X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Completely Unwoven: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 4.0

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    what did j. forbes kerry define as "super rich" in 2004? 75k?
    $75K was when they wanted to rollback any tax credits for single people, and then, as dx said, at $200K you were lumped in with the rich people.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Maybe we should just go back to barter...

According to an OCCRP report, the "Laundromat" scams were always the same. Two shell companies existing only on paper would pretend to lend money to each other. One company would then “default” on the loan. Judges would certify the “debt” as authentic, allowing the Russian businesses to send cash to an account in Moldova. This money was sent to accounts controlled by the court - all at one bank - Moldindconbank in Moldova.

With the money finally out of Russia some of it was withdrawn directly. The majority of it though was sent to another bank - Trasta Komercbanka in Latvia, which is inside the European Union. From there it was easy to send it anywhere else in the world through the anonymous shell companies.

Murphy from Transparency International is not surprised by this complex scheme. "For too long we've thought of corruption as being something that happens in Russia or China or in African countries. But here we can see just how complicit the whole of the financial system is."
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Oh, you mean just like Mark Cuban's prediction of doom and gloom with the election? https://www.infowars.com/member-of-c...does-not-pass/

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          Oh, you mean just like Mark Cuban's prediction of doom and gloom with the election? https://www.infowars.com/member-of-c...does-not-pass/
          A 5% drop is not doom and gloom. It doesn't even reach the threshold for being a market correction.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            A 5% drop is not doom and gloom. It doesn't even reach the threshold for being a market correction.
            But it's a big number, and humans suck at putting big numbers into perspective. Same reason many people freak out over the budget deficit, even though it's relatively small in the grand scheme of things relative to the country's GDP and net worth.

Maybe the country just needs to issue 2.0 greenbacks to knock a few zeroes off of figures. We could bring back the half penny, too, increasing mining jobs in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
              We could bring back the half penny, too, increasing mining jobs in the process.
              Done, but please call it the haypenny.

We should bring these back, too. Very cool.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                But it's a big number, and humans suck at putting big numbers into perspective. Same reason many people freak out over the budget deficit, even though it's relatively small in the grand scheme of things relative to the country's GDP and net worth.

Maybe the country just needs to issue 2.0 greenbacks to knock a few zeroes off of figures. We could bring back the half penny, too, increasing mining jobs in the process.
                The national debt is over 100% of the GDP.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  But do you remember when Cuban said the market would crash if Trump was elected?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    But do you remember when Cuban said the market would crash if Trump was elected?
                    Nope, I don't follow Mark Cuban news. Who is he to me other than a rich man on TV who likes to talk?

Comment

Nope, I don't follow Mark Cuban news. Who is he to me other than a rich man on TV who likes to talk?
                      The point is that predicting all this movement being based upon lack of a government action is just dumb. It's just trying to scare people into supporting crappy legislation. It's the true definition of terrorism.

Comment

I see what you did there.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          I see what you did there.
                          Honestly, part of me wonders how many times we can make that mistake. Then the other part of me looks at the voting history with regards to my own state's gubernatorial elections, and then tuck my chin to my chest.

Comment

Does not everyone have an opinion? Often people are asked opinions and they give them. To me very normal.

I find it far less annoying that people have opinions...than those that those that freak out over others opinions and use them as some big thing for their own agendas. Hollywood (with outrage)!
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                              Does not everyone have an opinion? Often people are asked opinions and they give them. To me very normal.

I find it far less annoying that people have opinions...than those that those that freak out over others opinions and use them as some big thing for their own agendas. Hollywood (with outrage)!
                              Hollywood is an easy target for riling up conservatives, because there are so many actual airheaded morons living there. Being rich/famous, predominately liberal, and getting a lot of cheap press makes it easy for these people to get their opinion out into the national consciousness. So, cons in flyover states get angry/jealous at being ignored because they aren't rich and famous themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                Hollywood is an easy target for riling up conservatives, because there are so many actual airheaded morons living there.
                                Hollywood Celebrities: liberals :: Fundamentalist Christians : conservatives
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X