• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Completely Unwoven: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 4.0

Strands in the Tapestry: the Business, Economics, and Tax Policy Thread
    Weaving the Strands: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 2.0
    Frayed Ends: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 3.0

Continue!

There's an article in one of the defense approps rags which essentially says LockMar got the F-35 so Northrop had to be awarded the B-3 or we would have wound up with only defense contractor in the combat air game. The euphemism is "protecting the industrial base."
    Actually, I think this is the first thing that actually makes sense to me.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Strands in the Tapestry: the Business, Economics, and Tax Policy Thread
    Weaving the Strands: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 2.0
    Frayed Ends: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 3.0

Continue!

Actually, I think this is the first thing that actually makes sense to me.
    One rag? I think they are all saying that.

This is a much bigger blow to Boeing, who was shut out of JSF and now this. Good times if you need to pick up cheap factory space in St. Louis (and who doesn't?)
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Re: Completely Unwoven: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 4.0

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post

This is a much bigger blow to Boeing, who was shut out of JSF and now this. Good times if you need to pick up cheap factory space in St. Louis (and who doesn't?)
      Karma. They should never have back-stabbed Seattle.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

One rag? I'm not sure you're replying to the correct post.
        Code:
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          One rag? I'm not sure you're replying to the correct post.
          I know - not easy to fix on my phone...

Comment

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being completely stupid and not understanding the post. It's been known to happen.
            Code:

Comment

It's nice to have money to be able to afford these houses
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                I'm feeling faint just at the thought of $100,000/yr in property taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  I'm feeling faint just at the thought of $100,000/yr in property taxes.
                  Real estate taxes in NJ are high - unless you live in the right town.

This is the old family manse, not too far from Ms. Bilge's house that Mom sold in 2009. Property taxes on this house are actually low, due to all the office buildings and hotels in Woodcliff Lake.

Here' the old house (since remodeled) that we moved out of in 1967 (sold then for $29,900). Taxes are a little bit less for a much, much smaller house and property.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

It's nice to have it, but those houses are what you get when you give stupid people money. I love the mixture of completely self-contradictory architectural styles in one facade. (This is nothing new. Check out the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum sometime -- the place where the famous art theft happened. That's what you get when you give stupid people money in the Nineteenth Century.)
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      It's nice to have it, but those houses are what you get when you give stupid people money. I love the mixture of completely self-contradictory architectural styles in one facade. (This is nothing new. Check out the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum sometime -- the place where the famous art theft happened. That's what you get when you give stupid people money in the Nineteenth Century.)
                      Classic version:

Me: I wish I had enough money to buy an elephant.
                      You: What in the world would you do with an elephant???
                      Me: Oh - no way in heck I'd ever buy an elephant. I just wish I had that much money!

Comment

It's not quite Apple's "1984" commercial, but for those of you who harbor any skepticism towards the hegemony of the Lazy B and LockMart over the defense industry, here's a chance to put a small chink in their armor:

www.americasnewbomber.com

Disclaimer: I work on other projects, so I can't speak to the actual merits of the case, but having worked at/for all 3, I feel quite strongly that Northrop is the least bad actor of the bunch.

Comment

It's not quite Apple's "1984" commercial, but for those of you who harbor any skepticism towards the hegemony of the Lazy B and LockMart over the defense industry, here's a chance to put a small chink in their armor:

www.americasnewbomber.com

Disclaimer: I work on other projects, so I can't speak to the actual merits of the case, but having worked at/for all 3, I feel quite strongly that Northrop is the least bad actor of the bunch.
                          I've heard Northrop is actually a pretty good place to work, too. Maybe there's still some residual respect for good work. The rest of the industry has IMHO been overrun by Harvard MBA "parts is parts" bean counterism, where you exploit and nickle-and-dime your own workforce every bit as much as the American taxpayer.

The DC subways are filled with ads that would have made Big Brother blush. It's really creepy especially around Pentagon and Crystal City. The whole place has a "Man in the High Castle" vibe to it.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 11-09-2015, 08:27 AM.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Real estate taxes in NJ are high - unless you live in the right town.

This is the old family manse, not too far from Ms. Bilge's house that Mom sold in 2009. Property taxes on this house are actually low, due to all the office buildings and hotels in Woodcliff Lake.

Here' the old house (since remodeled) that we moved out of in 1967 (sold then for $29,900). Taxes are a little bit less for a much, much smaller house and property.
                            What is high or low in your book?
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                              What is high or low in your book?
                              Check out Cliffside Park. My Mom was paying $8K for her house while a smaller house in CP was paying close to $20K. For my Mom's income 8K was ok. $20K would have been too much.

I guess if I am Donald Trump, my idea of high/low is different than if I am retiree Joe.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X