X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Completely Unwoven: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 4.0

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Check out Cliffside Park. My Mom was paying $8K for her house while a smaller house in CP was paying close to $20K. For my Mom's income 8K was ok. $20K would have been too much.

I guess if I am Donald Trump, my idea of high/low is different than if I am retiree Joe.
    Alright those are high. $8k is about right for a $500k house in the city here...and that's definitely on the upper end of housing prices.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      I've heard Northrop is actually a pretty good place to work, too. Maybe there's still some residual respect for good work. The rest of the industry has IMHO been overrun by Harvard MBA "parts is parts" bean counterism, where you exploit and nickle-and-dime your own workforce every bit as much as the American taxpayer.
      I don't work for Northrop but do work with about 30 people that do, and they do take very good care of their people (for a large corporation). The small businesses in the DoD world are where you really get taken care of. The Govt shoulders a good chunk of the blame for the bean counterism, LPTA kinda encourages it.

Comment

NYS AG has shut down DraftKings and FanDuel in the Empire State. Wonder if the Mob will now sponsor fantasy sports?
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          NYS AG has shut down DraftKings and FanDuel in the Empire State. Wonder if the Mob will now sponsor fantasy sports?
          UIGEA. Plus, how dare someone robs the vampire state of pony money.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            UIGEA. Plus, how dare someone robs the vampire state of pony money.
            Didn't know you had so many goth nerds there...
            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
              Didn't know you had so many goth nerds there...
              Maybe in the lower part of the state. Not so much so in the real part of it. In the real part, our definition of "pony" is not animation.

Comment

Yippee! Mandatory 5 day furlough between now and Christmas at my company, and merit increases postponed by at least a quarter in order to appease the angry wall street overlords over a reduction in the sales outlook. I'm guessing the CEO's bonus wont be affected.

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                  Yippee! Mandatory 5 day furlough between now and Christmas at my company, and merit increases postponed by at least a quarter in order to appease the angry wall street overlords over a reduction in the sales outlook. I'm guessing the CEO's bonus wont be affected.
                  I've been at my company for 10 years. In virtually every quarter our sales and net profit has increased. And every year our benefits are trimmed.

The road to serfdom turned out to be capitalism.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    The road to serfdom turned out to be capitalism.
                    The basic problem is that capitalism is an unstable system.
                    Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                    Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Yeah, this year 3M decided to continue showing they are run by a bunch of fkwits. OH, we had 7-8% headwinds from forex? Let's gut the labs and supply chain even further. Yeah, that'll work. Solve a short-term problem with long-term damage.

It's time we banned pay in the form of stock, stock options, or anything like that. F8ck these azzholes.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        Yeah, this year 3M decided to continue showing they are run by a bunch of fkwits. OH, we had 7-8% headwinds from forex? Let's gut the labs and supply chain even further. Yeah, that'll work. Solve a short-term problem with long-term damage.

It's time we banned pay in the form of stock, stock options, or anything like that. F8ck these azzholes.
                        I don't know that much about 3M. But I've been in there a few times. It struck me as a company that wanted to be about innovation being full of scientists and engineers...but was a hopelessly backward looking one. I know Apple's is a brutal comparison for any company...but it shows how poorly oriented other companies are.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

I don't know that much about 3M. But I've been in there a few times. It struck me as a company that wanted to be about innovation being full of scientists and engineers...but was a hopelessly backward looking one. I know Apple's is a brutal comparison for any company...but it shows how poorly oriented other companies are.
                          Apple hasn't innovated ***** since Jobs kicked the bucket. The iPhone 6 was just playing catch-up to Samsung. The iMac and MacBook have been around for years with only modest hardware upgrades. AppleTV and the iPad have a ton of cheaper competition. The only thing "new" in recent memory is the watch, and even that is mainly an expensive accessory for the iPhone.

Comment

Don't like what you get? Go somewhere else. This is the land of opportunity for a reason.

Comment

I think you're insane if you don't think 3M is an innovative company. Regardless of its management.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Would the following work?

Pass an amendment (so no going back) that if the national debt (not deficit) is positive, the budget cannot exceed the prior year's budget.

We start out with the current deficits of $1T a year and a debt of $18T. Obviously, the budget freezes. The years go on, inflation and revenue collection continue to increase and the deficit decreases towards zero (with the debt still building). Eventually you hit a budget surplus (with the debt at I dunno, say $30T). There's still a debt so the budget is still frozen. But surpluses now begin to gallop, and the debt is repaid relatively quickly (particularly as no new debt means decreasing debt service). In a decade or so the debt vanishes utterly, and with a national surplus the prohibition of budget increases flips back off. Future debt is controlled as the budget freeze kicks in whenever the debt returns (not quite the same thing as a balanced budget amendment, since we're free to run up a substantial surplus though, given human nature, Congress would never behave that way).

There is pain along the way, but now people know exactly what low tax rates are costing us -- they are forced to cut services rather than roll up more debt. All of a sudden Eisenhower era progressive tax rates sound like a very good idea.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 11-16-2015, 08:16 PM.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X