X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Completely Unwoven: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 4.0

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    Sam's Club is pushing their "Scan and Go" app. Use the app, scan your items as you go through the store, and then the exit door greeter scans your "receipt" on your phone. No cashiers needed.
    They better get more door greeters.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      I don't want to link to the story because I don't want to drive traffic to the site, but a Chicago area man is suing McDonald's and the local franchisee for false advertising with regards to its Value Meals. Specifically, the two-cheeseburger value meal is $0.41 more expensive at each and very of the 25 McD's near him than if someone were to order all menu items a la carte. He's saying that they're lying by misuse of the world "value."
      Then don't order the "value" meal! *facepalm*

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        I don't want to link to the story because I don't want to drive traffic to the site, but a Chicago area man is suing McDonald's and the local franchisee for false advertising with regards to its Value Meals. Specifically, the two-cheeseburger value meal is $0.41 more expensive at each and very of the 25 McD's near him than if someone were to order all menu items a la carte. He's saying that they're lying by misuse of the world "value."
        heh. Just to mess with people, back in the 80s, a relative of mine with a vegetable farm used to sell cabbages at his roadside stand "10 cents each, or two for a quarter." Said he collected a lot of quarters.....
        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
          heh. Just to mess with people, back in the 80s, a relative of mine with a vegetable farm used to sell cabbages at his roadside stand "10 cents each, or two for a quarter." Said he collected a lot of quarters.....
          That is a brilliant way to get people to notice and stop. A lot of smartalecks (like me) would buy one cabbage, then turn around and buy another one, and go away thinking "I just rooked that guy out of 5 cents, ha ha ha..."

Maybe intentional mistakes are a way to get shoppers focused on a product.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Sam's Club is pushing their "Scan and Go" app. Use the app, scan your items as you go through the store, and then the exit door greeter scans your "receipt" on your phone. No cashiers needed.
            Their lines can get long. Sounds like a great idea. Do they require that you use their credit card?

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline06 View Post
              Their lines can get long. Sounds like a great idea. Do they require that you use their credit card?
              Given their self-checkout does, I wouldn't put it past them...

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline06 View Post
                Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                Given their self-checkout does, I wouldn't put it past them...
                No. I use my bank card at their self-checkout, no issue.

And since I work for the local Sam's, I can tell you that we push "Scan and Go," our Plus program, and our credit card equally. Cashiers and membership are required to generate X number of Plus and credit apps each week, and if they don't, they get a lecture...
                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

No. I use my bank card at their self-checkout, no issue.

And since I work for the local Sam's, I can tell you that we push "Scan and Go," our Plus program, and our credit card equally. Cashiers and membership are required to generate X number of Plus and credit apps each week, and if they don't, they get a lecture...
                  Fair enough point with the check cards; there are some of us that still prefer cash, though...

Pushing credit cards is not limited to Sam's Club, as it's seen in quite a bit of retail outlets. I have a friend who works at Sears, and those who don't meet the quota get a bit more than a lecture. It's pretty sad when, as a retail outlet, you're trying to grab interest instead of selling product, although I do understand the difference between monthly revenue and one time revenue...

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    Fair enough point with the check cards; there are some of us that still prefer cash, though...

Pushing credit cards is not limited to Sam's Club, as it's seen in quite a bit of retail outlets. I have a friend who works at Sears, and those who don't meet the quota get a bit more than a lecture. It's pretty sad when, as a retail outlet, you're trying to grab interest instead of selling product, although I do understand the difference between monthly revenue and one time revenue...
                    In terms of our Plus program, we set goals every day. And out in the lot, I can hear the dread from management when we're not getting any Plus memberships on a particular day. It's partly why, if I stay at Sam's Club, I have backed away from wanting to work the membership desk.
                    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                    Patreon for exclusive writing content
                    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

In terms of our Plus program, we set goals every day. And out in the lot, I can hear the dread from management when we're not getting any Plus memberships on a particular day. It's partly why, if I stay at Sam's Club, I have backed away from wanting to work the membership desk.
                      It seems like an awful model for determining who stays and who gets the pink copy of the triplicate, as there's only so many people you can sell to, so hopefully your management keeps saturation in mind, especially if your area has more than one location. We used to have a few around here, sadly down to one, and it's in the "sanctuary" part of town...

Comment

Hmm.

Finland to test 'universal basic income' for the unemployed

A group of 2,000 unemployed people in Finland will receive a basic income every month from the state, tax-free and with no strings attached. Proponents hope to prove such schemes boost people's motivation to find work.
                        Cornell University
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Receiving $585/mo. may very well incentivize people to work because they sure as hell can't live off that amount.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            Receiving $585/mo. may very well incentivize people to work because they sure as hell can't live off that amount.
                            Or they'll "commune" with other bums receiving this, and then not work at all. Reminds me of the story of the professor who decides to average everyone's grades and give them all the same thing. Eventually, they're going to run out of other people's money to give out.

Comment

Or they'll "commune" with other bums receiving this, and then not work at all. Reminds me of the story of the professor who decides to average everyone's grades and give them all the same thing. Eventually, they're going to run out of other people's money to give out.
                              "Good. Yes. You've done well. Here is a small prize. The history of the world."
                              Cornell University

Comment

The houses and flats in Finland will not fit 32 Mexicans per bedroom. What you're proposing simply isn't feasible there as it would still have an upper limit of perhaps 8 people, and the government keeps a much closer tab on its citizens than we do here.

Comment

Working...
                                X