This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big Ten > NCHC

Big arenas that are half full make for a meh atmosphere. I go to 15-20 Gopher games a year and the loudness of the away games makes the home ones depressing lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
      Big arenas that are half full make for a meh atmosphere. I go to 15-20 Gopher games a year and the loudness of the away games makes the home ones depressing lately.
      Agreed. Have been to many smaller arenas (and those with less rules than the Mecca) and it's depressing.

More corpie money = less rowdy fandom. Some of the blowhards from tUMD are now realizing this.......
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Depressing was a bit much. Disappointing instead.

Comment

Depressing was a bit much. Disappointing instead.
          Depressing. When I see what the smaller schools can do with the crowds.....and we're MN Goddammit.....it's depressing.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            The attendance argument makes me laugh. Total attendance is a joke. Percentage Of Arena Filled (or whatever it's called) is the true stat to follow.
            Where does one look for the stats on "Percentage Of Arena Filled"? I don't know if any school reports on that...

And from the standpoint of each program, in terms of revenue, what would you rather have:
            (a) An arena capacity of 3,000 (like Clarkson and St. Lawrence, for example) that's 73% full (average), or
            (b) An arena capacity of 10,000 (like Minnesota) that's 98% full?

http://www.uscho.com/stats/attendanc...men/2015-2016/
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              Where does one look for the stats on "Percentage Of Arena Filled"? I don't know if any school reports on that...

And from the standpoint of each program, in terms of revenue, what would you rather have:
              (a) An arena capacity of 3,000 (like Clarkson and St. Lawrence, for example) that's 73% full (average), or
              (b) An arena capacity of 10,000 (like Minnesota) that's 98% full?

http://www.uscho.com/stats/attendanc...men/2015-2016/
              98% full, which is my point.

I'd rather have a 4K arena filled to capacity than a 17K arena (WI, cough cough) at 50% capacity.

Comment

The Gopher hockey program is competing against UND and uw, not Clarkson.

Losing one thousand STH in one offseason is not good. It's much harder to gain a STH back than to retain one.

STHers not showing up for games means lower concession revenue. All three big programs at the U are in a rough spot right now.

Comment

The Gopher hockey program is competing against UND and uw, not Clarkson.

Losing one thousand STH in one offseason is not good. It's much harder to gain a STH back than to retain one.

STHers not showing up for games means lower concession revenue. All three big programs at the U are in a rough spot right now.
                  MN has priced out the common fan. It's sad.

For the UND games, I could fly out to CO or some other mid-level game, watch the Gophers series, and still come out about the same (maybe a TOUCH more) than watching UND-MN at the Mooch.

In the past, CC charged $17/game for MN games.
                  MTU charged $15. $30 for a suite. MN games.

That doesn't even get you in the door (face value) for a home MN game.

Comment

MN has priced out the common fan. It's sad.

For the UND games, I could fly out to CO or some other mid-level game, watch the Gophers series, and still come out about the same (maybe a TOUCH more) than watching UND-MN at the Mooch.

In the past, CC charged $17/game for MN games.
                    MTU charged $15. $30 for a suite. MN games.

That doesn't even get you in the door (face value) for a home MN game.
                    I know the UND price stings. But those games are complete sell outs at those prices. They clearly set the prices very close to market demand. How many will be Whioux fans? We'll see.

My bigger concern is the large amount of single game tickets available for every other home game. That was not the case a few years ago.

Comment

I know the UND price stings. But those games are complete sell outs at those prices. They clearly set the prices very close to market demand. How many will be Whioux fans? We'll see.

My bigger concern is the large amount of single game tickets available for every other home game. That was not the case a few years ago.
                      Again, I refer to pricing. Last game I went to was a BSU game, and SRO was $35. Add parking, ANY sort of food (and now that Big Ten and Campus Pizza are closed, ugh), etc...no thank you.

Comment

98% full, which is my point.

I'd rather have a 4K arena filled to capacity than a 17K arena (WI, cough cough) at 50% capacity.
                        Again I was speaking from the standpoint of the school's revenues, not an idealistic atmosphere. No matter what the sport if you're in the stands and the stands are full and your team's winning, then sure it's a more fun game to attend. And that promotes more ticket demand and full houses for the next game...

But honestly look at the capacity and actual reported attendance for other college hockey programs around the country. For the most part, they're abysmal, even as a percentage of total capacity in small rinks, especially out East. We complain about falling attendance and the atmosphere at Mariucci, but compared to other programs, it's still beyond being pretty good.
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Again I was speaking from the standpoint of the school's revenues, not an idealistic atmosphere. No matter what the sport if you're in the stands and the stands are full and your team's winning, then sure it's a more fun game to attend. And that promotes more ticket demand and full houses for the next game...

But honestly look at the capacity and actual reported attendance for other college hockey programs around the country. For the most part, they're abysmal, even as a percentage of total capacity in small rinks, especially out East. We complain about falling attendance and the atmosphere at Mariucci, but compared to other programs, it's still beyond being pretty good.
                          It's good, yes, but compared to years past.....it's horrendous. Remember the waiting line for STH? That's gone. STH has dropped tremendously. Yes, a big part is the lack of winning. The other part is the price and "donation" costs. It's insane.

Comment

I haven't seen the most recent revenue numbers but I think it may be falling. That is a red flag, even if revenue is still among the highest in the nation. Businesses need to grow.

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                              In the year or two before the big ten formed we were led to believe...
                              If you were led that way that falls on you. I don't remember more than one or two dummies touting the formation of the conference.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                                If you were led that way that falls on you. I don't remember more than one or two dummies touting the formation of the conference.
                                So if Willy said a "couple blowhards" vs a "few blowhards" you would've been ok with his post?

Comment

Working...
                                X