This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big Ten > NCHC

I'm not quite sure why you guys keep trying to argue with JDUBBS. Just let him have his alone time with his The "Men" of Gopher Hockey Calendar and we could have avoided the last 15 pages of nonsense.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
      I'm not quite sure why you guys keep trying to argue with JDUBBS. Just let him have his alone time with his The "Men" of Gopher Hockey Calendar and we could have avoided the last 15 pages of nonsense.
      I'm not Jdubbs.

Comment

Originally posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
        I'm not Jdubbs.
        Regardless of whether you are, in fact, JDUBBS, your posts/arguments/logic/persistence to fellate all things Gopher/etc. are indistinguishable from JDUBBS. Ergo, you are JDUBBS.
        North Dakota

Comment

• Originally posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
          I don't "need" them to be, otherwise I wouldn't be such a big Gopher football fan, too. Gopher football hasn't been the end all and be all for a very long time, since before I was born.

But when it comes to hockey, they simply always have been the end all and be all, depending on your point of view, and in my US hockey centric view, they are. Oh, they could have 2 or 3 more Natl titles, but otherwise,

#1 in # of players sent to compete in the Olympics, by a 2 to 1 margin over Wisconsin for example (73 to 34)
          #1 in # of players who have won Olympic medals, by an almost 3 to 1 margin over UND for example (33 to 12)
          #1 in # of players who have won Olympic Gold Medals, by over a 3 to 1 margin over MSU for example (13 to 4)
          #1 in # of players sent to the NHL (115 total)
          #1 in # of players sent to the US Hockey Hall of Fame.
          #1 in # of players sent to the Hockey Hall of Fame.
          #1 in # of NCAA Tourney appearances
          #1 in # of NCAA Tourney wins.

They won the very first intercollegiate hockey game ever played. A Gopher won the first ever Hobey Baker Award and a Gopher was a finalist for having the trophy named for him, and at least a couple of years ago, had the most former players who had won the Hobey Baker Award. UMn was the first team ever invited to represent the US in the Olympics in Men's Hockey. Can't remember why they didn't or couldn't go, but they turned down the invite so no team got sent.

No school was more of a contributor to the greatest sports upset of the 20th Century, the Miracle on Ice, than the Gophers. And this was all because of the efforts of the Hall of Famer John Mariucci, insisting on recruiting only Minnesotans/Americans, when everyone else was selling out and bringing in mostly bigger and older Canadians. So yes Michigan and Denver and UND have more Titles, because they did sell out and go after those Canadians. UND can almost be forgiven seeing as they are located so close to Canada. His doing this forced the issue, and helped hockey grow in Minnesota, and MADE programs like UMD and SCSU and BSU into Div 1 programs, because without his efforts to grow the sport at home in Minnesota, hockey would be far more of a niche sport than it is now and it would be even more ignored by the vast majority of people out there than it already is and programs like SCSU and UMD and BSU would not have been able to move up to Div 1.

It was the genius of a former Golden Gopher, one of Mariucci's players, that led to the belief that American college players could compete in the NHL, and it was a former Gopher Neal Broten who became the first American to score 100 pts in a season that showed everyone that a young college kid could succeed in the NHL. And another former Gopher, Bob Johnson who was the first American to coach an NHL team to a Stanley Cup Title. If you don't see the significance of these things, that's too bad for you, because The US Hockey Hall of Fame DID already recognize the significance of these things as did the regular Hockey Hall of Fame, and why John Mariucci, a guy with ZERO Natl Titles and ZERO Gold Medals to his name as a coach, got inducted into that venerated place along with both his former players Brooks and Johnson.

And I haven't even started up talking about the Gopher Women's Hockey program.

But I'd root for the Gophers even if they sucked all throughout history, like their Tennis teams have and like their women's soccer team did, until just recently. I don't root for the Gophers because they were good. My father did that back in 1940 & 1941. I root for the Gophers simply because I was raised up to. And when I became an adult I chose to continue to do so even though I went to school elsewhere. It is the flagship University of my home state and AFTER choosing to continue following them, I've learned that I made a great choice!!!

But I don't "need" them to be good or bad.

SCSU could replace my Gophers as the #1 college hockey team in Minnesota and the nation for the rest of time, and I'd be happy for SCSU, and I'd be happy not to call them JBSU anymore and I'd still root for my Gophers!!!
          No.
          One.
          Cares.
          JDubbs
          "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
          -Gallagher

R.I.P.
          Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
          Grandma ~ Jan 2004
          Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
          Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Good golly write a book. Oh hell you already have. Yawn
            Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Regardless of whether you are, in fact, JDUBBS, your posts/arguments/logic/persistence to fellate all things Gopher/etc. are indistinguishable from JDUBBS. Ergo, you are JDUBBS.
              That sounds a little simple minded, don't you think?

Comment

They won the very first intercollegiate hockey game ever played.
                Wasn’t the first intercollegiate game between Hopkins and Yale? Like 1896? Gophers didn’t start playing until the 20s?

r

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                  No.
                  One.
                  Cares.
                  JDubbs
                  Of course you don't, you are a JBSU fan, you have no history. Well, I shouldn't say that, you have a history, its just not a very impressive one.

But hey, that might change this season, eh? A #1 ranking is a good start, but it means absolutely nothing if you don't follow it up in the NCAA tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
                    Wasn’t the first intercollegiate game between Hopkins and Yale? Like 1896? Gophers didn’t start playing until the 20s?

r
                    How dare you question JDUBBS! Plus, who cares about Hopkins and Yale? The Gophers have been playing with themselves for centuries!!
                    North Dakota

Comment

Of course you don't, you are a JBSU fan, you have no history. Well, I shouldn't say that, you have a history, its just not a very impressive one.

But hey, that might change this season, eh? A #1 ranking is a good start, but it means absolutely nothing if you don't follow it up in the NCAA tourney.
                      Yawn.
                      Try Harder moron
                      "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                      -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                      Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                      Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                      Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                      Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post

r
                        Well, not according to Ross Bernstein. But I have that book packed away right now. So I checked Wikipedia and it says UMn played its first hockey game in 1895. So that would predate the Hopkins Yale game.

Comment

How dare you question JDUBBS! Plus, who cares about Hopkins and Yale? The Gophers have been playing with themselves for centuries!!
                          I'm not Jdubbs. Not sure if he claimed to never make mistakes, but I don't make that claim. I don't do it often, but it has happened. And its always good to question a person's sources when there is doubts about the veracity of the information he/she posts.

Comment

Originally posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
                            Well, not according to Ross Bernstein. But I have that book packed away right now. So I checked Wikipedia and it says UMn played its first hockey game in 1895. So that would predate the Hopkins Yale game.
                            Sorry JDUBBS, according to the AHCA (a far more reputable source than Wikipedia and Ross Bernstein), the first game was Hopkins-Yale.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/199...key-goods-yale
                            North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                              Yawn.
                              Try Harder moron
                              I don't need to, it's just that easy. But since you are begging, how about a .278 NCAA winning percentage??? lol That's pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by fredsdeadfriend View Post
                                i don't need to, it's just that easy. But since you are begging, how about a .278 ncaa winning percentage??? Lol that's pathetic.
                                jdubbs burn!!!!!!
                                North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                                X