doesn't hold water.

Now, since I started, I am going to go further with some numbers to try and even out the playing field. Soon to follow

Comment

Originally posted by MN_Sioux_Fan View Post
          To be honest, I had already considered the averages of teams. My post wasn't to say one league is better or tougher than others. More simply, it was to refute the "facts" that Speed tried to use for his/her basis on tournament experience. As any Gopher fan can attest to, trying to use the total number of Championships (which were predominantly won a long time ago) as a measurement of league toughness, is like saying that UND is better than MN because 7>5. In both of those statements, there are facts but there is no logic, or should I say, it doesn't hold water.

Now, since I started, I am going to go further with some numbers to try and even out the playing field. Soon to follow
          First of all, MN_Sioux, never be honest with these people. That will get you nothing but frustration and heartache.

Also, if you are going to refine your calculations, you should probably account for the Michigan Skew, otherwise known as the Hula Hoop factor.
          Last edited by burd; 11-12-2015, 12:57 PM.

Comment

So I broke down some more numbers for the fun of it. I used the same scoring system from above. And I used averages (gasp!). However, I looked up every teams individual appearance in the NCAA Tournament. Regardless of how far each team went within the tournament, the team received 1 point.

So, over the last 20 years I show the following appearances and the so aptly named MSFU's (MN_Sioux_Fan Units):

AHA - 18 appearances, 22 MSFU's - 1.222 pts per appearance
            B1G - 63 appearances, 137 MSFU's - 2.174 pts per appearance
            ECAC - 48 appearances, 80 MSFU's - 1.666 pts per appearance
            HE - 79 appearances, 192 MSFU's - 2.430 pts per appearance
            NCHC - 76 appearances, 157 MSFU's - 2.065 pts per appearance
            WCHA - 19 appearances, 30 MSFU's - 1.578 pts per appearance

Going to break down some more of these numbers further...but a little different perspective on the leagues. Speed is getting closer but not quite there

Comment

Msfu2!

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Kills View Post
                On the contrary, I hate the Bison. I'm so glad the Nickel Trophy is staying in GF permanently, where it belongs.
                The goofs had a fan account like yours, his handle was JDUBBS and I think that is how I'll refer to you from now on.
                "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
                  The goofs had a fan account like yours, his handle was JDUBBS and I think that is how I'll refer to you from now on.
                  Careful... typing his name on the interwebs harkens him to come back...
                  tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                    Careful... typing his name on the interwebs harkens him to come back...
                    Betelgeuse!
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

'Bout time for a bump I think...

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                        Sounds like a good time for an update NCHC is 12-1-1 against Big 10.

Comment

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
                          I have to go to that
                          Sh!+ hole next weekend for the state football championship.
                          Go jump in the infamous wood chipper. I will turn it on for you.
                          Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                            Now now now, what about all those titles they won when they were the only teams offering scholarships or different leagues? Or the record on the ice this year? Or last year?

Plus living in Fargo really does invalidate your opinion.
                            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Sioux-perDrunk View Post
                              Sounds like a good time for an update NCHC is 12-1-1 against Big 10.
                              I believe it's 14-1-1
                              Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by icehawk View Post
                                Go jump in the infamous wood chipper. I will turn it on for you.
                                They have an infamous wood chipper? smh.
                                "My greatest achievement."
                                Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Working...
                                X