Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 560 of 1002

Thread: Big Ten > NCHC

  1. #541
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    711

    Re: Big Ten > NCHC

    Quote Originally Posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    I'm not quite sure why you guys keep trying to argue with JDUBBS. Just let him have his alone time with his The "Men" of Gopher Hockey Calendar and we could have avoided the last 15 pages of nonsense.
    I'm not Jdubbs.

  2. #542

    Re: Big Ten > NCHC

    Quote Originally Posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
    I'm not Jdubbs.
    Regardless of whether you are, in fact, JDUBBS, your posts/arguments/logic/persistence to fellate all things Gopher/etc. are indistinguishable from JDUBBS. Ergo, you are JDUBBS.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

  3. #543
    Kings affiliate
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    St. Cloud, MN
    Posts
    11,343
    Quote Originally Posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
    I don't "need" them to be, otherwise I wouldn't be such a big Gopher football fan, too. Gopher football hasn't been the end all and be all for a very long time, since before I was born.

    But when it comes to hockey, they simply always have been the end all and be all, depending on your point of view, and in my US hockey centric view, they are. Oh, they could have 2 or 3 more Natl titles, but otherwise,

    #1 in # of players sent to compete in the Olympics, by a 2 to 1 margin over Wisconsin for example (73 to 34)
    #1 in # of players who have won Olympic medals, by an almost 3 to 1 margin over UND for example (33 to 12)
    #1 in # of players who have won Olympic Gold Medals, by over a 3 to 1 margin over MSU for example (13 to 4)
    #1 in # of players sent to the NHL (115 total)
    #1 in # of players sent to the US Hockey Hall of Fame.
    #1 in # of players sent to the Hockey Hall of Fame.
    #1 in # of NCAA Tourney appearances
    #1 in # of NCAA Tourney wins.

    They won the very first intercollegiate hockey game ever played. A Gopher won the first ever Hobey Baker Award and a Gopher was a finalist for having the trophy named for him, and at least a couple of years ago, had the most former players who had won the Hobey Baker Award. UMn was the first team ever invited to represent the US in the Olympics in Men's Hockey. Can't remember why they didn't or couldn't go, but they turned down the invite so no team got sent.

    No school was more of a contributor to the greatest sports upset of the 20th Century, the Miracle on Ice, than the Gophers. And this was all because of the efforts of the Hall of Famer John Mariucci, insisting on recruiting only Minnesotans/Americans, when everyone else was selling out and bringing in mostly bigger and older Canadians. So yes Michigan and Denver and UND have more Titles, because they did sell out and go after those Canadians. UND can almost be forgiven seeing as they are located so close to Canada. His doing this forced the issue, and helped hockey grow in Minnesota, and MADE programs like UMD and SCSU and BSU into Div 1 programs, because without his efforts to grow the sport at home in Minnesota, hockey would be far more of a niche sport than it is now and it would be even more ignored by the vast majority of people out there than it already is and programs like SCSU and UMD and BSU would not have been able to move up to Div 1.

    It was the genius of a former Golden Gopher, one of Mariucci's players, that led to the belief that American college players could compete in the NHL, and it was a former Gopher Neal Broten who became the first American to score 100 pts in a season that showed everyone that a young college kid could succeed in the NHL. And another former Gopher, Bob Johnson who was the first American to coach an NHL team to a Stanley Cup Title. If you don't see the significance of these things, that's too bad for you, because The US Hockey Hall of Fame DID already recognize the significance of these things as did the regular Hockey Hall of Fame, and why John Mariucci, a guy with ZERO Natl Titles and ZERO Gold Medals to his name as a coach, got inducted into that venerated place along with both his former players Brooks and Johnson.

    And I haven't even started up talking about the Gopher Women's Hockey program.


    But I'd root for the Gophers even if they sucked all throughout history, like their Tennis teams have and like their women's soccer team did, until just recently. I don't root for the Gophers because they were good. My father did that back in 1940 & 1941. I root for the Gophers simply because I was raised up to. And when I became an adult I chose to continue to do so even though I went to school elsewhere. It is the flagship University of my home state and AFTER choosing to continue following them, I've learned that I made a great choice!!!


    But I don't "need" them to be good or bad.


    SCSU could replace my Gophers as the #1 college hockey team in Minnesota and the nation for the rest of time, and I'd be happy for SCSU, and I'd be happy not to call them JBSU anymore and I'd still root for my Gophers!!!
    No.
    One.
    Cares.
    JDubbs

  4. #544
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hockeytown,USA
    Posts
    3,510

    Re: Big Ten > NCHC

    Good golly write a book. Oh hell you already have. Yawn

  5. #545
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    711

    Re: Big Ten > NCHC

    Quote Originally Posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    Regardless of whether you are, in fact, JDUBBS, your posts/arguments/logic/persistence to fellate all things Gopher/etc. are indistinguishable from JDUBBS. Ergo, you are JDUBBS.
    That sounds a little simple minded, don't you think?

  6. #546
    cetihcra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Denver, Colorado -- VT awhile back
    Posts
    2,485
    Quote Originally Posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
    They won the very first intercollegiate hockey game ever played.
    Wasnít the first intercollegiate game between Hopkins and Yale? Like 1896? Gophers didnít start playing until the 20s?

    r

  7. #547
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    711

    Re: Big Ten > NCHC

    Quote Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
    No.
    One.
    Cares.
    JDubbs
    Of course you don't, you are a JBSU fan, you have no history. Well, I shouldn't say that, you have a history, its just not a very impressive one.

    But hey, that might change this season, eh? A #1 ranking is a good start, but it means absolutely nothing if you don't follow it up in the NCAA tourney.

  8. #548

    Re: Big Ten > NCHC

    Quote Originally Posted by cetihcra View Post
    Wasnít the first intercollegiate game between Hopkins and Yale? Like 1896? Gophers didnít start playing until the 20s?

    r
    How dare you question JDUBBS! Plus, who cares about Hopkins and Yale? The Gophers have been playing with themselves for centuries!!
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

  9. #549
    Kings affiliate
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    St. Cloud, MN
    Posts
    11,343
    Quote Originally Posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
    Of course you don't, you are a JBSU fan, you have no history. Well, I shouldn't say that, you have a history, its just not a very impressive one.

    But hey, that might change this season, eh? A #1 ranking is a good start, but it means absolutely nothing if you don't follow it up in the NCAA tourney.
    Yawn.
    Try Harder moron

  10. #550
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    711

    Re: Big Ten > NCHC

    Quote Originally Posted by cetihcra View Post
    Wasnít the first intercollegiate game between Hopkins and Yale? Like 1896? Gophers didnít start playing until the 20s?

    r
    Well, not according to Ross Bernstein. But I have that book packed away right now. So I checked Wikipedia and it says UMn played its first hockey game in 1895. So that would predate the Hopkins Yale game.

  11. #551
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    711

    Re: Big Ten > NCHC

    Quote Originally Posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    How dare you question JDUBBS! Plus, who cares about Hopkins and Yale? The Gophers have been playing with themselves for centuries!!
    I'm not Jdubbs. Not sure if he claimed to never make mistakes, but I don't make that claim. I don't do it often, but it has happened. And its always good to question a person's sources when there is doubts about the veracity of the information he/she posts.

  12. #552

    Re: Big Ten > NCHC

    Quote Originally Posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
    Well, not according to Ross Bernstein. But I have that book packed away right now. So I checked Wikipedia and it says UMn played its first hockey game in 1895. So that would predate the Hopkins Yale game.
    Sorry JDUBBS, according to the AHCA (a far more reputable source than Wikipedia and Ross Bernstein), the first game was Hopkins-Yale.

    http://articles.baltimoresun.com/199...key-goods-yale
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

  13. #553
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    711

    Re: Big Ten > NCHC

    Quote Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
    Yawn.
    Try Harder moron
    I don't need to, it's just that easy. But since you are begging, how about a .278 NCAA winning percentage??? lol That's pathetic.

  14. #554

    Re: Big Ten > NCHC

    Quote Originally Posted by fredsdeadfriend View Post
    i don't need to, it's just that easy. But since you are begging, how about a .278 ncaa winning percentage??? Lol that's pathetic.
    jdubbs burn!!!!!!
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

  15. #555
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    711

    Re: Big Ten > NCHC

    Quote Originally Posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    Sorry JDUBBS, according to the AHCA (a far more reputable source than Wikipedia and Ross Bernstein), the first game was Hopkins-Yale.

    http://articles.baltimoresun.com/199...key-goods-yale

    Well, the game I was referring to, did happen in 1895. But since UMn didn't play a "collegiate" opponent, it technically wasn't an "intercollegiate" game, I guess? So the Hopkins vs Yale game in 1896 was the first game played where both opponents were college teams? I'm guessing that is why the ACHA claims the later game to be the first "intercollegiate" game.

    And Wikipedia didn't say it was the first intercollegiate game, just that it was the first game played by the University of Minnesota, and that it was in 1895.

  16. #556
    Kings affiliate
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    St. Cloud, MN
    Posts
    11,343
    Quote Originally Posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
    I don't need to, it's just that easy. But since you are begging, how about a .278 NCAA winning percentage??? lol That's pathetic.
    No one cares.

  17. #557
    Kings affiliate
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    St. Cloud, MN
    Posts
    11,343
    Quote Originally Posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
    I don't need to, it's just that easy. But since you are begging, how about a .278 NCAA winning percentage??? lol That's pathetic.
    Just to humor you....Dahl sucked...no one denies that.
    Motzko is 5-7.
    Lucia since Motzko left...5-8.
    Last edited by First Time, Long Time; 01-05-2018 at 11:42 PM.

  18. #558
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    711

    Re: Big Ten > NCHC

    Quote Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
    No one cares.
    That's because its St Cloud Teachers College we are talking about. Why would anyone care?

  19. #559
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    114,863

    Re: Big Ten > NCHC

    I never thought this thread could get worse. Then I remembered some past characters that posted here. I stand corrected.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  20. #560
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    711

    Re: Big Ten > NCHC

    Quote Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
    Just to humor you....Dahl sucked...no one denies that.
    Motzko is 5-7.
    Lucia since Motzko left...5-8.
    Seems Motzko is an upgrade. This season will be a good test of just how much of an upgrade.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •