X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big Ten > NCHC

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    Where does one look for the stats on "Percentage Of Arena Filled"? I don't know if any school reports on that...

And from the standpoint of each program, in terms of revenue, what would you rather have:
    (a) An arena capacity of 3,000 (like Clarkson and St. Lawrence, for example) that's 73% full (average), or
    (b) An arena capacity of 10,000 (like Minnesota) that's 98% full?

http://www.uscho.com/stats/attendanc...men/2015-2016/
    They don't publish them, not in the strictest sense, but they do track them in a DB. Eric Vegoe wrote an article for GPL last year (maybe two years ago now) and was able to get the figures from the athletics department. They also know which fans aren't using their tickets ever since they started scanning barcodes.

You likely need to prove you're with the press, or file a Freedom of Information Act request to get the aggregated data for each game, but it's technically available for the asking since the U is a public entity. What would be interesting is if they gave breakdowns of season-tickets sold, and how many are redeemed for each game, and then single-game ticket information too. Then, if someone was tracking the information, cross reference that with single-game ticket prices, see if it's possible to capture the revenue maximizing games for the U.

Concessions information would be tougher to retrieve as most of those are ran by private entities. If the U gets a cut of those as a percentage, then they'd likely only provide that information aggregated. There's also a (small - tiny, more likely) chance that the vendors only pay a single fee for access to the arena and then no cash goes to the U after that. Still, even in that revenue design, vendor fees would have to decrease from season to season when Mariucci falls so very short of capacity.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

UND is 40-49 a game???? What the heck. I guess that's life in North Dakota.

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxFanatic View Post
        So if Willy said a "couple blowhards" vs a "few blowhards" you would've been ok with his post?
        Yep...

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          If you were led that way that falls on you. I don't remember more than one or two dummies touting the formation of the conference.
          Yes, I was led to believe the UND program was going to be in trouble... I sold all my Sioux gear and swore allegiance to my new big10 overlords. Talk about a knee-jerk reaction...

Comment

Nowhere close to 50%. Last time I looked, the Gophers still have the second highest attendance in all of college hockey, when measured in number of tickets sold. And I would guess there are more than 50 other D1 programs that would love to average the attendance at Mariucci in terms of actual numbers of butts in the seats.

As soon as the Gophers put together a couple of strong seasons, not only in the league but against their traditional rivals, the bandwagon will start to fill up, along with the seats.
            Did you watch the game last Friday at Mariucci? The number of butts in seats was not high. It was pathetic.
            Originally posted by SJHovey
            Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
            Originally posted by Brenthoven
            We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
              Did you watch the game last Friday at Mariucci? The number of butts in seats was not high. It was pathetic.
              I was there. Late arriving crowd due to the parade and the closing of University Avenue which caused a huge traffic jam. The number of "butts in the seats" peaked in the 2nd period after the Gophers had built a two goal lead. In the 3rd the crowd was noticeably down due in part, I suspect, the late 8:05 start and homecoming partying.

I doubt you will see very many empty seats next weekend!
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I was there. Late arriving crowd due to the parade and the closing of University Avenue which caused a huge traffic jam. The number of "butts in the seats" peaked in the 2nd period after the Gophers had built a two goal lead. In the 3rd the crowd was noticeably down due in part, I suspect, the late 8:05 start and homecoming partying.

I doubt you will see very many empty seats next weekend!
                Those formerly empty seats will all be filled with green and black, acting both hostile and abusive.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxFanatic View Post
                  So if Willy said a "couple blowhards" vs a "few blowhards" you would've been ok with his post?
                  I was more focused on the fact it only took, "a few" dummies to lead him toward a terrible conclusion. Hope he never runs into a cult member looking for new members.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    Those formerly empty seats will all be filled with green and black, acting both hostile and abusive.
                    Will it be worse if they win or if they lose?

Comment

Will it be worse if they win or if they lose?
                      They'll be equally vile, only in different ways. Just be on your toes because the handshake is the real nasty stuff happens.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        They'll be equally vile, only in different ways. Just be on your toes because the handshake is the real nasty stuff happens.
                        You mean like this?
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLlgW7jQnXo

Comment

I was thinking of when Finley went after Wheeler.

https://youtu.be/qQaZ3RTCAO8

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                            In the year or two before the big ten formed we were led to believe by a few blow-hards that the big would dominate the sport. That the teams in other conferences would suffer hardships. It would seem the exact opposite has happened.
                            Indeed once the university of Minnesota decided to start charging $10,000 per license seat things went down hill fast.
                            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                              There goes playoff hopes for United...sigh
                              Painful. They don't give a **** about the team but boy do they care about themselves before MLS starts next spring.
                              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Boy it's been a long start to the summer... bump.

Comment

Working...
                                X