Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lfc 2015

Originally posted by uscho20 View Post
    I just looked at the boxscore from the weekend. A LOSS TO A 1-18-1 TEAM on Saturday night in Lake Forest. What is wrong with this team?
    The silence is deafening.......

If I were King of the Forest, Not queen, not duke, not prince.
    My regal robes of the forest, would be satin, not cotton, not chintz.
    I'd command each thing, be it fish or fowl.
    With a woof and a woof and a royal growl - woof.
    As I'd click my heel, all the trees would kneel.
    And the mountains bow and the bulls kowtow.
    And the sparrow would take wing - If I - If I - were King!
    Each rabbit would show respect to me.
    The chipmunks genuflect to me.
    Though my tail would lash, I would show compash
    For every underling!
    'f I - 'f I - were King!
    Just King!

Will the Lions win?
    IceChips

Comment

That's more like it! Even a hat trick + from a senior!
      IceChips

Comment

Well, that season was embarrassing.

Comment

HIT THE RESET BUTTON.

So how does this program get help? With PK leading what is the direction (he and his staff read this stuff) ?

They have to admit the current structure is not working and change is needed. They need commit to changing and that they really want to WIN.

Starting February 21st it’s about developing a long list of actions to be accomplished in the off-season! The culture reset, the systems revisited, practice structure changed, players honestly evaluated (are the players in the right roles and places to succeed?). The coaching staff must step up, WHY play hockey for LFC?

Leadership selection will be important, please not another grinder who gets the Peter Taylor award for showing up and school contributions. PK should know his locker room, no more popularity contests! The room has to be solidified.

After the new captains are selected talk with them and get them some help regarding things such as structuring captains practices and workouts [develop the LFC Hockey way]. Make some phone calls and do something like sending the captains to talk structure, leadership and practices with Jeff Jackson at Notre Dame, he would help! Captain’s practices are an important part of a team’s culture so each member of the team needs to understand the rules and respect the leaders.

Other things to consider better non-conference games, a serious/fun xmas tournament, guest instructors, an overhaul of recruiting including player evaluation, places to find talent and expanding the network for finding players? The black netting must go, a large proportion of parents watch games via the Internet. PK has a ton on his plate from internships to planning parent’s weekends … some of that has to go.

Conduct a serious what’s in what’s out session, can O’Malley and Martino do?
          What are road blocks? Administration, Talent, Facilities, Equipment, Player Commitment, Turnover, Location, Academics, Tuition… what is the plan to address each? What is the 1yr plan, 5yr plan?

To move this program forward will take A LOT of work.
          IceChips

Comment

Originally posted by icechips View Post
            HIT THE RESET BUTTON.

So how does this program get help? With PK leading what is the direction (he and his staff read this stuff) ?

They have to admit the current structure is not working and change is needed. They need commit to changing and that they really want to WIN.

Starting February 21st it’s about developing a long list of actions to be accomplished in the off-season! The culture reset, the systems revisited, practice structure changed, players honestly evaluated (are the players in the right roles and places to succeed?). The coaching staff must step up, WHY play hockey for LFC?

Leadership selection will be important, please not another grinder who gets the Peter Taylor award for showing up and school contributions. PK should know his locker room, no more popularity contests! The room has to be solidified.

After the new captains are selected talk with them and get them some help regarding things such as structuring captains practices and workouts [develop the LFC Hockey way]. Make some phone calls and do something like sending the captains to talk structure, leadership and practices with Jeff Jackson at Notre Dame, he would help! Captain’s practices are an important part of a team’s culture so each member of the team needs to understand the rules and respect the leaders.

Other things to consider better non-conference games, a serious/fun xmas tournament, guest instructors, an overhaul of recruiting including player evaluation, places to find talent and expanding the network for finding players? The black netting must go, a large proportion of parents watch games via the Internet. PK has a ton on his plate from internships to planning parent’s weekends … some of that has to go.

Conduct a serious what’s in what’s out session, can O’Malley and Martino do?
            What are road blocks? Administration, Talent, Facilities, Equipment, Player Commitment, Turnover, Location, Academics, Tuition… what is the plan to address each? What is the 1yr plan, 5yr plan?

To move this program forward will take A LOT of work.
            When did you play there?

It may be time to come to grip with the fact that winning is more important to you personally than it is to those associated with the program right now. Also maybe glance over the mission statement for NCAA D3 athletics. Schools committed to having winning D3 hockey programs are the exception rather than the norm.

Better non conference schedule? NCHA schools only have space for 5 NC games. 4 of those for LFC were UWEC, River Falls, and two against Point. That's solid...

I don't mean to be a dick. I just find it hard to believe that your ongoing negativity on some obscure Internet forum would ever lead to any positive changes.
            Last edited by altazo; 02-23-2016, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post

It may be time to come to grip with the fact that winning is more important to you personally than it is to those associated with the program right now.

I just find it hard to believe that your ongoing negativity on some obscure Internet forum would ever lead to any positive changes.
              Dissect your own sentence "winning does not seem to be important with those associated with the program RIGHT NOW." So your stance "we just play hockey as an activity we don't actually try and win anything". Is that ok with you? I believe the program could be much much much better from many perspectives, is winning everything NO. Going through motions should not be acceptable. Want the players and students to get something out of having a varsity hockey program... compete with the other teams in our league, if you just did that you would be in the national hunt.

If you don't believe that anybody reads this forum your nuts.... this little rant has a few people reading it.... evidence... the number of views. Will it precipitate change, probably NO but it will show some discontent with the SNAFU that is currently LFC hockey.
              IceChips

Comment

Recruiting the last four years

2015-16
                EHL – 1
                MnJHL – 2
                NAHL – 2
                NOJHL – 1
                OJHL – 3
                USHS – 2
                PREP – 1
                USPHL – 2
                WSHL – 1
                TOTAL – 15
                Graduated from previous season - 9
                Players that did not play the following year with eligibility remaining - 3

2014-15
                BCHL – 2
                EHL – 1
                GOJHL – 1
                Midgets – 1
                NAHL – 1
                OJHL – 1
                USPHL – 2
                TOTAL – 9
                Graduated from previous season – 3
                Players that did not play the following year with eligibility remaining – 5

2013-14
                CCHL – 2
                EJHL – 1
                NAHL – 2
                OJHL – 2
                PREP – 1
                TOTAL – 8
                Graduated from previous season – 4
                Players that did not play the following year with eligibility remaining – 6

2012-13
                CCHL – 2
                NAHL – 5
                OJHL – 2
                PREP – 1
                TOTAL – 10
                Graduated from previous season – 2
                Players that did not play the following year with eligibility remaining – 11

It seems that the problem is associated with the AD and ability to recruit. Adrian, St. Norbert, and St. Scholastica all recruit from the BCHL, CCHL, OJHL, and NAHL. LFC is getting too many players from Tier 3 and out East. The AD doesn't realize hockey is a unique sport with pockets of players in these Tier 2 leagues, and you can't just recruit a player by going to the local high school basketball game. Does the coaching staff have their hands tied by the AD limiting them to sending out cold calls to these Tier 3 East coast players? Do these players even visit before they commit to come to LFC anymore?

Also the retention rate of players is horrible. It feels like they just try to bring in as many Tier 3 East coast players hoping one will stick while the others quit. The AD is not doing her job by allowing this recruiting tactic.

Comment

It seems that the problem is associated with the AD and ability to recruit. Adrian, St. Norbert, and St. Scholastica all recruit from the BCHL, CCHL, OJHL, and NAHL. LFC is getting too many players from Tier 3 and out East. The AD doesn't realize hockey is a unique sport with pockets of players in these Tier 2 leagues, and you can't just recruit a player by going to the local high school basketball game. Does the coaching staff have their hands tied by the AD limiting them to sending out cold calls to these Tier 3 East coast players? Do these players even visit before they commit to come to LFC anymore?

Also the retention rate of players is horrible. It feels like they just try to bring in as many Tier 3 East coast players hoping one will stick while the others quit. The AD is not doing her job by allowing this recruiting tactic.
                  I recognize your reservations about the AD and agree there is no creative thinking coming from the office regarding hockey. I believe the men’s hockey program does not fulfill these statements.

"LAKE FOREST COLLEGE: A Tradition of Excellence." This "excellence" is what the athletic department strives for in every aspect of our programming. All in all, we want every student involved with our program to feel they are part of a quality program, and that in some way, they add to our tradition of "excellence."

The burden to succeed falls to the coach and his staff that is why a better search should have been conducted, if they already had the right guy and he had a vision and plan, fine, promote him. The results say either time or another direction is needed. Only 1 "Well, that season was embarrassing." so no pressure to fix what is acceptable!!!

With that said how does the LFC coach succeed understanding the limitations they are up against?

Get creative!!!!!! Tap into networks of scouts, use the parents for support… have a plan and execute on it. What type of player fits at LFC and what is that profile… [Good student from lower end of USHL team, middle of the pack player from NAHL, BCHL, CCHL, OJHL, GOHL].

Talk to the High Performance Midget coaches (CYA, TI are local) give them the profile and have them recruit for you. Have a conversation with some D1 coaching staffs about kids that don’t fit their programs, give them your player profile and ask for help. Same with the Junior programs mentioned above.

It will take a ton of work and I believe the responsibility falls to the coaching staff. Don’t be happy to have the job and buckle to the AD’s wishes set your own course and move. Stop lying to the mirror that all is ok. Grow as a staff, find a way to get better.
                  IceChips

Comment

I recognize your reservations about the AD and agree there is no creative thinking coming from the office regarding hockey. I believe the men’s hockey program does not fulfill these statements.

"LAKE FOREST COLLEGE: A Tradition of Excellence." This "excellence" is what the athletic department strives for in every aspect of our programming. All in all, we want every student involved with our program to feel they are part of a quality program, and that in some way, they add to our tradition of "excellence."

The burden to succeed falls to the coach and his staff that is why a better search should have been conducted, if they already had the right guy and he had a vision and plan, fine, promote him. The results say either time or another direction is needed. Only 1 "Well, that season was embarrassing." so no pressure to fix what is acceptable!!!

With that said how does the LFC coach succeed understanding the limitations they are up against?

Get creative!!!!!! Tap into networks of scouts, use the parents for support… have a plan and execute on it. What type of player fits at LFC and what is that profile… [Good student from lower end of USHL team, middle of the pack player from NAHL, BCHL, CCHL, OJHL, GOHL].

Talk to the High Performance Midget coaches (CYA, TI are local) give them the profile and have them recruit for you. Have a conversation with some D1 coaching staffs about kids that don’t fit their programs, give them your player profile and ask for help. Same with the Junior programs mentioned above.

It will take a ton of work and I believe the responsibility falls to the coaching staff. Don’t be happy to have the job and buckle to the AD’s wishes set your own course and move. Stop lying to the mirror that all is ok. Grow as a staff, find a way to get better.

The program will never change as long as the current AD remains in power. It starts with the recruiting and ability of the coaches to recruit players they want, not the players the AD will allow. We talk about change but what needs to be changed?

- The recruiting as mentioned.

- The online video broadcasts. Teams like Adrian do a professional grade broadcast with multiple angles, pre- and postgame interviews, and have a quality announcer. Will the AD allow them to spend money to upgrade camera equipment? Multiple cameras? Replace the black netting? Hire an announcer? The video broadcasts allow parents and potential recruits to watch the game. JV high school basketball game broadcasts are run better then the current set-up. Why wouldn't you want to display the program in the best light possible?

- Do something big. The Blackhawks seem to play an outdoor game every year. Why can't LFC play in the same venue as the Blackhawks? I'm sure they could have played a Minnesota team this year, and hosted a team at Soldier Field when the Blackhawks played there. Create a buzz in the community. Do they even market the program to other hockey followers in Illinois? Play a DI team like St. Norbert did against "Wisconsin". Jeff Jackson was brought up in this forum, so why can't they play a preseason game against Notre Dame?

None of the above will ever happen as long as they continue to do things the same.

Comment

None of the above will ever happen as long as they continue to do things the same.
                      I agree that things need to change, I also believe the a coach can work around a bad AD.

Outside the box...How about getting local flavor to the team, maybe reach out to a Sebastian Geoffrion and get some family assistance to boot?
                      IceChips

Comment

I agree that things need to change, I also believe the a coach can work around a bad AD.

Outside the box...How about getting local flavor to the team, maybe reach out to a Sebastian Geoffrion and get some family assistance to boot?
                        Sebastian Geoffrion?

Comment

Well to address something else...

Home Ice Campaign - The final phase is the updating of the 45 year old refrigeration equipment with a $2M ask. HMMM you could almost build a whole new rink for that much $70 - 75/sq. ft. . Obviously needed, so keep the AD busy doing that and get her out of the coaches getting some talent.

We can't compete in the NCHA & the top programs in the nation without changes!
                          IceChips

Comment

the thread falls silent...; no ideas, no passion, low expectations all to set up another SNAFU season. Well good luck to Adrain and SNC that put in the effort and that have made themselves tops in the nation.
                            IceChips

Comment

So where is the future? Why would you come and play at LFC? It is sad, the school has so much to offer....
                              2015-16 Men’s NCHA All-Freshman Team
                              Forward: Connor Armour, Adrian College (Fr, Bowmanville, Ontario)
                              Forward: Jake Howie, Marian University (Fr, Grand Blanc, Mich.)
                              Forward: Bryan Yim, Adrian College (Fr, Farmington, Mich.)
                              Defense: Cory Dunn, Adrian College (Fr, Trenton, Mich.)
                              Defense: Gianni Mangone, Marian University (Fr, Calgary, Alb.)
                              Goalie: Kevin Entmaa, Adrian College (Fr, Milton, Ontario)

I know I know stop being negative. Can someone post a bright spot?
                              IceChips

Comment

Loved the video for the Home Ice Advantage Campaign.

JS should be transparent about excellene in hockey instead of fake rah rah.

How about:
                                “We need the money to make this barn into a place where we can compete, we are close and desperately need new refergiation equipment to complete the facility overhaul.”

“Our expectation is to be a top contender in the NCHA, the premiere collegiate hockey conference for Div. III.”

“Our commitment to our Coaches, Alumni and both Women’s and Men’s hockey players is that we will aggressively support the development of hockey programs to improve the experience and increase winning.”

LFC – Men’s Hockey Facts 1965 - 2016
                                ’65 -’69 Winning Seasons = 3
                                ’70 – ’79 Winning Seasons = 5
                                ’80 – ’89 Winning Seasons = 6
                                ’90 – ’99 Winning Seasons = 2
                                ‘00 – ’16 Winning Seasons = 6
                                Total Winning Seasons = 22 "Our Mission has not changed" JS
                                Total Opponents = 93
                                Winning Records against those 93 = 46
                                “The team that usually wins is the team that got off the bus with the most talent.”
                                Jack Parker
                                IceChips

Comment

Working...
                                X