Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1001

Thread: Completely Unwoven: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 4.0

Re: Completely Unwoven: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 4.0

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Seems like that would be a leading indicator of VERY BAD THINGS.

Or, we have established the amount of time it takes the American consumer to forget everything. It's 10 years.
    Sad.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

So...this is what life in "Basic" Economy is like (and also what it's like mentally, to be the ***** with status, and to be in first class). It's over-the-top and unrealistic in its approach (8 straight days of flying? Really?) - sort of an essayist Super Size Me for air travel - but it details most of our legitimate frustrations with the US air carriers. As far as entertainment value, the author mentions the term "gate lice", as well as demonstrates a classic example of a "DYKWIA" passenger. However, she should be listed on the @PassengerShaming Twitter account for wearing a onesie in public, let alone on a flight. Leave the pajamas at home, ma'am.

Also, this:

Here are some things I’ve done recently: challenged a T.S.A. agent who ordered me to remove a Kleenex from my pocket, sat in the wrong seat on a flight and claimed it was the other person’s fault, told a lost-bag agent that I was about to miss my next flight when it was not true, sat on the floor at a departure gate in order to charge my phone, and, at a low moment, jostled my seatmate’s arm right off our shared armrest while pretending I was doing something else.
    Bolded - only ever had to do that in St. Louis, because their airport is stuck in the 90s (they still charge for WiFi! ).
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

So, I spent the last week in suburban Oklahoma City. I had to go to a Twin Peaks twice this past week (boss' choice, and then clients' choice - not mine). On one hand, I can see why it exists - the "talent" and food are a marginal step up from Hooters, and so are the prices. On the other hand, I feel places like this exist to give 20 year-old anorexic Millennial girls stuck in sh*tholes like Oklahoma City a place to work.

On the plus side, we all agreed that if more on-site time is required, we're doing it at the client's HQ in LA. Wait, LA is a plus? Fark.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Top 1%? According to an OpEd in The New York Times, it is the top 20% that has grown rich at the expense of the lower 80%.

Title: Stop Pretending You're Not Rich.

The United States is more calcified by class than Britain, especially toward the top. The big difference is that most of the people on the highest rung in America are in denial about their privilege. The American myth of meritocracy allows them to attribute their position to their brilliance and diligence, rather than to luck or a rigged system....

Beneath a veneer of classlessness, the American class reproduction machine operates with ruthless efficiency. In particular, the upper middle class is solidifying. This favored fifth at the top of the income distribution, with an average annual household income of $200,000, has been separating from the 80 percent below. Collectively, this top fifth has seen a $4 trillion-plus increase in pretax income since 1979, compared to just over $3 trillion for everyone else. Some of those gains went to the top 1 percent. But most went to the 19 percent just beneath them.

The rhetoric of “We are the 99 percent” has in fact been dangerously self-serving, allowing people with healthy six-figure incomes to convince themselves that they are somehow in the same economic boat as ordinary Americans, and that it is just the so-called super rich who are to blame for inequality. [emphasis added]....

Most of the children born into households in the top 20 percent will stay there or drop only as far as the next quintile....

On the one hand, upper-middle-class Americans believe they are operating in a meritocracy (a belief that allows them to feel entitled to their winnings); on the other hand, they constantly engage in antimeritocratic behavior in order to give their own children a leg up....

the upper middle class starts to rig markets in its own favor, to the detriment of others. Take housing, perhaps the most significant example. Exclusionary zoning practices allow the upper middle class to live in enclaves....For the upper middle classes, regardless of their professed political preferences, zoning, wealth, tax deductions and educational opportunity reinforce one another in a virtuous cycle.
    Wikipedia puts the top 20% at household incomes of $92,000 and higher.....
    Last edited by FreshFish; 06-12-2017 at 10:32 AM.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by FreshFish View Post
    Top 1%? According to an OpEd in The New York Times, it is the top 20% that has grown rich at the expense of the lower 80%.
    Nice try, kitten.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

And by keeping real wages stagnant, they're driving more and more families down and them up. It's not Dems and it's not the GOP, it's the oligarchs who have the money and the power. The politicians are a tool to keep the status quo.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    4 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    And by keeping real wages stagnant, they're driving more and more families down and them up. It's not Dems and it's not the GOP, it's the oligarchs who have the money and the power. The politicians are a tool to keep the status quo.

BUT THE GOP IS THE MORE EFFECTIVE TOOL OF THE OLIGARCHS!!!!!!

Sorry to shout, but why can't you see this?!

WHY?!

I'm shouting again. Sorry.

But here's the thing, you do understand the inequality problem. Your statement proves you know the villain of the piece here. You get it.... almost. But there you sit still willing to vote for the GOP whose MISSION STATEMENT, whose only purpose in life, is to execute the oligarchs' will. That's the GOP. "It can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear."

And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until democracy is dead.

There are definitely Democrats who are terrible and do this too. But still, overarching all, there is a fundamental difference. With the Dems it's a bug. With the GOP, it's their religion. They do it ON PURPOSE because that's the change they want to see in the world.

This is the exact point of misunderstanding for smart and non-sociopathic Republicans, so I gotta ask you:

WHY
    DO
    YOU
    NOT
    SEE
    THIS
    ???

I'll take my answer off the air.
    Last edited by Kepler; 06-12-2017 at 12:17 PM.

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Sorry to shout, but why can't you see this?!

WHY?!

I'm shouting again. Sorry.

But here's the thing, you do understand the inequality problem. Your statement proves you know the villain of the piece here. You get it.... almost. But there you sit still willing to vote for the GOP whose MISSION STATEMENT, whose only purpose in life, is to execute the oligarchs' will. That's the GOP. "It can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear."

And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until democracy is dead.

There are definitely Democrats who are terrible and do this too. But still, overarching all, there is a fundamental difference. With the Dems it's a bug. With the GOP, it's their religion. They do it ON PURPOSE because that's the change they want to see in the world.

This is the exact point of misunderstanding for smart and non-sociopathic Republicans, so I gotta ask you:

WHY
    DO
    YOU
    NOT
    SEE
    THIS
    ???

I'll take my answer off the air.
    I would wager he does, but he's a single issue voter, and the GOP is anti-abortion. All else may be sacrificed for that one thing, even if it doesn't make rational sense or results in objectively worse outcomes for society as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    I would wager he does, but he's a single issue voter, and the GOP is anti-abortion. All else may be sacrificed for that one thing, even if it doesn't make rational sense or results in objectively worse outcomes for society as a whole.
    It's usually either abortion or guns. The voters don't care about anything else, that's why the GOP gets so much loyalty.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    Abortion is an important issue to me, just as something else is to you.

I would have voted for a pro choice catholic Joe Biden.

why can't you see this?!
    But here's the thing, you do understand the inequality problem. Your statement proves you know the villain of the piece here. You get it.... almost.
    [...etc.....]
    Hmm...by missing the author's point, you do a great job of proving it for him at the same time.

The author's point, it seemed to me, is that members of the 20% themselves bear primary responsibility for preserving their own status at the expense of everyone else, and the mechanism that allows them to do so with impunity is their facility in finding other people to blame for the problem. You want other people to pay for low-income housing, as long as that low-income housing is not sited in your own neighborhood, for example; you want other people to pay for food assistance for the poor, as long as you yourself never have to meet any of the people actually receiving assistance face-to-face.

You even come close to that by noting that both parties perpetuate those policies (e.g., mortgage interest deduction for homeowners; charitable deductions for gifts to college endowment funds). Yet somehow you yourself maintain your illusion of moral purity by blaming all of the problem entirely on others.

That's exactly what the author of the article was describing.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

Abortion is an important issue to me, just as something else is to you.

I would have voted for a pro choice catholic Joe Biden.
    I wish you would respond to my post, though. Since you'd have voted for Handsome Joe, the social issues aren't an auto veto for you. I am deeply perplexed why, realizing the game, you still back the playa.

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

I wish you would respond to my post, though. Since you'd have voted for Handsome Joe, the social issues aren't an auto veto for you. I am deeply perplexed why, realizing the game, you still back the playa.
    Because in a one v one I vet person A v Person B. I'm not looking at the party per SE, though I will favor the GOP if close.

Globally both parties suck. The leadership is a joke, they both are pawns of the oligarchs, and all they want is lifetime employment, free air travel and a nice consultant job when they are no longer in Congress. For all this, all they have to do is do what they're told.

In the recent election you had the Komodo dragon vs. the Burmese python. You were getting a reptile no matter who you chose.

Because in a one v one I vet person A v Person B. I'm not looking at the party per SE, though I will favor the GOP if close.

Globally both parties suck. The leadership is a joke, they both are pawns of the oligarchs, and all they want is lifetime employment, free air travel and a nice consultant job when they are no longer in Congress. For all this, all they have to do is do what they're told.

In the recent election you had the Komodo dragon vs. the Burmese python. You were getting a reptile no matter who you chose.
    Well, that is perhaps the most self-aware BSABSVR justification I've ever read. So kudos to you for that.

Flawed logic. There was a huge difference the two.

They ignore ridicule & fight; I win

While the country is distracted with a shooter... https://www.infowars.com/fed-hikes-i...ing-inflation/

We know what happens after FFR rises... give you a hint: it didn't change during the Obama terms...
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    While the country is distracted with a shooter... https://www.infowars.com/fed-hikes-i...ing-inflation/

We know what happens after FFR rises... give you a hint: it didn't change during the Obama terms...
    Lizard people?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Shirtless Bob That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Lizard people?
    Sandy Hook was a hoax.

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

lubba wubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post

Yeah, the FRB is saying that the economy is now healthy enough to handle higher interest rates, something it did not do while Pres. Obama was in office.

Oh the horror!

On the down side, my house just dropped a marginal percent of its former base price.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

They ignore ridicule & fight; I win

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Yeah, the FRB is saying that the economy is now healthy enough to handle higher interest rates, something it did not do while Pres. Obama was in office.

Oh the horror!

On the down side, my house just dropped a marginal percent of its former base price.
    The Fed messes with interest rates whenever they want a bubble and crash. It has nothing to do with the health of the economy. If they wanted to create a healthy economy, they'd leave well enough alone.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Thread Information