This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 95th Season of Hockey- Michigan Tech Huskies 2015-2016 - Thread #1

So many chances and nothing to show for it, we're playing well but can't get the needed bounce.
    2005-2006: 7-25-6
    2006-2007: 18-17-5
    2007-2008: 14-20-5
    2008-2009: 6-25-7
    2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

This is at best a .500 team we're seeing, injuries not helping but neither is how we're playing. I'm 99.9% sure we fall out of the rankings after this week too.

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
        OK, so I generally know the rules well etc but what I still have never learned or understood is what determines whether a situation will be a 4 on 4 or 5 on 5 when 2 penalties are called. The dual slashing penalties and 4 on 4 is the example here, why was that 4 on 4 and not 5 on 5? Just something I have never understood.

As for Petan, does anyone have any more info on that, all I have is what F2B&G has as well which is from the broadcast.
        If the penalty box is empty, and each team gets 1 minor penalty after the whistle, it will go to 4x4. If one team is on the power play, and each team gets 1 minor penalty after the whistle, then it stays 5x4 for the team on the power play.

Comment

We needed 4 pts this weekend.

Mel's postgame with Dirk:
          Played better than last night, maybe didn't get results we deserved
          Will judget team on compete level and how hard they work, did a good job
          We will win a lot if we play this hard
          A lot of good efforts
          Sturos solid, played hard, strong with speed
          Some injuries, Steman out for sure, Petan a big loos tonight, but guys did a good job
          Will see how Petan is, but we have a lot of good competition
          We had some good looks durign 5x3, Ferris with game changing save

Comment

Good hard game and the hockey gods evened it up from last night.
            As well as the Ferris goalie played, I thought we threw too many pucks off the rush at the net without creating more time and space. We needed better looks against a goalie playing well.

Comment

Seems to me that Tech has a way to go on the defensive side. We don't come back as well as last year, and we don't clear out as well and it's showing up in the stats. That and the turnovers are both issues.
              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Not good points to surrender, especially with 6 of the next 8 on the road, and the 2 home games being Bowling Green.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  Seems to me that Tech has a way to go on the defensive side. We don't come back as well as last year, and we don't clear out as well and it's showing up in the stats. That and the turnovers are both issues.
                  Agreed, we have had a really hard time clearing it out of our end this season, and I think the poor passing is part of that. Lots of both true and redshirt freshman this year and obviously a lot of lost talent and leadership from last year all of which is very evident. At this point we definitely don't look like a tournament team and 50/50 at best on whether we can get a home ice playoff series. I know we can play better but we need to do it soon before we dig too large of a hole for ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
                    Agreed, we have had a really hard time clearing it out of our end this season, and I think the poor passing is part of that. Lots of both true and redshirt freshman this year and obviously a lot of lost talent and leadership from last year all of which is very evident. At this point we definitely don't look like a tournament team and 50/50 at best on whether we can get a home ice playoff series. I know we can play better but we need to do it soon before we dig too large of a hole for ourselves.
                    I'm pretty sure we will get a lot better, but it is a concern that we are leaving so many league points on the table for other teams and in the meantime mankato is not.
                    Checking around hockey, a lot of teams are losing games that they were picked to win. There's also a lot of teams on our schedule that play this Ferris state style.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                      I'm pretty sure we will get a lot better, but it is a concern that we are leaving so many league points on the table for other teams and in the meantime mankato is not.
                      Checking around hockey, a lot of teams are losing games that they were picked to win. There's also a lot of teams on our schedule that play this Ferris state style.
                      Bowling Green definitely plays with the same style, they will be a huge test.

Comment

What stands out to me is that I haven't seen Tech dominate anyone yet this season. MN State already two points up on the Huskies with two games in hand. In a league that might be won by 1 or 2 pts, that's a large early season gap in the standings.
                        Ryan
                        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                        Originally posted by geezer
                        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                        Originally posted by manurespreader
                        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

For people that haven't seen the hockey intro video yet:

https://vimeo.com/143696308

This and the weekend previews hosted by Dirk have been well produced.

Comment

• Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                            For people that haven't seen the hockey intro video yet:

https://vimeo.com/143696308

This and the weekend previews hosted by Dirk have been well produced.
                            That vid will get you pumped for some hockey.
                            MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
                            2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Conner gets called up:

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...onner-phantoms
                              Last edited by stuckinwi; 11-02-2015, 02:22 PM.
                              MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Mel P show takeaways:

They miss Steman - a critical piece on faceoffs/PK etc.
                                Petan would've been nice to have Saturday

Center really help out in D zone
                                Have to get better at turnover, and play on the right side of the puck

Evan Anderson did a real nice job, but wanted new bodies in
                                Vallis/Blacklock/P. Anderson a good line

See if Petan is ready today at practice.

We must be flying to Huntsville?? Mel said something like - get on the plane and head to Alabama.

BGSU next home games. Even with deer hunting, please get to the games.
                                Will have some recruits in town that Saturday, great to show them a full house.

Comment

Working...
                                X