This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    I like voting in person because it shows a certain (rather small) level of dedication to the process, that you're willing to make time for the occasion rather than having it fit into your schedule.
    I also vote in person, I just do it a week or so early. So long as someone votes, how are they "shirking" their duty if they do so early or by absentee ballot?

Comment

• Re: The States: Mad Scientist Laboratories of Democracy

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      I like voting in person because it shows a certain (rather small) level of dedication to the process, that you're willing to make time for the occasion rather than having it fit into your schedule.
      The first step is making it a national holiday. It is insane that we vote on a workday. It's basically saying, "poor people not allowed."
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        The first step is making it a national holiday. It is insane that we vote on a workday. It's basically saying, "poor people not allowed."
        It's not insane, it's rooted in deference to the religious and geographic history of the population. We don't execute prisoners on the Sabbath, and don't vote on the weekends for that same reason. We don't vote on Mondays because it gave the farmers time to travel to their polling locations after the Sabbath. It's all quite logical, but if you want to change it you'll need a Constitutional amendment to make that happen.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          July 4. The results can be celebrated with conflagrations and illuminations. In the case of national elections, Congress seats on 9/1 and the President inaugurated on 9/11.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            July 4. The results can be celebrated with conflagrations and illuminations. In the case of national elections, Congress seats on 9/1 and the President inaugurated on 9/11.
            Let's make it July 2 in honor of the day we actually declared independence. :-)

(I actually love the idea of opening voting on July 4 and having it continue for a week.

I also favor holding the All Star Game on July 4.)

While we're at it, get rid of Veterans Day and bring back Armistice Day. It's a more noble thing to celebrate, plus we should be treating veterans better all year around.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              Originally posted by unofan View Post
              I also vote in person, I just do it a week or so early. So long as someone votes, how are they "shirking" their duty if they do so early or by absentee ballot?
              I guess I see your point, but I agree with Clown. And I suppose Kepler may be right about people working long shifts or two jobs who can't make time to get to the polls.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                I suppose Kepler may be right about people working long shifts or two jobs who can't make time to get to the polls.
                Depends on the state, I guess: NY and CT require employers to give employees up to two hours off on Election Day to get to the polls.

and every election season we get robocalls from various candidates' campaigns offering to drive people to the polls if they cannot make it on their own.
                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                  Colorado pretty much encourages voting by mail in ballot rather than in person, it's fantastic being able to complete it at home and either mail in or drop off.
                  once we figure out how to ensure "one person one vote" and how to ensure that the person who wants to vote is actually the person whom they claim to be, we'll migrate to on-line voting fairly quickly, I'll bet.

The only reason we have ballot boxes and polling places is to have observers overseeing the process to make sure everyone trusts that it is legitimate.
                  "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

If it were possible to experiment with this, then go back when it fails, I'd like to try this. Unfortunately, once you take this step, it's locked in. No way a federal holiday comes off the board.

The reason I'd like to see an experiment with this is I believe voter turnout would actually go down, possibly significantly. Too many people to comfortable at home, watching some dumb tv show, not showering or putting on anything but sweats. And then there are the commercial opportunities. "Election sales" with door buster deals.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I'm not sure I'm in favor of it being a federal holiday. It just means the employers would take away one of our other holidays or vacation days for a worthless Tuesday in November
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                        And then there are the commercial opportunities. "Election sales" with door buster deals.
                        Close the stores like they used to close the liquor stores. We spend 364 days looking up our own commercial as-hole, we can have one day of civil observance.
                        Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          I'm not sure I'm in favor of it being a federal holiday. It just means the employers would take away one of our other holidays or vacation days for a worthless Tuesday in November
                          Not even the Federal Government gets off for Election Day.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            Not even the Federal Government gets off for Election Day.
                            Phrasing.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Close the stores like they used to close the liquor stores. We spend 364 days looking up our own commercial as-hole, we can have one day of civil observance.
                              And what about the industries that operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including holidays?
                              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                              Originally posted by Quizmire
                              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                                And what about the industries that operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including holidays?
                                There are obvious exceptions, but it doesn't matter anyway if voting is for a week.

The only reason we don't do this is so that the "wrong" people don't vote.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X