X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Completely Unwoven: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 4.0

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    The joys of capitalism. Also, Nestle makes seafood?
    Brokers illegally charge them fees to get jobs, trapping them into working on fishing vessels and at ports, mills and seafood farms in Thailand to pay back more money than they can ever earn.
    They're duped into paying these guys? That's an even more impressive scam than when the British press-gangs would drug guys at the bar to fill out the Royal Navy ranks.

Also, it noted Purina as a Nestle brand. So read into that what you will about the quality of the seafood they're harvesting - it's probably bonitos and bullheads to make Cat Chow.

Comment

Anyone go out shopping on Black Friday?
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Why would anyone want to get into a fight over a usually overpriced television?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          Why would anyone want to get into a fight over a usually overpriced television?
          Because it is the thing to do! (I stayed home)
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

I haven't been to a mall since about 2009. There are few brick and mortar places in the local town I like, but Amazon allows me to keep away from the barnyard animals.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Nope. Hitting up a few local stores today, though.

Comment

Yup. Many shops are half off. I'll buy stuff for myself if I find something I like.
                Go Gophers!

Comment

Sort of. On Thanksgiving Day my cell provider sent my bill, opened it and saw an issue. So I made a stop at the cell phone store, ended up replacing my phone, lowering my monthly cell bill, and getting a deal on a Harman Kardon Bluetooth speaker.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I went the day after.

There's about to be a smoking hot Redhead in my basement.
                    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                      I went the day after.

Hmm...
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                        I went the day after.

https://youtu.be/-UJ9K8lMxPA?t=2m17s
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Here is a really interesting build on what I wrote in post 37!

Mark Zuckerberg’s announcement that he and his wife, Priscilla Chan, are pledging $45 billion over their lifetimes to an “initiative” to help solve the world’s problems has been widely hailed as an extraordinary act of philanthropy. But generous as this commitment is, it actually marks the culmination of a frequent critique of philanthropy in its current form....[aside: a critique I echoed in that post...]

Most reports of the couple’s pledge, made after their daughter’s birth last week, have characterized it as a “gift” to charity....in fact it is an investment in a limited-liability corporation to be called the “Chan Zuckerberg Initiative.”

Although perhaps contradictory, the purposes of the company are clearly philanthropic, to advance “human potential” and promote “equality,” rather than earn money for its owners. However, it will not just make grants to nonprofits, as foundations typically do. The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative will also own stakes in for-profit businesses in fields like education and health care, which its owners believe will help achieve their philanthropic goals. [emphasis added, as I suggested something very similar...]
                          What Mr. Zuckerberg and others are proposing instead is to harness the profit motive on behalf of their philanthropic goals. This is often referred to as a “double bottom-line” approach: The companies in which the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative invests will have to show both a financial return in order to be sustainable and a social one—for example, increased numbers of lives saved or children finishing school—in order to obtain additional funding. [emphasis added].

The approach Mr. Zuckerberg is taking has several advantages. One is that if he had created a foundation, American tax laws would have required him to sell most of the Facebook stock he gave it. But by using the stock to fund a limited-liability company, he can keep control over as much of it as he wants (though he may sell some to make grants or investments).

In addition, other wealthy people can contribute to the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative or to the companies it bankrolls, leveraging the $45 billion Mr. Zuckerberg and his wife intend to put in. Not least importantly, the initiative, being an LLC, is entitled to a share of any profits from its investments, which it plans to use to renew its funds.

Though I suppose by now I should have realized that the truth of a statement has nothing whatsoever to do with its content these days, a statement is judged either true or false merely by one's feelings about who said it...
                          Last edited by FreshFish; 12-03-2015, 11:33 AM.
                          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

Though I suppose by now I should have realized that the truth of a statement has nothing whatsoever to do with its content these days, a statement is judged either true or false merely by one's feelings about who said it...
                            One little hitch...

The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is not even an actual charitable organization, but rather structured as an LLC. Unlike a charitable trust, which is compelled to spend its money on charity, Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, LLC will be able to spend its money on whatever it wants, including private, profit-generating investment.
                            It's a "charitable" organization that basically says software will solve anything or:
                            “Micro-schools”? Putting Facebook software in public schools? Software, software, more software. If you have a headache, take a software. Jimmy can’t read? Give him software. The conceit that code can solve all social ills and free the species from the chains of aging, illness, and flatulence is the height of Silicon Valley bs, and Zuckerberg’s massive giveaway will clearly be predicated on that conceit.
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                              Except that, unlike what you wrote in post 37, not a single law or regulation needed to change for this to happen.
                              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                                Except that, unlike what you wrote in post 37, not a single law or regulation needed to change for this to happen.
                                So Zuckerberg has better lawyers than I do! The concept is exactly the same. I did not know that this loophole was already available. Very clever on his part. I hope we see more of it!
                                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Working...
                                X