• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Completely Unwoven: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 4.0

Snoopy fired!!!!!

http://wtop.com/entertainment/2016/1...t-retools-biz/
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Another Irishman loses his job to what's likely to be a dirty Englishman.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
        I'd beg to differ with most of that (although if you live in W VA, you might have that perspective). Growth in start up activity is sky high. Go to any co working or collaborative working outfit which are taking off all around the country. You'll see tons of entrepreneurs many of them extremely successful. The nature of small businesses and particularly successful small businesses has changed. These days they are ecommerce related. Go to silicon valley or check out the hundreds of projects on kickstarter.com. In fact of those companies that don't make it...the top reasons are always incompetence, lack of planning or not understanding the marketplace.

The challenges coming from large business is not that they're too regulated (I have consulted for quite a few). Its due to collusion in select industries. You go shopping for an airline ticket or to buy a hand towel online or in a store and you'll get a highly price competitive market that forces down prices back into the value chain (I.e., manufacturing). But industries like energy and health care have no transparent pricing. In the case of health care, murky pricing options take away the ability to shop price and result in a lack of supply/demand pressure...that would enforce better value further back into the health care value chain (that is to say why we have expensive medication). This is not caused by regulation, but by the inability of society to enforce a free transparent market into a number of industries. There's still this type of corruption, but capitalism has won and that's why global GDP continues to go up.
        Live in CT. Parking lot expansion in 2010 required 36 permits with 16 different agencies (including proof that there was no lead paint on vacant land that never held a building). Large businesses are leaving left and right unless they can negotiate a one-off sweetheart deal to stay. Most startups appear to be craft breweries, so we can go commiserate together. largest employers now are the state itself (including the university system), and Yale (if you include the affiliated hospital network). Hartford Insurance, CIGNA, Aetna, GE, United Technologies, all either already gone or on their way out. Colt left long ago, as did Whalers.

Hope your perspective is more prevalent than mine nationwide!
        Last edited by FreshFish; 10-20-2016, 02:55 PM.
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Good.

Very few things were ever as depressing as one of my childhood heroes pimping for a f-cking insurance crime syndicate.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
            Live in CT. Parking lot expansion in 2010 required 36 permits with 16 different agencies (including proof that there was no lead paint on vacant land that never held a building). Large businesses are leaving left and right unless they can negotiate a one-off sweetheart deal to stay. Most startups appear to be craft breweries, so we can go commiserate together. largest employers now are the state itself (including the university system), and Yale (if you include the affiliated hospital network). Hartford Insurance, CIGNA, Aetna, GE, United Technologies, all either already gone or on their way out. Colt left long ago, as did Whalers.

Hope your perspective is more prevalent than mine nationwide!
            A lot of this type of thing is restructuring due to market forces - ecommerce, a mobile workforce and globalization. None are specifically bad (globalization can be a real challenge if you don't sell globally), but they will lead to reductions of visible business real estate. But that doesn't appear to be your issue there. I would believe that those are symptomatic of different issues.

Your businesses aren't withering. Some other region beat you. Usually businesses don't move due to regulation. More frequently somebody else is providing the labor force these businesses want or secondarily a sweet offer from a local municipality. That many business relo's almost have to be workforce related. Labor is either not qualified or more likely expensive. I will say potentially we're in a similar boat as you, but companies rarely leave here. Don't know of any easy fix for that.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

A lot of this type of thing is restructuring due to market forces - ecommerce, a mobile workforce and globalization. None are specifically bad (globalization can be a real challenge if you don't sell globally), but they will lead to reductions of visible business real estate. But that doesn't appear to be your issue there. I would believe that those are symptomatic of different issues.

Your businesses aren't withering. Some other region beat you. Usually businesses don't move due to regulation. More frequently somebody else is providing the labor force these businesses want or secondarily a sweet offer from a local municipality. That many business relo's almost have to be workforce related. Labor is either not qualified or more likely expensive. I will say potentially we're in a similar boat as you, but companies rarely leave here. Don't know of any easy fix for that.
              Evidently you've never been to NYS, where Remington is packing up because of Cuomo's 2nd amendment violations, and Tim Horton's skips town in order to do national expansion.

Comment

CT doesn't have any reserves of oil or natural gas underground at all. The legislature nonetheless is considering an anti-fracking bill anyway even though no one ever will try it here in the first place. They really do value symbolism over logic. Good intentions are all that matter; no one cares at all about actual results.

I kid you not, the majority leader of the state Senate is named Looney.
                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                  CT doesn't have any reserves of oil or natural gas underground at all. The legislature nonetheless is considering an anti-fracking bill anyway even though no one ever will try it here in the first place. They really do value symbolism over logic. Good intentions are all that matter; no one cares at all about actual results.

I kid you not, the majority leader of the state Senate is named Looney.
                  Sounds like wasteful govt. Don't think its causing companies to leave, but wasteful nonetheless.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

We need TR Trustbusting II.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      It's official. Does this add jobs/growth to the economy or is it a "the only way to grow the bottom line is to acquire more bottoms?"

I say No. It doesn't create anything other than move electrons around somebody's digital empire.

tD has said no. HRC? Will she have to wait for the email from the House of Morgan before she says anything?

I would think Liz is gleefully sharpening her knives this AM. This is right up her alley.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

It's official. Does this add jobs/growth to the economy or is it a "the only way to grow the bottom line is to acquire more bottoms?"

I say No. It doesn't create anything other than move electrons around somebody's digital empire.

tD has said no. HRC? Will she have to wait for the email from the House of Morgan before she says anything?

I would think Liz is gleefully sharpening her knives this AM. This is right up her alley.
                        If anything, it probably results in layoffs due to "efficiencies that exist between our combined organizations".

Looks like Hillary has sent Kaine out to flank it.

Comment

And y'all didn't believe... http://www.organicandhealthy.org/201...to-killed.html

Comment

Why the hell do they still print using old school dot matrix style printers at the airport for printing off what I can only imagine are passenger manifests?
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              Why the hell do they still print using old school dot matrix style printers at the airport for printing off what I can only imagine are passenger manifests?
                              Honestly, printers that old are likely tied to equally old -- if not older -- server systems. It would be a major capital investment to go through that update. Until six months ago, the Fed was using a thirty-year-old system for moving hundreds of billions worth of transactions each day. These legacy systems stick around because they're expensive to replace, and operational downtime is not an option.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                Once had a pilot joke it was the "toughest part of the job" as he was going over those printouts.

Comment

Working...
                                X