This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big Ten > NCHC

The B1G gave us "TheRight Stuff", Grissom attended Purdue, Cooper went to Maryland, Glenn got pre-flight training at Iowa, and Slayton went to Minnesota. That is 4 of the original 7 Mercury Astronauts.

Comment

Originally posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
      The B1G gave us "TheRight Stuff", Grissom attended Purdue, Cooper went to Maryland, Glenn got pre-flight training at Iowa, and Slayton went to Minnesota. That is 4 of the original 7 Mercury Astronauts.
      The right stuff? Wasn't that some boy band song from the 90s? You're hurting your own argument with that one Fred.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        That does, again, raise the question. If the B1G is so important, so large, so omni-present, if it is literally solving all of the world's ills as we speak, and influences the lives of each and every one of us on a daily basis as you claim, how do they manage to put such a terrible product on the ice for the last 4 seasons? Do they not care, because if so, then what does that say about the rest of their work? Is it representative of the quality of their work as a whole, because if so, then they'll probably speed up the process of burning up the planet rather than slow global warming.

I've got to tell you, as someone who has watched some B1G output on the ice these past four years, you guys are not giving me a lot of confidence that you should be put in charge of anything.
        Maybe you should watch some NHL hockey if you want to see what the B1G produces in regards to hockey.

The B1G gave us "The Miracle on Ice". You do remember that, right? The Greatest Sports Upset of the 20th Century, the event that gave the entire country back its confidence, that some believe turned things around in regards to the cold war?

11 of the 20 members of the team were current or former B1G players, and basically the entire coaching staff.

Comment

This guy is somehow EVEN WORSE than JDubbs.
          Originally posted by SJHovey
          Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
          Originally posted by Brenthoven
          We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
            This guy is somehow EVEN WORSE than JDubbs.
            But he's kept you here.

Comment

If you don't recognize the names Grissom, Glenn, Cooper and Slayton or the term Mercury Astronauts, then that doesn't say much about your grasp of history.

The fact that you instead reference some boy band could tell us more about you than any of us would be comfortable knowing.

But if you want to talk about Music, the B1G produced YANNI and Zonday(chocolate rain)

Comment

Originally posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
                If you don't recognize the names Grissom, Glenn, Cooper and Slayton or the term Mercury Astronauts, then that doesn't say much about your grasp of history.

The fact that you instead reference some boy band could tell us more about you than any of us would be comfortable knowing.

But if you want to talk about Music, the B1G produced YANNI and Zonday(chocolate rain)
                Okay, this should be good. What pray tell does that tell you about me besides the fact I was alive and had knowledge of pop culture that was non stop on the radio in the 90s?

Probably not a great idea to turn on the people who are NOT trying to rip you apart in this thread, but what do I know?

Comment

only 35 posts left to thread lock. ok now 34...
                  gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                    only 35 posts left to thread lock. ok now 34...
                    I bet it goes over just to extend the fun. It rarely seems to lock right at 1000.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                      Okay, this should be good. What pray tell does that tell you about me besides the fact I was alive and had knowledge of pop culture that was non stop on the radio in the 90s?

Probably not a great idea to turn on the people who are NOT trying to rip you apart in this thread, but what do I know?
                      You are right Tiggsy, when I read your post, I assumed it was a post from Tipsy. And when I typed in "The Right Stuff" into the wiki search engine, that pop band came up, lol.

And I suppose some of you younger guys might not have been taught about things like the Mercury Astronauts, or even seen the movie "The Right Stuff" that was about how they got recruited, and chosen and their training, etc., leading up to their going up into space and helping America get ahead in the space race.

I don't know about the other B1G Universities specifically, except that Purdue has been dubbed "Astronaut U", which I would assume means they supply the country with ALOT of astronauts. As for UMn, they've supplied NASA with some of its most prominent Astronauts/leaders. And a UMn guy is the only person in the world to have had a hand on/in creating/producing/inventing equipment that has been to every planet in our solar system.

Comment

Yanni guys, come on, how can you beat Yanni???

Oh, and the musical half of Starsky & Hutch, too. #1 in April 1977, "Don't give up on us"? Way to go Hutch.

And no, Starsky wasn't a Nacho guy, he went to BU.

And if a new version of The Grinch Who stole Christmas ever comes out, they will surely look to a B1G guy, Zonday to sing the theme song. lol
                        Last edited by FredsDeadFriend; 01-16-2018, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                          Global warming is a myth.
                          But if B1G caused it, that must mean the B1G is also a myth.
                          If the B1G is also a myth, that means NaCHo never formed and we're all still back in the good old WCHA days.

Ahh... the nightmare is finally over!
                          It's another Minnesota Miracle.
                          Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
                            “Attended”? “Pre-flight”? But not “graduated”? More early departures, I guess. Maybe that explains why the Big hasn’t put a man on the moon in over 40 years.
                            But I bet those guys were hellish hockey players.

Comment

But if Yanni, Zonday or Hutch(David Soul) are not the kinds of music you like, maybe Babes in Toyland will do it for you? The Drummer was a UMn gal.

Or Jazz pianist Larry Novak, who worked with some of your grandparents faves from Pearl Bailey and Count Basie, Peggy Lee and Frank Sinatra, just to name a few.

Or maybe Stephen Paulus, cofounder of the American Composers Forum is more your style?

If none of those do it for you, even if you don't like him, I'd think it would be impossible to diss the only musician EVER to be awarded a Nobel Prize in Literature, the legendary BOB DYLAN.

And those are all just Univ of Minnesota people.

Comment

The obsession is real folks
                                Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X