Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: D-III nooz: ECAC-NA now CHC

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    No, this is Division III. The only football bowl game is the Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl which is for all the marbles. As for the rest, I echo the sentiments of Lt. Powers.
    Cogent argument, well stated and using evidence to make your debate points. Bravo.

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
      Because that's how pretty much every NCAA sport works?

You give conferences auto-bids to encourage schools to start programs. Eventually that expands the tournament field and everyone's no worse off.

Powers &8^]
      And encouraging schools to start programs develops the sport, which is all but 13 years old or so at the NCAA national championship level. I think it would be tough to be a coach at St. A's, Holy Cross, St. Mike's where you would have to tell a recruit that you don't have the opportunity to play in the big dance. Maybe that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnscm View Post
        And encouraging schools to start programs develops the sport, which is all but 13 years old or so at the NCAA national championship level. I think it would be tough to be a coach at St. A's, Holy Cross, St. Mike's where you would have to tell a recruit that you don't have the opportunity to play in the big dance. Maybe that's just me.
        They can. The National Collegiate Championship is for D-I & D-II schools. They just have to play in a conference with 6 like members.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

They can. The National Collegiate Championship is for D-I & D-II schools. They just have to play in a conference with 6 like members.
          So to close the debate circle with the Crosscheck (Donald) above, the sport needs more development by attracting more players who can play on teams and in conferences that have to start somewhere. The long and short is keep it going, provide incentives (like auto-bids) to create more conferences and teams and the sport wins.

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
            Because that's how pretty much every NCAA sport works?

You give conferences auto-bids to encourage schools to start programs. Eventually that expands the tournament field and everyone's no worse off.

Powers &8^]
            Case in point...how many different teams have made the BCS bowl games over the last 15 years? Yes any team with 6 wins can go to a bowl game...but the bowl games that mattered were the BCS games. There were traditionally 4 bowl games...so 8 teams. I think I counted 48 teams made an appearance in a BCS bowl game over 15 years, but only 18 made more than 2 appearances.

Of the 15 years of data, Ohio State made a BCS bowl 10 times, Oklahoma 9 times, Florida State 8, USC and Florida 7, Alabama 6 and then Va Tech, Oregon, Michigan, Stanford, Wisconsin with 5 appearances.

So even though there are 128 BCS teams, only 11 were consistently in those games.

I do agree somewhat that especially with women's hockey that the talent pool gets watered down by all these teams. THere are boys playing hockey in every state in America...so having 100 college hockey teams is doable, but thats not the case with girls...the bulk of hockey players come from Minnesota...then WI, IL, MI and the northeast. There are only so many highly talented girls coming into the college ranks, which is why I think there is soo much disparity between the top teams and the bottom teams. If I'm good enough to play at Plattsburgh or Middlebury, Gustavus or River Falls...I'm going to go there. IF I'm a highly talented player, why would I choose to go to Finlandia?
            UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
            NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
            Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

CHC Pre-season poll.

http://colonialhockey.com/sports/wic...Preseason_Poll

Comment

Originally posted by mtnscm View Post
                So to close the debate circle with the Crosscheck (Donald) above, the sport needs more development by attracting more players who can play on teams and in conferences that have to start somewhere. The long and short is keep it going, provide incentives (like auto-bids) to create more conferences and teams and the sport wins.
                So to close the circle...I'm all for growing the game....but that's not really what this is about. It's about a new conf. that doesn't deserve an auto-bid in a world where very few teams qualify for the tournament...u can argue that's going to grow the sport, but if you've been around the game a long time [sounds like you haven't] then we all know otherwise...You don't grow a sport from the Top Down...what grows the sport is putting the effort, money and resouces into growing the game at the YOUTH level...but you keep on doing what you do mtnscum [Devin].

Comment

No, this is Division III. The only football bowl game is the Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl which is for all the marbles. As for the rest, I echo the sentiments of Lt. Powers.
                  The analogy was obviously NOT to D3 football genius...By definition, "Bowl" games don't include D3.

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
                    The analogy was obviously NOT to D3 football genius...By definition, "Bowl" games don't include D3.
                    But we ARE duscussing D-III, not the other divisions. So why did you bring up bowls at all?

《Asbestos on》
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

But we ARE duscussing D-III, not the other divisions. So why did you bring up bowls at all?

《Asbestos on》
                      good lord...what a dolt. It was an a-n-a-l-o-g-y.....got it?

Comment

Working...
                      X