This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 95th Season of Hockey- Michigan Tech Huskies 2015-2016 - Thread #1

Any of you Tech folks making the trip up? If so, leave our Charles Bunnell statue alone!

I posted a few thoughts on the series over at the Alaska season thread if any of you care to read. Cliff notes version, if the Nanooks are to win this weekend we need to beat you 5 on 5 and stay out of the box.

I know, that's some real in-depth analysis.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
      Any of you Tech folks making the trip up? If so, leave our Charles Bunnell statue alone!

I posted a few thoughts on the series over at the Alaska season thread if any of you care to read. Cliff notes version, if the Nanooks are to win this weekend we need to beat you 5 on 5 and stay out of the box.

I know, that's some real in-depth analysis.
      Hahahaha. I'm still amazed it fit so well! Unfortunately we are hosting thanksgiving dinner so there was no chance this year for the trip. I'll be waking up the inlaws yelling at the PC after they go to bed
      MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

I love that Jamie is responsive on Twitter. He's great.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

GFM
          Link for the lazy? Plus this was on page two... UNACCEPTABLE.
          MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Jamie is @JamiePhillips31 on Twitter. You have to click on "Tweets & Replies" to get the full effect. He was really funny over the fluke goal.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Jamie is @JamiePhillips31 on Twitter. You have to click on "Tweets & Replies" to get the full effect. He was really funny over the fluke goal.

GFM
              haha, i see it know. That is good stuff. I never use the actual twitter website... Only Tweetbot on my phone

Comment

We'll take the W. I thought it was interesting Wintjes was the backup.

Mel's postgame with Dirk:
                Knew refs would even things out a little bit
                5 things we have to do in 3rd with lead, stay on the ice is one, understand situation
                Bad penalty by Cliff, lose him too, need him on ice
                Took a couple bad penalties, we wont be able to take penalties like that in the future and get away with hit
                Petan had good looks, more than last 5/6 games combined
                Limited them to 14 shots, numerous scoring opps, didn't put them out of the game though
                PP wasn't very good, have to get better at that
                Like our start/ready to play, but have to continue to get better in some areas, game situations

Comment

They need to stop with the penalties...

Comment

How do you get 5 for interference?
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                      It's a new rule this year/being made with greater emphasis. So to answer your questions I don't know.
                      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                        I was wondering the exact same thing. 5 and a game, no less.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                          It's a new rule this year/being made with greater emphasis. So to answer your questions I don't know.
                          When I've seen it called before — twice, I believe — it was not only for the fact that it was interference but for the overall violence of the hit.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                            I'm pretty sure this is how the rule book lays it out:
                            Player obstructs the other player = 2 Min minor
                            Player really obstructs the other player = 4 Min double minor
                            Player really obstructs the other player in a way that looks very bad and he falls in a heap = 5 Min major
                            Player really obstructs the other player in a way that looks super bad, he falls in a heap, you've gotten the last five penalty calls and the refs want to even things up for their earlier questionable major + game misconduct = 5 Min major plus game misconduct
                            Seriously, how did they come up with that penalty at the rules committee?
                            We have interference, but we need something to call when he really, really gets in the other player's way.
                            How about EPIC interference?
                            No, that's too hip and trendy. We need something that fans can understand.
                            Ok, how about "major interference"?

Ryan
                            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                            Originally posted by geezer
                            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                            Originally posted by manurespreader
                            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                              They need to stop with the penalties...
                              I agree that Tech needs to cut down on the dumb penalties, however you will never be able to stop the ref from making dumb calls just to "even things up". One of my pet peeves is seeing a 5-min major called and 30 seconds later the team on the power play gets whistled for some ticky-tack call. Something that didn't get whistled the other 59 minutes of the game.
                              I also dislike when the refs just flip a switch and suddenly one team can do no right and the other can do no wrong. Penalties called by the back ref when the one standing 10 feet looking right at the plays calls nothing.
                              UAF takes five penalties for 21 minutes in the first half of the game and then suddenly in the second half of the game they can do no wrong and what a shocker, Tech magically ends up with the exact same number of penalties and minutes in the second half of the game... Give me a break. Why not umpire baseball and just decide not to call any strikes after the top of the 5th inning.
                              Ryan J
                              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                              Originally posted by geezer
                              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                              Originally posted by manurespreader
                              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

GFM
                                Are you referring to the infamous Jamie Russel?

Comment

Working...
                                X