This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    If we want to keep playing LSSU make them the early season tune up games and eliminate the "Canadian Whoevers". If Damon can get LSSU on track at least those games have a chance to mean something in a few years. Don't play LSSU as non-conference at the expense of another "good" series.

I agree that I've had my fill of Michigan and Sparty for a while. It was cool when it was the "first time in XX years" but now they are just old news again. The GLI will be there for the near future so no reason to play them outside those games.

Ryan J
    Agree with you on MI & MI.ST. We play every year in GLI. I would look at trying to schedule some of the old WCHA foes. No 2 for 1 deals with them though. Series here 1 year, then there the next year.
    Would like to see us kick some NACHO butts.
    MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
    2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

• Re: 95th Season of Hockey- Michigan Tech Huskies 2015-2016 - Thread #1

From mtu_huskies recap of the Pearson show, he never mentions playing LSSU non-conference next year? He says the series at Michigan and at State will get them up to 34, and that number includes the GLI.

From what I heard at the beginning of the year, the non-conference between Tech and LSSU would only be done if both teams were in need of games.

Comment

Originally posted by Laker Dude View Post
        From mtu_huskies recap of the Pearson show, he never mentions playing LSSU non-conference next year? He says the series at Michigan and at State will get them up to 34, and that number includes the GLI.

From what I heard at the beginning of the year, the non-conference between Tech and LSSU would only be done if both teams were in need of games.
        I thought it was set that NMU or LSSU would play LSSU in non-conference every season that they didn't play 4 times in conference. That starts next season for MTU. I'll look into it.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          I thought it was set that NMU or LSSU would play LSSU in non-conference every season that they didn't play 4 times in conference. That starts next season for MTU. I'll look into it.
          I know that is set with LSSU and NMU. Damon said something about LSSU also doing it with Tech if it fit into both teams schedules and they both needed games, so that is the only reason I am unsure if they plan to play non-conference next year or not.

Comment

It's a difficult problem: Scheduling LSSU etc is a cost containment move for both schools and makes sense if you can fit them in, especially in the years you only play them 2 times. I think having a couple of bye weeks is a good thing also..

If Duluth is willing to do a home and home... great. That's a good non con game, but it's tough getting them regularly because everyone wants them.
            I like that we are doing the ice breaker in two years. It seems to me that's an attempt to get away from the b1g. Though I have to admit it was really great to be able to go to Munn and see them. There were more Tech fans than MSU fans.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
              It's a difficult problem: Scheduling LSSU etc is a cost containment move for both schools and makes sense if you can fit them in, especially in the years you only play them 2 times. I think having a couple of bye weeks is a good thing also..

If Duluth is willing to do a home and home... great. That's a good non con game, but it's tough getting them regularly because everyone wants them.
              I like that we are doing the ice breaker in two years. It seems to me that's an attempt to get away from the b1g. Though I have to admit it was really great to be able to go to Munn and see them. There were more Tech fans than MSU fans.
              I don't have a problem continuing a deal with Michigan/MSU on a 1 for 1 basis in alternating years or a year 1/2 MSU, 3/4 Michigan setup...but with the GLI and the fact that the 4th team is going to involve the WCHA regularly now, we need to focus our NC on the other 48 teams...not the same 11 teams. As much as it hurts, they need to try and schedule the NCHC, or in the right years, do 2 year home/home deals with eastern teams. Overall, I really like the thought of trying to participate in the GLI and another tournament each year, whether its in Arizona, Minneapolis, Florida or the icebreaker, it gives MTU the chance to play more teams and with playing 2 different teams, its more likely one of them will result in a possible QWB (Yale, Michigan). In all honesty, if ASU figured out a more appropriately sized rink, I'd love for MTU to become the Michigan or Michigan State of that tournament.
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I don't have a problem continuing a deal with Michigan/MSU on a 1 for 1 basis in alternating years or a year 1/2 MSU, 3/4 Michigan setup...but with the GLI and the fact that the 4th team is going to involve the WCHA regularly now, we need to focus our NC on the other 48 teams...not the same 11 teams. As much as it hurts, they need to try and schedule the NCHC, or in the right years, do 2 year home/home deals with eastern teams. Overall, I really like the thought of trying to participate in the GLI and another tournament each year, whether its in Arizona, Minneapolis, Florida or the icebreaker, it gives MTU the chance to play more teams and with playing 2 different teams, its more likely one of them will result in a possible QWB (Yale, Michigan). In all honesty, if ASU figured out a more appropriately sized rink, I'd love for MTU to become the Michigan or Michigan State of that tournament.
                I'd agree with you about the Desert Classic. So many tech fans there compared to the rest, just the venue doesn't work. Would have no issue going there regularly, it was a good trip.
                MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                  I'd agree with you about the Desert Classic. So many tech fans there compared to the rest, just the venue doesn't work. Would have no issue going there regularly, it was a good trip.
                  When you refer to the venue do you just mean the size? Are there options in the area?

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                    When you refer to the venue do you just mean the size? Are there options in the area?
                    There are some options, but I don't really think any of them work. They really need an Amsoil size rink on campus or at least near campus to do it right...not sure what their future plans are. I know there has been alot of talk about the Coyotes moving out of glendale and moving east of downtown closer Mesa, which could make it an option for ASU, but an NHL building is just going to be too big, especially if students don't come. I don't seem them drawing enough to warrant even having the whole lower bowl open in an NHL sized rink.

Comment

There are some options, but I don't really think any of them work. They really need an Amsoil size rink on campus or at least near campus to do it right...not sure what their future plans are. I know there has been alot of talk about the Coyotes moving out of glendale and moving east of downtown closer Mesa, which could make it an option for ASU, but an NHL building is just going to be too big, especially if students don't come. I don't seem them drawing enough to warrant even having the whole lower bowl open in an NHL sized rink.
                      You like Amsoil? For how new it is they could have done better. Had a very complete tour, watched a few games there.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                        You like Amsoil? For how new it is they could have done better. Had a very complete tour, watched a few games there.
                        It certainly could be better, just speaking of the size. I've only attended a couple games there, and it was awhile ago...

Comment

The only way the WCHA is ever going to shake the unfair perception of being the AHA West, is to schedule and beat the almighty NCHC teams.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            The only way the WCHA is ever going to shake the unfair perception of being the AHA West, is to schedule and beat the almighty NCHC teams.
                            Or the ECAC.
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              for that to ever be a fair fight, we need more games in our buildings...and not to screw those up.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                The NCHC is not all its cracked up to be. In conference 5 of 8 teams are under.500. Overall 4 of 8 are under .500 winning % They really aren't all that good. I would only schedule them even up in games against each other
                                MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
                                2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Working...
                                X